First Class Degree Help Watch

apotoftea
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jasper.Paterson)
I feel the analogy works if you're talking about the difference between Oxford University and Chichester University or Thames Valley or an ex poly.

No?
Hate to break it to you but some of the external examiners for Chichester used to be from Oxford. Their reports were highly positive at time.
made_of_fail
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
degree classification is not universally standardised despite what certain members persistently claim.
adilmorrison
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No. If I import a bottle of champagne for 100s of pounds and buy a cheapo one from Sainsburys they wouldn't taste the same.
To be fair, you probably wouldn't be able to taste the difference...
Jasper.Paterson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by apotoftea)
Hate to break it to you but some of the external examiners for Chichester used to be from Oxford. Their reports were highly positive at time.
I'm using a university with lower entry requirements, but thanks for the info.
Jasper.Paterson
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by adilmorrison)
To be fair, you probably wouldn't be able to taste the difference...

Haha brilliant.
Azer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Look at it this way:

1) it should be quite obvious that students at the top universities are generally (of course with exceptions) better/smarter/more studious etc. than the students at the worst universities.

2) Students at the top universities work really hard. So do students at the lower universities, but they definitely do not work significantly harder (on average, again) than students at higher universities. Take a look at the Cambridge/Oxford forums to get an idea of how hard these students work.

3) If two groups of students, one more gifted than the other, work approximately equally hard (and I would even argue that the students at the better universities work harder than the students at the worse universities) then the group of more gifted students will learn more in the same time.

4) If final examinations were equally hard at all institutions, the more gifted group (which has learned more) would score significantly higher marks than the less gifted group. However, there is not a significant difference in the amount of 2.1s and 1s given at Oxbridge and at the bottom unis.

5) For the less gifted group to score approximately the same amount of high marks as the more gifted groups, the exams need to be easier.
TheQueenOfComputerScience
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Azer)
Look at it this way:

1) it should be quite obvious that students at the top universities are generally (of course with exceptions) better/smarter/more studious etc. than the students at the worst universities.

2) Students at the top universities work really hard. So do students at the lower universities, but they definitely do not work significantly harder (on average, again) than students at higher universities. Take a look at the Cambridge/Oxford forums to get an idea of how hard these students work.

3) If two groups of students, one more gifted than the other, work approximately equally hard (and I would even argue that the students at the better universities work harder than the students at the worse universities) then the group of more gifted students will learn more in the same time.

4) If final examinations were equally hard at all institutions, the more gifted group (which has learned more) would score significantly higher marks than the less gifted group. However, there is not a significant difference in the amount of 2.1s and 1s given at Oxbridge and at the bottom unis.

5) For the less gifted group to score approximately the same amount of high marks as the more gifted groups, the exams need to be easier.

With regards to point 4, it has been stated many times on this forum that there are proportionally more firsts awarded by Oxbridge, however I can't vouch for this.
apotoftea
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm using a university with lower entry requirements, but thanks for the info.
Just don't ever compare Chi to Thames Valley in the same sentence :p: Tis a good uni and I'm fed up of people knocking it. Some of the sports coures at Chi ask potential students for ABB.
Jasper.Paterson
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by apotoftea)
Just don't ever compare Chi to Thames Valley in the same sentence :p: Tis a good uni and I'm fed up of people knocking it. Some of the sports coures at Chi ask potential students for ABB.
Aha sorry!!
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Azer)
So the difference between 90.1% of students getting 2:1s or above at Oxford and 40.6% getting 2:1s or above at the University of East London is not significant? Well I'd love to hear the explanation for that one...

Indeed if you rank universities by good honours you get (with a few exceptions) a general trend of decreasing entry standards. I did a statistical analysis of this a while ago and there was a pretty good correlation.

[source: Times Good University Guide]
TheQueenOfComputerScience
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
So the difference between 90.1% of students getting 2:1s or above at Oxford and 40.6% getting 2:1s or above at the University of East London is not significant? Well I'd love to hear the explanation for that one...

Indeed if you rank universities by good honours you get (with a few exceptions) a general trend of decreasing entry standards. I did a statistical analysis of this a while ago and there was a pretty good correlation.

[source: Times Good University Guide]
Ah good, I was hoping someone would know the statistics :p: .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1111)
79.07%
Leave (294)
20.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed