Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrotoxism)
    i see. i agree, but i'd say this only applies to a few select course (economics being one of them).

with regards to your second point; perhaps my anecdotal evidence isn't too representative then.

my bad. they're both excellent for economics and from an objective viewpoint it would be hard to put one above the other, i suppose.
    I'm glad that you are someone that can see farther than just the Cambridge name.

But out of curiosity (and by no means of any facetious or cunning or witty comment intended here), if you had firmed Cambridge, why are you continuing back-visiting this LSE forum?

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't say it has a bigger name but that its student body is far more ib-focussed, definitely not a bad thing, though.
    yea suppose, agree with your first point

jan actually did maths at cambridge for a year before realising that he was in such high demand (and couldn't network efficiently in cambridge) so he had to move to london.
    So i guess you could say that's where LSE comes ahead of cambridge in the way that people can network much easier being in london and all that. Even if you're not being headhunted to such an extent, it is still helpful.

he's a very special case, though. very, very, very, very few are headhunted to the extent jan was.
    Disagree here though,

not enough verys put in :p:

ReputationRep:
    Jan lives in 48 hour day's though. The only explanation of achieving THAT much lol..

ReputationRep:
    ermm whose this Jan? I wanna look into him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    So i guess you could say that's where LSE comes ahead of cambridge in the way that people can network much easier being in london and all that. Even if you're not being headhunted to such an extent, it is still helpful.
    investment banks very regularly visit cambridge to give talks and hardly anyone needs to network to the extent that they need to be near the financial district. my point is that whilst lse has the edge in this respect, this edge isn't as significant as you may think.

(Original post by Jinru)
    I'm glad that you are someone that can see farther than just the Cambridge name.

But out of curiosity (and by no means of any facetious or cunning or witty comment intended here), if you had firmed Cambridge, why are you continuing back-visiting this LSE forum?
    LSE is my insurance

ReputationRep:
    If you fancy doing Econs, there's no better place than LSE. I reckon you should consider them seriously, and also, you're going to be in the heart of London!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinru)
    10 A's at A-Level, £100,000 worth of scholarships, 3 start-up companies, 4-5 internships at investment banks, training for a triathlon/olympic hope at handball all while cruising to a 1st's from LSE.

If only I was gay...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinru)
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/jansramek

ReputationRep:
    investment banks very regularly visit cambridge to give talks and hardly anyone needs to network to the extent that they need to be near the financial district. my point is that whilst lse has the edge in this respect, this edge isn't as significant as you may think
    I'd go as far as saying Oxbridge actually has an edge for getting into IB. If you look at raw applications and application/place ratio, Oxbridge almost always comes out on top for FO roles. LSE get's more in in total purely for the fact that so many people from LSE apply to IB, whereas only about 30-50% (at max) of Oxbridge Econ'ers have IB in mind. You've got a damn good shot from either tbh at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz313)
    I'd go as far as saying Oxbridge actually has an edge for getting into IB. If you look at raw applications and application/place ratio, Oxbridge almost always comes out on top for FO roles. LSE get's more in in total purely for the fact that so many people from LSE apply to IB, whereas only about 30-40% (at max) of Oxbridge Econ'ers have IB in mind. You've got a damn good shot from either tbh at the end of the day.
    this is very true.

are you studying economics at university?

ReputationRep:
    wth, how old is he? Had so many experiences

ReputationRep:
    this is very true.

are you studying economics at university?
    Also, they undoubtably have an upper-hand for management consultancy applications, who are known for their bias towards Oxbridge students - which is where many of them choose to go rather than IB for the better work/life balance or even join the FSA amongst other places.

Not yet, Durham/Notts 09 grades pending =]

ReputationRep:
    I'd go as far as saying Oxbridge actually has an edge for getting into IB. If you look at raw applications and application/place ratio, Oxbridge almost always comes out on top for FO roles. LSE get's more in in total purely for the fact that so many people from LSE apply to IB, whereas only about 30-50% (at max) of Oxbridge Econ'ers have IB in mind. You've got a damn good shot from either tbh at the end of the day.
    Do you have any statistical evidence to support your claim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Webstersss)
    it does exist but i cba to find it right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Webstersss)
    Have a look in the IB&C forum.

ReputationRep:
    no offence OP but your paying £30,000+ for a degree not a social life.

ReputationRep:
    LSE duh. Ill see you there mate.

ReputationRep:
    LSE...also if you want to network/speak to the oversea chinese ppl on your course make sure you speak to them in the first lecture or 2, because once they spot the "others" they will form an exclusive social group and it will be awkward to join in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beef_Eater)
    no offence OP but your paying £30,000+ for a degree not a social life.
    mate you want to enjoy your time at university and so the degree and reputation is not everything.
    i enjoy learning if i am with people i can have a good time with.

to everyone else ... thanks for the advice ... but i have lived in london all my life and look set to live here when i am back so nottingham or warwick would provide a different atmosphere for a while.

are any current students here to provide any detail on the atmopshere and social aspects of the university?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    10 A's at A-Level, £100,000 worth of scholarships, 3 start-up companies, 4-5 internships at investment banks, training for a triathlon/olympic hope at handball all while cruising to a 1st's from LSE.

If only I was gay...
    WHat does this mean?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 26, 2009
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.