Turn on thread page Beta

Standard Grade Mathematics watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Standard Grade or Intermediate?
    Standard Grade (Foundation,General,Credit)
    85.71%
    Intermediate ( 1 or 2 )
    14.29%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nonie No)
    As do most who are in Credit classes; you can't get through the H maths course otherwise.

I haven't heard of anyone doing this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
    I haven't heard of anyone doing this.

Good Credit class S3 > prelim Jan S4; start Higher course.

Saves the dreaded two-term dash. Both my kids did it that way. Both As.

ReputationRep:
    Good Credit class S3 > prelim Jan S4; start Higher course.

Saves the dreaded two-term dash. Both my kids did it that way. Both As.

Not much point in that, really. The Higher course isn't that demanding.

ReputationRep:
    Not much point in that, really. The Higher course isn't that demanding.
    Why drag your heels in the SG course, when it's not necessary?

ReputationRep:
    As do most who are in Credit classes; you can't get through the H maths course otherwise.
    Are you trying to say you can't do Higher Maths in a year?

ReputationRep:

Why advance to Higher, when it's not necessary? I'm not a huge fan of tirelessly pushing kids forward when there's no need.

ReputationRep:
    I found the standard grade course quite difficult, only really understand it in the last two weeks - I completely needed that time.

Managed the higher without starting early fine enough.

ReputationRep:
    Why advance to Higher, when it's not necessary? I'm not a huge fan of tirelessly pushing kids forward when there's no need.
    So what do you advocate? A bit of thumb twiddling for a few months?

Failing to see your logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    I found the standard grade course quite difficult, only really understand it in the last two weeks - I completely needed that time.

Managed the higher without starting early fine enough.
    That's odd. I know lots of people who found Standard Grade really easy, and struggle with the higher course. I'd say there is a considerable increase in difficulty between the two levels, but it's still possible to do it within one year.

ReputationRep:
    So what do you advocate? A bit of thumb twiddling for a few months?

Failing to see your logic.

What kind of standard are we dealing with here? Are we talking class sizes of 30? Or 5 with one teacher?

Who says you have to rush through it so there is any thumb twiddling at all? Rushing through it will only help the more able of the class and will only hurt the less able.

Barely any logic in your thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    That's odd. I know lots of people who found Standard Grade really easy, and struggle with the higher course. I'd say there is a considerable increase in difficulty between the two levels, but it's still possible to do it within one year.
    Thank you!

And surely, then, it's easier to do it in a year and the extra few months!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

And surely, then, it's easier to do it in a year and the extra few months!!
    Hmnn. To be honest it's not the length of time that you have to do it in that's the issue for many, it's the relative difficulty. An extra month or two may not necessarily benefit you all that much in such a case.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of standard are we dealing with here? Are we talking class sizes of 30? Or 5 with one teacher?

Who says you have to rush through it so there is any thumb twiddling at all? Rushing through it will only help the more able of the class and will only hurt the less able.

Barely any logic in your thought.
    Run-of-the-mill Scottish comprehensive S4 maths class: high 20s.

Where's the logic in a slow two year plough through the SG course, then Aug-May for the Higher?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Where's the logic in a slow two year plough through the SG course, then Aug-May for the Higher?:confused:

Because they're 15. Where's the rush? It is entirely possible to do it in a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    I had no motivation whatsoever for standard grade.

I think starting higher early is only a good idea if you've got a very able class. I think it's a bit presumptuous to assume everyone wants to do the higher anyway.

Another point is that those who are able to do standard grade in a shorter period of time are likely to be those who can handle higher in a year, so it just means they'll be thumb twiddling at the end of that year instead.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're 15. Where's the rush? It is entirely possible to do it in a year.
    There IS no rush. SG perfectly coverable in 18 months. H at a more leisurely pace. Win, win situation.

Speaking as a parent and a teacher, I can see the merit. And you are wholly entitled to disagree

ReputationRep:
    I see what you mean Nonie No, but couldn't you apply the same thing to other levels? To the most able higher is coverable in less than a year. They could then have more time for the advanced higher.

Most people I know that struggle in higher do so not because of time, but because of difficulty. If you do highers at a leisurely pace, that's not great preparation for advanced highers and university. I think it's best to take things as they come.

ReputationRep:
    It should also be remembered that Highers are reputable because the ARE difficult, not neccesarily due to course content itself, but the sheer volume of it. Doing 5 highers at once is a challenge, doing them over say a year and a half sort of takes away from that. Do we want grade inflation like the A-Level? Do we want people to feel they need to gain band 1's in everything to stand out? Like A-Level students will now feel with the A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    I see what you mean Nonie No, but couldn't you apply the same thing to other levels? To the most able higher is coverable in less than a year. They could then have more time for the advanced higher.

Most people I know that struggle in higher do so not because of time, but because of difficulty. If you do highers at a leisurely pace, that's not great preparation for advanced highers and university. I think it's best to take things as they come.
    And that's how they did come. And it was to their (and many others') advantage.

Anyway, enough of this maths stuff. I got my Higher in the dim and distant past, when we didn't have recourse to calculators! English is my thing!

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.