Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Is this the garment that covers the entire face bar the eyes? Don't like it at all. I find it extremely segregational.
    Headscarf. Some may include the veil that covers the face as well except the eyes, but I think most don't find that to be compulsory.
    However, hijaab basically means to 'cover', therefore dressing modestly - a dress code both for males and females.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nigel_s)
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Is this the garment that covers the entire face bar the eyes? Don't like it at all. I find it extremely segregational.
    Nope... the hijab covers only the hair and ears. The face can be seen.

The veil is not compulsory in Islam.

ReputationRep:

Looks alright to me

To be honest just looks plain scary!

ReputationRep:
    with a lot of respect

ReputationRep:
    depending on what their personality is like.

though whenever im in a new place surrounded by people i dont know, I find it easier to talk to a girl with a hijab as they tend to be friendly though I've been proven wrong several times since i started sixth form

ReputationRep:
    i just see them as i see everyone else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member264988)
    with a lot of respect
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I couldnt care less to be honest. Theres a girl who wears one (or maybe its not one, it just covers her hair, nothing else, dunno what the different ones are called) that catches the bus with me every day and she's lovely. Though I am curious to see what her hair is like :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    Headscarf. Some may include the veil that covers the face as well except the eyes, but I think most don't find that to be compulsory.
    However, hijaab basically means to 'cover', therefore dressing modestly - a dress code both for males and females.
    Ah right. Well I certainly dont hold anything against the headscarf, but I think there's something rather intimidating about someone who refuses to show their face in public.

ReputationRep:
    I don't view them any differently, and treat them as equal, but I respect that they have limitations over what they can and can't do sometimes and you just have to adjust to it. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    depends on if they are proud to wear it or now. those that have made the choice to wear it... well i respect them and envy that they believe in something that much. it would also be nice not to be judged on physical appearance.
    but, there are some girls forced to wear it and i think thats wrong and feel sorry for them.

ReputationRep:
    With indifference. Some are the most 'normal' girls you'll ever come across

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghanglish)
    With indifference. Some are the most 'normal' girls you'll ever come across

ReputationRep:
    i think its kind of unnerving when you can see nothing but their eyes. its weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butthead7)
    i think its kind of unnerving when you can see nothing but their eyes. its weird.
    The hijaab only covers the hair...it's a headscarf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butthead7)
    But thats with the veil.

The hijaab covers just the hair and ears.

ReputationRep:
    Repressed? Not in most cases but if I see a girl on the street wearing one that is my first thought.

ReputationRep:
    Noooo, it's just the headscarf!

OP: I treat them like anyone else; I have hijab friends. I went to school in central London, so it's completely typical to see them/be friends with them. Plus, I'm half Arab (Christian), so I'm used to them.
    They're honestly just like you and me!

ReputationRep:
    Negatively - they are wearing a political statement (or a series of political statements) that I either strongly disagree with or find offensive.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.