Turn on thread page Beta

The Political Party system is broken - is there another way? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    You vastly over-estimate human intelligence.
    Haha, you sort of have a point if I was being realistic (as i am being today, compared to the optimistic me yesterday night).

But I believe the process would improve human intelligence none the less. As it would encourage people to take an interest and form opinions on things that don't necessarily concern them or that they would have been bothered about prior to such a process.

I really think that the majority of people don't give a **** about many things anymore due to the lack of say they have or that they are told what to think and almost brainwashed into this state of mind.

ReputationRep:
    I think direct democracy is actually feasable in some form thanks to technology. Before, it was considered too impractical as everyone would have to travel in order to vote for themselves. Now it could be done with the click of a mouse. Why do we need representatives when we can (now) easily represent ourselves?

Alternatively, a change to voting on individual issues would cut out the corrupt middle-man (the politician) and allow the country to move forward in true neo-democratic style.
    Meh a nice vision but there is two huge problems. Firstly we need some sort of group to lead us otherwise who does for instance various world leaders come and see when they need to speak about issues? You would need some sort of rep/leader and these rep/leaders presumably would need to be elected and therefore owe allegiance to a sector of society and therefore re-create the party system.

Secondly who does the informing and analysing of the problems in our society? Whoever it is would have a lot of power over the people in the same way that our leaders do at the moment because they would be deciding what issues we need to vote on etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouz)
    Haha, you sort of have a point if I was being realistic (as i am being today, compared to the optimistic me yesterday night).

But I believe the process would improve human intelligence none the less. As it would encourage people to take an interest and form opinions on things that don't necessarily concern them or that they would have been bothered about prior to such a process.

I really think that the majority of people don't give a **** about many things anymore due to the lack of say they have or that they are told what to think and almost brainwashed into this state of mind.
    It wouldnt improve anything except giving rupert murdoch more power...People unfotunately tend to form opinions based on the media and what they say/only ever read things which support their views. Which is fine, until you think about what arrogantgit has already said - that the majoirty of people in this country read the sun, and a huge proportion of the rest read the daily mail.

People are also massively contrary, for instance, the majority favour bringing back the death penalty, while at the same time moan about how much we have to pay to keep prisoners in prison etc and would vote to pay less for prison services. Who would win in that case? noone really, poor prison services leads to more crime when people are released, and the death penatly costs A LOT.

It is nice that you have such faith in people though...but im just not sure its founded or realistic

ReputationRep:
    http://www.juryteam.org/ want something new.

Even http://lordsoftheblog.net/ want your input - and they're not even elected!!!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.