i want to do some a levels early, advice. please Watch

JayAyy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh God...

You do not NEED to do all those A levels. Get the highest possible GCSEs, highest possbile AS results and get some extra curriculars and you should be fine.
Aramiss18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
One bit of advice from someone facing the pressures of turning into an adult - stop worrying when your so young!! Your gonna have to worry about all of this in 3-4 years time anyway so for time being...just go play football or something lol your only young once.
hamster33
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
but people get rejected with 3 A's its just not enough is it?
James2009
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't do it!!
I know people with straight A*s at GCSE and 6 AS at as level who got rejected from Oxford and people who got worse grades who got offers. You don't need a huge amount of A levels to get in to the best Unis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wouldnt give u an offer with that many A levels cos I'd suspect that you weren't a well rounded person. I made the mistake of taking more A/S levels than I needed and a regret it, somewhat. Concentrate on getting the grades and having lots of fun in the process. ; )

nolongerhearthemusic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hamster33)
but people get rejected with 3 A's its just not enough is it?
With hundreds of AAA candidates they will choose on other criteria, like personal statement and interview. You're probably better off doing loads of extra curriculars, volunteer work and reading around your subject.
oscarwildelike
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
But anyone can do that - no offence, but if you have four A* in English, History, Maths and Science at the end of A-Levels, it tells uni's that you probably could have got A's in 40 of them lol, getting more is nothing special. Uni's look for well rounded individuals, soo do something rounded, like doe ect.

again,why not just chill, or at least enough 2 get decent gcse's. Get a girl or boyfriend or w/e and get all the drunken k-holes out of ur system before college - all work and no play make jack a dull boy
hamster33
Rep:
?
i guess you guys are right. it wont help and i dont need it. i should focus on what am meant to be doing, and be having fun in the process.
thanks guys, i guess i was just worried.
am gonna put this stupid thought to bed now.
oscarwildelike
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
that is the exact course i wanna do btw - just read around the subject a bit and u will be fine - t'will teach u more than extra a-levelswill
O.o mY SaRcAsM
Report 9 years ago
it worked for me
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't do it.

/Thread.
explosions hurt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Please do economics. You will help to lower the grade boundaries.
freija
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ppe, oxford or warwick
You're talking to people who have been through the system and, when they tell you that A-levels are a lot of work, they know what they're talking about. Even the less challenging subjects require time be spent on them simply to keep up with the work. If you try to take on too much you physically will not have the hours in the week to do each qualification justice - and any university would rather see four A-grade A-levels with, say, 95% in each unit than ten C-grades or lower. If you're determined to sit an A-level early (I admire your dedication to work, but) sit one; if you can cope with that, take another next year - but for goodness' sake, you haven't even sat your mocks yet! You can't possibly know whether or not you'll be able to reach the standards you've already set yourself, let alone stretch to a handful of A-levels on top of that.

Obviously, you're not obliged to take the advice you're being given here. But I would; really. And use any time you have to learn more about your chosen subject so you'll have something to say at that Oxford interview besides reciting the contents of the Edexcel A2 Examiner's Reports (June 2001) for thirteen subjects.

In any case, best of luck with whatever you decide.
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I took AS Maths a year early in year 11 and I got Bs in C1/C2/S1 - I probably could have done better than that but as it turned out I only ended up needing to resit C1 (although I sat S1 twice in that year).

I think it could be a better idea if you did slightly fewer GCSEs , say 8 and got A*s in all of them but some AS modules.Don't think of doing more than four or five A-level units though , that's not going to work at all well for you.What others have said is true , Oxford will ask for your four best A2s at most so there's not a lot of point doing loads - certainly no more than 5 A2s is what I would say is the sensible limit.

It's a bit of a joke that all the old STEP/AEA papers for extremely able students have gone with the exception of Maths to be honest , the A* is no real replacement for that AFAIK but I'm going off on a bit of a tangent.
Maxxiv
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello little man - This is a fine idea as i did it myself.

Your best bet is to look at www.oxfordcollege.ac and look at the As/A-level's that they offer, more than the avg college.

They cost around £300 - £395 then you will have to pay for the exams to be taken at an external testing facility, such at your current school providing they are registered with the governing body who you are taking your exams with.

I would suggest you stay away from subjects such as Chemistry physics and Biology as they require alot of practical work.

As for a tutor go into your local college and find out if any of their tutors do any private work, they usually cost about £20 per hour

The curses at oxford college can be paid in £75 installments which is pretty good, and they offer unlimited online tutor support (which is quite good but i didnt use very much)
hamster33
Rep:
?
now i am confused at first people were like dont do it no need, and now nice good idea, why not?
help me decide!
Maxxiv
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you think you can do it then do i thought it was great and it shows that you can 'self motivate' which Uni's like. and it gets you ahead of the game, i did mine purely through the 'love of learning' so not really alot of motivation needed, and as a result i have done 2 LV4 diplomas (first year of uni) and a LV3 (3A-levels at A) aswell as Human Biology, Math and Geography it is worth it and you dont end up having to work as slow at all the other people in the class.
hamster33
Rep:
?
the oxford college long distance course sounds good.
but will it be too much?
faber niger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well i want to apply to the most competitive universities. The ones that reject students with 3 As! i would plan to do like 8 or 7 alevels if i did them at the normal time, but like this i could do 8 or 9 in total. I just want to give myself the best chances.
No university would think badly of a candidate with three As for that in itself.
Maxxiv
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well that depends how fast you want to do it , My math on i did the AS/A in 4 months - Which pretty much killed me. Their is about 300 hours of reading material they send you, plus own research of about 200 then read it all again about twice. Do one at a time tho dont order 2/3 and get overwhelmed because its just too hard.

(I ended up recording all my notes putting them on my IPOD and listened to them whenever i had the chance)

It cuts off your social life - like all of it which is bad

What do your parents think about it ?
GΣΣЌ
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Focus on your GCSEs. By taking on A-levels so early you may risk not doing so well in GCSEs. Also, it is not about how many subjects you do. As long as you are able to do really well in 3-4 A-levels you should be fine, do not do more than you need to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise