Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    don't know loads of his playing. but I was mightily disappointed with his rach 3rd piano concerto interpretation, he absolutely RUINED the first movement for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopinmad)
    To claim he's the best may be a little ambitous, as it would be regarding anyone, however.

There is no "best" pianist; pianists play the music for the sake of the music and do not wish to be crudely compared to others, unless it is a competition.

But of course, we're all human, so every now again we're going to ask ourselves these questions, be them, in spirit, quite misplaced. To this end, we may find ourselves asking whether those who are recognized as "good" are, in fact, "the best".

Myself, I find I'm always listening to Martha . . .
    You really ought to listen to some Richter, I love his interpretations of Rachmaninoff concerti.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dream_theater)
    don't know loads of his playing. but I was mightily disappointed with his rach 3rd piano concerto interpretation, he absolutely RUINED the first movement for me.
    Of which recording do you speak? I've only listened to this youtube recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5mxU_7BTRA, but I found it absolutely wonderful, from the very beginning! I know of no one who plays the opening theme so wistfully, it's breathtaking!

How exactly did you find it to your displeasure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Languagesfreak)
    You really ought to listen to some Richter, I love his interpretations of Rachmaninoff concerti.
    Ah, most certainly will. Indeed, I'll take any excuse to listen to the Rach Concerti!

I have listened to quite a bit of Richter though, and am - to no surprise - a fan.

My favourite Richter part of my CD collection consists of the Schumann and Grieg Concerti . . . perhaps the Schumann more so.

He towers over the piano but, my oh my, he can play so softly and delicately, it's striking in the opening of the 'allegro affetuoso' of that Schumann.

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to Horowitz, one must first listen to a demonstration of his dynamic range. Listen to this short clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-umLy_5J3k&fmt=18 - Rachmaninoff's 12th Prelude from Op.32

ReputationRep:
    Of which recording do you speak? I've only listened to this youtube recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5mxU_7BTRA, but I found it absolutely wonderful, from the very beginning! I know of no one who plays the opening theme so wistfully, it's breathtaking!

How exactly did you find it to your displeasure?
    I loved it to! Can't understand how anyone couldn't. I can actually sit for hours listening to that on repeat lol. I have far too much spare time..

ReputationRep:
    Ah, most certainly will. Indeed, I'll take any excuse to listen to the Rach Concerti!

I have listened to quite a bit of Richter though, and am - to no surprise - a fan.

My favourite Richter part of my CD collection consists of the Schumann and Grieg Concerti . . . perhaps the Schumann more so.

He towers over the piano but, my oh my, he can play so softly and delicately, it's striking in the opening of the 'allegro affetuoso' of that Schumann.
    Richter's Schumann is sublime; up there with Kempff and Michelangeli. Do you have his Symphonic Etudes? Or Fantasia?

I love Richter... I just wish the RCA engineers had sucked rather less monumentally when they recorded his WTC. THe acoustic on that thing makes it all sound like ******* Debussy, except for a few which are really dry (and perhaps better for it, eg. Book II no.1). I can tell that his Bach is amazing, but I wish the microphones had been positioned differently; there is far too much reverb! Oh yea, and his Beethoven sonatas rule too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da Bachtopus)
    Richter's Schumann is sublime; up there with Kempff and Michelangeli. Do you have his Symphonic Etudes? Or Fantasia?

I love Richter... I just wish the RCA engineers had sucked rather less monumentally when they recorded his WTC. THe acoustic on that thing makes it all sound like ******* Debussy, except for a few which are really dry (and perhaps better for it, eg. Book II no.1). I can tell that his Bach is amazing, but I wish the microphones had been positioned differently; there is far too much reverb! Oh yea, and his Beethoven sonatas rule too...

Argh, I've not listened to any of them; I'll have to make sure I do at one point, particularly the Bach P & F; I'd be very interested to hear Richter's take on them.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.