Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabriela)
    For the interview do you need to be "ticking" on all the news concerning law etc.?
    i can imagine this being useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palladio)
    Yeah and I'm working my butt off for these Summer GCSEs, want over 5A*s hopefully but we'll see how it goes.

And you might want to know:

'Applications/acceptances 2008
    1,123/206'

So that's about 1 in 6 (almost-ish)

Edit: That's Cambridge.

As many A*s as you can muster....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and I'm working my butt off for these Summer GCSEs, want over 5A*s hopefully but we'll see how it goes.

And you might want to know:

'Applications/acceptances 2008
    1,123/206'

So that's about 1 in 6 (almost-ish)

Edit: That's Cambridge.
    I hope you get all A*'s, I am predicted all A* but we'll see how i go. Are you going to be doing any further reading and what (if it's not a secret of course )

Good luck for the summer!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighSkies)
    Well, its not easy by any means. :rolleyes:

If you want to stand out then work experience would be necessary.
    Depending on whether you want to apply to oxford or cambridge, Cambridge will require A*AA for A-Levels grade-wise and oxford currently AAA. Judging by what you said, your in year 11? GCSE grades mainly composed of A*s and the rest A's will be pretty much needed too. (I did look at the websites to find out that information btw.) You should do enough work experience till you feel you know whether you want to do law or not for certain.
    This is false. Law is an academic subject, not a strictly vocational one. That is what the LPC and BVC is for. The relevant work experience for which would be the vac scheme and pupillage, respectively. You only consider these things in the second year of your degree.

Not only does 'work experience' at this stage add absolutely no advantage, a pronounced stress of it can conversely disadvantage. Tutors are looking for students who are genuinely interested in the study of law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schoolstudent)
    people at cambridge for maths/with offers:
    -what extra curriculars did you have?
    -part time job?
    -what did you put about maths and further reading you'd done in personal statement. what sort of further reading were they after at interview? did they ask about what you'd read?
    -what exam results did you have? did you mention maths challenge and olympiad challenges, or did you leave them out/not enter them/not do well in them? had you already sat STEP examinations before applying?
    I have a friend who has an offer from Cambridge for Maths so will have a go at these. She has no extra curriculars (to speak of), no part time job and had done no further reading. She had practically full marks in every single A level module and hadn't dropped a mark at Maths since GCSE, or perhaps before. Her offer includes STEP obviously but she hadn't already sat any of them. Basically she's a genius, and that's what they want. I hope you are too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabriela)
    I hope you get all A*'s, I am predicted all A* but we'll see how i go. Are you going to be doing any further reading and what (if it's not a secret of course )

Good luck for the summer!!!
    Thanks, you too. I'm predicted them too but you know how random stuff can be thrown at you in exams. Like English where you might get something good to describe or the view from your bedroom window. :/

I just read that the LNAT wont affect Cambridge after 2010 and they'll be a Cambridge Law Test. And to your question, I'll probably do reading to boost my knowledge and learn some terms etc but we wont predict what the questions will be so shouldn't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cerise)
    This is false. Law is an academic subject, not a strictly vocational one. That is what the LPC and BVC is for. The relevant work experience for which would be the vac scheme and pupillage, respectively. You only consider these things in the second year of your degree.

Not only does 'work experience' at this stage add absolutely no advantage, a pronounced stress of it can conversely disadvantage. Tutors are looking for students who are genuinely interested in the study of law.
    Wow this is amazing information. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Whoever negged me- :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schoolstudent)
    what about maths challenge/BMO1 or 2? does the dropping no marks include those exams:eek: ?
    Really unsure. But she's been a maths prodigy ever since she started the school. She applied to Christ's, Cambridge and got pooled for reasons unknown to Robinson.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, you too. I'm predicted them too but you know how random stuff can be thrown at you in exams. Like English where you might get something good to describe or the view from your bedroom window. :/
    Well, yeah English is the one I am not sure about and now in two weeks time we have a Lit mock lol
    We will be fine. Jut have to think positive as we are not the first ones and surely not the last ones trying to succeed. Just keep your head up and don't over-study!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I went to the cambridge law conference and they pushed that 'What about Law' book quite a lot, might be useful as reading - has case examples and lots of info on different aspects of law. I found it quite interesting and I've already decided I want to do History lol

http://www.whataboutlaw.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    I went to the cambridge law conference and they pushed that 'What about Law' book quite a lot, might be useful as reading - has case examples and lots of info on different aspects of law. I found it quite interesting and I've already decided I want to do History lol

http://www.whataboutlaw.co.uk/
    Thanks for the link i might buy the book, if Unis love it so much lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    As many A*s as you can muster....
    This.

Not that I agree it should be the case, but still: This. This. Thiiiiiiiiissssssss. Uhum.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how Oxbridge is with one gnvq 'equivalent' to a gcse?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link i might buy the book, if Unis love it so much lol
    Well don't quote me on it lol, it’s what they pushed at Cambridge but then again it was written by Cambridge professors lol , it is a good book though and would probably be helpful to you if you are looking to study law.

ReputationRep:
    LOL. Not Oxbridge.

Meeting university entry requirements = AAA and very good GCSEs.

Sound background = what? Work experience? Extra reading/extra curricular/extra whatever?

===

Not necessarily 'being ok' and the statistics don't bear this out either.
    If you read what I put again you will see that I said if you meet the University course entry requirement then you should be fine ok. If Oxbridge requires you to get AAA* and you get AAA* grades then theoretically you should be ok, however if you meet that entry requirement and everyone else who applied also meets the entry requirement and there is a shortage of places on the course then obviously a sound background in the subject of choice would put you at an advantage to the other applicants who have shown to a lesser degree that they belong on the course, and a sound background in any subject can be achieved in lots of different ways

PS: Nobody likes a smart arse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovefatchicks)
    If you read what I put again you will see that I said if you meet the University course entry requirement then you should be fine ok. If Oxbridge requires you to get AAA* and you get AAA* grades then theoretically you should be ok, however if you meet that entry requirement and everyone else who applied also meets the entry requirement and there is a shortage of places on the course then obviously a sound background in the subject of choice would put you at an advantage to the other applicants who have shown to a lesser degree that they belong on the course, and a sound background in any subject can be achieved in lots of different ways

But I'm afraid you don't know what you're talking about. This whole "if you do this and this and this then you'll be fine" mentality may apply to other universities but it doesn't to Oxbridge and arguably not to Durham either. It's essentially a lottery.

PS: Nobody likes an ignoramous.

ReputationRep:

For one, only a minority will even be applying with AAA. The difference between actual grades and mere predictions matters significantly.

ReputationRep:
    But I'm afraid you don't know what you're talking about. This whole "if you do this and this and this then you'll be fine" mentality may apply to other universities but it doesn't to Oxbridge and arguably not to Durham either. It's essentially a lottery.

PS: Nobody likes an ignoramous.
    Can you please stop quoting me

ReputationRep:
    Can you please stop quoting me
    Right back at ya.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 28, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.