How to get an A in Alevel english Lit essay? Watch

yellowwdaisy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Aramiss18)
Of course there must be some evidence of understanding the text in context. I just meant that when writing as essay if the question doesn't lend itself to a relevant one and a half page digression into the historical context then its better not to do so just for the sake of "well i better talk about the context". Otherwise you could end up not answering the question well enough for there to be sustained arguement. But obviously as you say it may well depend on the exam board.
yeah exactly- 'context' in an essay amounts to 1 or 2 sentences which strengthen whatever literary point is being argued in a paragraph- they should be as precise as possible- quality not quantity
yellowwdaisy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Playa_h8r)
thanks everyone

esp 2 "e-m-i-l-y" and "yellowwdaisy" those were answers i am looking for and you both proved "necessarily benevolent" wrong as these are magic formulas.

"vixky!" i am still w8n for ur post
happy to help- pm/ask anytime-seriously
I had 3 excellent english lit teachers who helped me get from not being able to even read the set texts and being incapable of writing an essay of any form (no joke) to getting 92% overall at A-level, getting into cambridge (mainly discussed literature in my mml interviews) and reading books about literary theory for pleasure-
as 99% of a-level students were not as fortunate, I feel like its the least I could do to try and pass on some of their wisedom (if i can!)

and yes- just remembering to tick the general boxes (close reading, context, crit, terminology) is the right place to start- a decent essay which clearly has everything needed will get you more marks than an extremely articulate, well-argued, coherent essay which really doesn't fit the brief (I think someone said 'just' write well and make good points or something)

learning how to be concise is really important too- you have to learn how to churn out an essay in basically 45minutes- there's no room for beating round the bush- also- makes perfect sense to really learn how to construct the bare bones of an argument- you can always develop that skill into writing longer essays (eventually theses), than if you are forever struggling to tighten up an uncontrolled, unorganised mass of knowledge and ideas (which is, I think, the case with most reasonably (or very) intelligent students- at university as well
twohanprincess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Even if it seems like crowbar-ing stuff in, hitting the AO's is key. You just have to play the game of structuring an essay around the AO's. In the poetry part of LTB5, for example, it's all about litcrit, right? The first word of my essay is always 'Critics.' Because I've immediately hit that AO and I'm not letting it go by unnoticed. It works for any exam question. Eg does the mariner have a strange power of speech?

Critics are often surprised at the hypnotic... etc etc.

Does the Mariner inspire terror or pity in the reader?

Critics marvel at Coleridge's ability to...

It works. It sounds obnoxious and forced, but what are AO's for? Good luck! I aimm to get an A overall... I hope!
00N
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i am doing AQA gce english lit A unit 1B (LTA1B)
#HELP# how can i start off and end properly..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (3)
42.86%
No - I got the required grades (3)
42.86%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads