cambridge special access scheme??? Watch

ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by sleekchic)
It's probably too early but surely there's no harm in calling/emailing admissions to ask them about it.
do you follow me??

=p =p just messing XD

your helpfull so its all dandy ^^

and aye, i think its just like an extra sheet anyway...so even if they dont think it makes any difference i cant imagine it would be a detriment to any application.
SuperCat007
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi I have been phoning around as I've had a disrupted education due to illness and family bereavement etc and I definately qualify for the scheme. It's not too early, the sooner you find out the better. I phoned the CSAS phone number in the prospectus pg13 (I think!) and talked to them, they were really nice and said I qualified. I also then went on to phone around colleges and ask them, some were more accomodating than others but if you're interested then it's never too soon to find out. I hope you get on alright.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperCat007)
Hi I have been phoning around as I've had a disrupted education due to illness and family bereavement etc and I definately qualify for the scheme. It's not too early, the sooner you find out the better. I phoned the CSAS phone number in the prospectus pg13 (I think!) and talked to them, they were really nice and said I qualified. I also then went on to phone around colleges and ask them, some were more accomodating than others but if you're interested then it's never too soon to find out. I hope you get on alright.
ah ok =]

thanks alot =]
qkjfcj
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I am currently studying for three as levels in History, English Literature and English Language, i am predicted BBB (due to low attendance) but im hoping to get AAA

i have a diagnosis of a mental illness and was admitted into a phsychiatric hospital twice during my schooling (once in year 9 for 6 months and year 11 for two months)

Due to low attendance i have also been asked to continue work for my history as independently
I am also dyspraxic if that means anything

i am however confident that i can achieve AAB in my as levels and wondered if i would qualify for the cambridge special access scheme, and how likely a conditional offer would be for a person in my situation, i also have no extra cirricular activities and am only doing 3 as levels... i dont exactly have the bext track record when it comes to school either

any information would be appreciated

(i also want to apply to study english literature)
numb3rb0y
Badges: 3
Report 9 years ago
From the research I did on CSAS this year, there is no clear set of rules to who would be eligible, but I believe you would be, as long as your teachers supported your doing so. CSAS, as I understand it, is largely there to guarantee you get an interview when your on-paper educational record wouldn't normally be good enough, and then if you are thought to be worthy of a Cam offer, possibly to lead to a lower offer, so you'd probably benefit from it.
emilY?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...forms/csas.pdf

Take a look at the above for info

They try to view each case separately in order to build up a whole picture of you as a candidate so there's probably no kind of rule you can apply as to whether they'd be fine with your AS levels, or whatever. They probably want to have a certain degree of confidence you can "cope" with the whole Cambridge thing too - as in you're not too far behind as a result of disruptions to your education. I wouldn't worry too much about the extra-currics, they're basically used to show you have "spare capacity" to cope with the rigours of Cambridge workloads.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
(Original post by numb3rb0y)
From the research I did on CSAS this year, there is no clear set of rules to who would be eligible, but I believe you would be, as long as your teachers supported your doing so. CSAS, as I understand it, is largely there to guarantee you get an interview when your on-paper educational record wouldn't normally be good enough, and then if you are thought to be worthy of a Cam offer, possibly to lead to a lower offer, so you'd probably benefit from it.
o, ok i understand now, plus i suppose the interview would be the deciding factor. Seems like a good scheme
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilY?)
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...forms/csas.pdf

Take a look at the above for info

They try to view each case separately in order to build up a whole picture of you as a candidate so there's probably no kind of rule you can apply as to whether they'd be fine with your AS levels, or whatever. They probably want to have a certain degree of confidence you can "cope" with the whole Cambridge thing too - as in you're not too far behind as a result of disruptions to your education. I wouldn't worry too much about the extra-currics, they're basically used to show you have "spare capacity" to cope with the rigours of Cambridge workloads.
yea i had seen that but found the terms a little abiguous.
=]

thanks, im not really far behind and tbh most of the affect was on my GCSE's, ahh well cant hurt.

thanks again =]
emilY?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by paddy__power)
yea i had seen that but found the terms a little abiguous.
=]

thanks, im not really far behind and tbh most of the affect was on my GCSE's, ahh well cant hurt.

thanks again =]

Ooh sorry, two threads were merged - my response was at the poster two above mine, hence the lack of quoting!

But yes, sorry to replicate links!
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilY?)
Ooh sorry, two threads were merged - my response was at the poster two above mine, hence the lack of quoting!

But yes, sorry to replicate links!
no harm no foul =]
Pigeon Explosion
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I applied through the special access scheme, was interviewed and now have an offer, I need to get 92% average UMS in each of my four A2 subjects. I'm not sure exactly how the CSAS was applied in my case, although it may be what got me my interview, as I only have three A*s at GCSE.
literatureloversarah92
Report 8 years ago
Hi I was just wondering whether I would be eligiable for CSAS or not.....

In year 9 I developed a serious eating disorder, meaning I missed alot of time off school for doctors sessions etc, then in year 10 (at the start of my GCSE course) my illness got worse and I was admitted into hospital for 6 months, where I did bearly any work! when I came out I relaspsed and missed the next few months. I only really started back at school for year 11, so only studied my GCSE's for one year having to self teach what I had missed. Because of this my GCSE grades were slightly lower (2A*'s 2A's and 5B's). I do strongly feel that dealing with this illness has hindered my performance, would I qualify?

Thank you for your help
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by literatureloversarah92)

In year 9 I developed a serious eating disorder, meaning I missed alot of time off school for doctors sessions etc, then in year 10 (at the start of my GCSE course) my illness got worse and I was admitted into hospital for 6 months, where I did bearly any work! when I came out I relaspsed and missed the next few months. I only really started back at school for year 11, so only studied my GCSE's for one year having to self teach what I had missed. Because of this my GCSE grades were slightly lower (2A*'s 2A's and 5B's). I do strongly feel that dealing with this illness has hindered my performance, would I qualify?

Thank you for your help
Lol, my posts in this thread were so stupid XD.

Yes you qualify - there is no qualification as such. You qualify if you feel that a certian event (or an amalgam of several) caused you to obtain grades significantly lower than you would have should these factors not have been present.

They will decide how small/large an amount your circumstances mitigate any lack of achievement etc. It can't hurt to try.

Best of luck.

(It won't definitley secure you an interview btw - common misconception)
literatureloversarah92
Report 8 years ago
Thank you
cheesymunchkin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Thank you for your help
Hello, thought I'd add my two cents
I've been in a similar situation to you. I've suffered with anorexia since I was 13 and was hospitalised for 6 months during Year 10. I had constant therapy/medical appointments throughout Year 11 and relapsed during the exam period. I managed to come out with 10 A*s and an A at GCSE. Then, in year12 during my AS exams, I relapsed pretty badly. I was hospitalised for another 4 months last year and have since been home, but still suffer from depression and am underweight. I managed 4 As at AS and applied to Cambridge, getting an offer.
My personal advice would be to not apply via CSAS. When I was going through the whole UCAS process, I was in hospital at the time so doing everything alone, but my teachers did suggest I think about applying that way. I talked it over with family, friends and my treatment team and decided to simply add to the disability part of the UCAS form that I had been having treatment for 4 years (mental health problems come under that heading). I definitely think it was the right thing to do. It is obviously completely up to you, but I really encourage you to think about it. My personal reasons for applying normally were that a) I wanted to get in on my own personal merit b) I didn't want it to come across as a weakness in my application and c) I didn't need to make excuses for my grades.
As for yourself, I don't think you need to either! Your GCSEs really aren't bad, I have friends with offers who had no A*s at all. As long as you can work hard for your AS and A Levels, you shouldn't have a disadvantage. Also, I know CSAS isn't supposed to do this, but I think I may have been less likely to get a place had I applied with it. Competition was so tough at the college i applied to for my subject, and as I got pooled, I think if I had drawn attention to my illness I may have appeared a weaker candidate - especially in the pool. I don't know, this is purely speculation of course, but thats just how I see it. On the other hand, if you really feel you underperformed hugely, perhaps it will help you out. I'd say just think it over, and really weigh up the pros and cons.
Good luck! And remember, your health is more important that anything else xxx
literatureloversarah92
Report 8 years ago
hey - thanks for the advice.

My GCSE grades are far worse than yours - I was the same, lots of appointments etc and family issues. I don't want to look weak, but with my results I surely wouldn't be taken seriously by Cambridge :confused: and I would love to study there!!

Shall I just give up now?
Scary Monster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
One of the best descriptions I've come across of CSAS is that it offers the opportunity to explain any oddities or unusual background circumstances to your education and exam track record.

If there's been something or somethings that have had a significant impact on your ability to learn, or your education then CSAS offers the extra space for that to be explained which means that your application is then considered in context. As a general guide, application forms are read with standard education, general good health, relatively stable family life and assuming the applicant has no extra responsibilities other than those you'd expect of a teenager.

If that generic scenario is significantly different then a standard application doesn't paint the full picture of your achievements - hence CSAS existing.

It won't guarentee an interview, and it won't get you a lower offer. The only thing associated with offers it might get you, depending on the circumstances is more leeway if you get an offer and don't quite make it.
smilepea
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The one thing I would say is don't think of applying through the CSAS as an excuse, it's just a way of Cambridge getting all the information they need in order to make an informed decision.
cheesymunchkin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hey - thanks for the advice.

My GCSE grades are far worse than yours - I was the same, lots of appointments etc and family issues. I don't want to look weak, but with my results I surely wouldn't be taken seriously by Cambridge and I would love to study there!!

Shall I just give up now?
Ah, I feel really bad now! I didn't meant to put you off or make you view CSAS as an excuse...its not at all, and you should definitely apply! All I meant was I think perhaps you should wait and see how you do in your AS levels and then consider whether you need to use it or not. Its completely individual, and it may well be the right thing to do. I was just trying to give you an alternative opinion based on my own experiences...please do apply, and do whatever you think is right for you
Good luck!
xxx
literatureloversarah92
Report 8 years ago
Oh Gosh!! don't think that it is you - you know the illness it makes you think that you are not good enough - I really appreciate an alternative view!! Thank you - do you have an offer??

xxxxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed