£46 award for innocent man's 27 years in pris Watch

Nick_000
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by h82think)
But a lot of lawyers tell their clients to say they are guilty (even if they are not) to get a lighter sentence!
Lol.

That may be true for petty crimes but any lawyer who tells an innocent person to confess to a rape and murder charge is a complete and utter moron.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
u spend 27 years locked up wrongfully then when you finally get released he isnt given enough for a train journey home.
bet he is gutted
OhNO!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Scandalous.
LH123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Norfolkadam)
In that case there should be a thorough investigation into the situation surrounding the interviews and the way the case was handled.
Exactly, although after watching Red Riding I am not sure how much good an investigation would do. :ninja: :p:
fallout?
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
say if he was made to sign under duress? why would any sane man confess to a murder they didnt commit.
Nick_000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fallout?)
say if he was made to sign under duress? why would any sane man confess to a murder they didnt commit.
He isn't sane - "Hodgson, who requires psychiatric care and is described as deeply institutionalised".
Slick 'n' Shady
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kat2pult)
Gosh, the gov't f it up again.
Damn right!
stepheatstoast
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by -Christiana)
Mathematical genius here! :yep:
No sarcasm here btw.

What was the government thinking? :eek:
Lol it does say it in the article but i'll take being a mathematical genius
-Christiana
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by stepheatstoast)
Lol it does say it in the article but i'll take being a mathematical genius
Sure sure.
Hey guys, I think I've found the person who can figure out the Riemann hypothesis! :tongue:
& she's female. girl power.
Darkness and Mist
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nick_000)
Lol.

That may be true for petty crimes but any lawyer who tells an innocent person to confess to a rape and murder charge is a complete and utter moron.

He was a pathological liar, had mental health issues and was probably pushed into confession by questionable interrogation methods used at the time.
Anonymous Boy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ridiculous and points out the errors of the UK justice system.

He should be given millions for his asking when to pee and so on.

Fox
Nick_000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Darkness and Mist)
He was a pathological liar, had mental health issues and was probably pushed into confession by questionable interrogation methods used at the time.
I'm aware of that. I even pointed it out to another poster.

I was simply pointing out to the member that I was replying to, that a lawyer wouldn't tell his client to plead guilty to a rape and murder charge for a lesser sentance if innocence could possibly be proved.
kriscs1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I read the £46 as £46k at first because that would have been reasonable.
mja
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you all stopped jumping to conclusions you would realise that the £46 isn't compensation for 27 years in prison. It is just a standard sum paid to released prisoners.

Undoubtedly this chap will put in a significant compensation claim to the Home Office. He is also bringing various lawsuits. The likely payout will be very significant indeed. But this £46 simply doesn't have anything to do with that.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Clueless. There should be sanctioned compensation for all wrongful imprisonment, as it seems that officials can't get it right.
mja
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
Clueless. There should be sanctioned compensation for all wrongful imprisonment, as it seems that officials can't get it right.
There is. He'll be applying for it. These things take a little time. And the £46 has nothing to do with what he'll eventually get.
ashy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by LooieENG)
Disgusting smh
"smh"?
quadruple_twist
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kriscs1)
I read the £46 as £46k at first because that would have been reasonable.
How the **** is £46k reasonable for depriving someone of their freedom for 27 years?! I'd want ******* billions.
anonymouz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
People who are saying that he should be charged for wasting time are stupid and have not read the whole article obviously.

Two facts:

1 - He is mentally ill and also had a habit of lying.

2 - There is speculation that the police used questionable methods of interrogation.

The pigs have too much power and too much of a say in this country.

But about the money - the article headline is just written in a sensationalist manner (they always are anyway), it mentions all the other claims that are going to be put through soon. He will come out with more than a fair bit in the end probably.

I don't think it should be the prison service who should be paying anyway.
RyanT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm astonished by the vindictive posts here. This guy is owed millions for what the government wrongly did. I don't even care about what he did - he was innocent and was put in a cell for nearly 3 decades.

What on earth is wrong with you?

The police force concerned should pay, will make them think twice about how they pursue their investigations.

How much are bankers being paid again??
Something very wrong here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (63)
29.44%
No - I got the required grades (122)
57.01%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (29)
13.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise