Turn on thread page Beta

Virus on a Mac watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Scrap that...it sorted out google search for me - but not yahoo (links take me to results.yahoo.com which then redirects me) ... so I guess I had more than one problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasper.Paterson)
    Macs are almost virus free. Whether what your mac mini has is a virus, debatable.

Have you tried reinstalling safari or trying a different browser? As 'it' only affects Safari and not any of your files this should cure the problem.

Get either Tiger or Leopard (if the latter runs on your spec). There is more stability on both of these versions.

Edit: Most people who are giving you advice are Windows users, Macs are completely different when it comes to anything. I've yet to see a proper Virus on a Mac (in the last 4 years), any trojans etc that have existed are dealt with by Apple within the fortnight and ERASED.
    I use Windows and a Mac. Use a different browser? Seriously? Whether it's a virus or not, using another browser isn't going to help get rid of the root cause of the problem That's like telling someone who finds it painful to walk to stop walking.

ReputationRep:
    Yayy!! Fixed it!!! Basically the trojan I deleted earlier was only part of the problem. I found a few mac websites,which led me to this 'http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071031114140 862&query=trojan' which told me to rewrite a few things. Now I can use search engines without being redirected and don't have any vimax adverts!

ReputationRep:
    Macs are almost virus free. Whether what your mac mini has is a virus, debatable.

Have you tried reinstalling safari or trying a different browser? As 'it' only affects Safari and not any of your files this should cure the problem.

Get either Tiger or Leopard (if the latter runs on your spec). There is more stability on both of these versions.

Edit: Most people who are giving you advice are Windows users, Macs are completely different when it comes to anything. I've yet to see a proper Virus on a Mac (in the last 4 years), any trojans etc that have existed are dealt with by Apple within the fortnight and ERASED.
    If that's the case, how did a trojan dating back to October 2007 infect the OP's Mac?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s_k)
    Yayy!! Fixed it!!! Basically the trojan I deleted earlier was only part of the problem. I found a few mac websites,which led me to this 'http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071031114140 862&query=trojan' which told me to rewrite a few things. Now I can use search engines without being redirected and don't have any vimax adverts!
    Glad it's fixed. I had a feeling it would be something like that - there's a similar attack on Windows that edits the hosts file and often causes a lot of hassle for the user as it generally blocks any resources that tell you how to fix the problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddlove)
    I use Windows and a Mac. Use a different browser? Seriously? Whether it's a virus or not, using another browser isn't going to help get rid of the root cause of the problem That's like telling someone who finds it painful to walk to stop walking.
    If it's specific to Safari then using firefox would fix the prob no?

It's not like that, awful analogy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    If that's the case, how did a trojan dating back to October 2007 infect the OP's Mac?
    I wasn't talking specifically about the OP's case. Apple don't update previous versions of OS X (10.3.9 in this case), so they wouldn't release a security update covering this 'trojan'. Hence why I told the OP to install latest version of the OS instead of processor and time consuming virus checking software.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't talking specifically about the OP's case. Apple don't update previous versions of OS X (10.3.9 in this case), so they wouldn't release a security update covering this 'trojan'. Hence why I told the OP to install latest version of the OS instead of processor and time consuming virus checking software.
    Why not? MS still update their older OS's for years into their retirement. Panther 10.3.9 is less than 4 years old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Why not? MS still update their older OS's for years into their retirement. Panther 10.3.9 is less than 4 years old.

I'm as shocked as you. Let's get sign a petition.

ReputationRep:
    If it's specific to Safari then using firefox would fix the prob no?

It's not like that, awful analogy.
    On a superficial level yes. But as I said, if you read my post properly, it doesn't solve the root cause of the problem. Whatever is causing it would still be there, and could be doing other things too (stealing passwords, keylogging etc. although this is probably a lot less likely on OS X than Windows).

Anyway, thanks for the useless rep, hah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddlove)
    On a superficial level yes. But as I said, if you read my post properly, it doesn't solve the root cause of the problem. Whatever is causing it would still be there, and could be doing other things too (stealing passwords, keylogging etc. although this is probably a lot less likely on OS X than Windows).

Anyway, thanks for the useless rep, hah
    I did read it properly. You're assuming the 'virus' is embedded within the OS which is the most unlikely as Safari is pretty flawed whereas the OS is a billion and one times more secure. Obviously this was before we knew what it was

No worries. Thanks back at you for the rubbish rep I'm guessing.

ReputationRep:
    Macs get viruses? Uh oh I better start being careful I didn't think it was possible, what sort of format does the virus come on? I assume they are dmg's?

ReputationRep:
    Are there viruses on Macs?

Yes.

Do they generally cause an issue?

No, since there are so few, Apple can examine the virus and patch the hole pretty quickly, unlike Microsoft, who have to just try and plug every hole they can since they don't know where they're going to be hit next

Why are there so few for Macs?

If you're writing a virus, generally you want to cause widespread havoc. Why target less than 10% of the worlds computers by writing a mac virus, when you can target 88% of the world's computers by writing a windows virus?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.