Turn on thread page Beta

which uni to apply to with these grades?+ watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    ayyy, it's you from the riddle thread. that was fun for a while =D

yeah, i probably am given that i know nothing about the subject.
    It is indeed =] We need to get that going again tbh. Aye, every wannabe banker left, right and center applies for it (amongst those who actually enjoy the subject or have something else in mind :tongue:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOBbee)
    yh i was thinking about doing maths a level during gap year, but im going to norway next year so i wont be at school. im going on a planned educational year at folkhogskolen. do you think i could revise for AS or even A2 maths in a year and get an A in it and sit the exam when i come home from the year abroad??
    erm if you're good at maths i don't see why not........ although it really would be best to do it in england and focus properly

ReputationRep:
    yh it wold be better, but its planned already and dont want to change plans. im not sure if i can do maths anymore lol. and i wont have a maths teacher on the gap year. do you think it can be self taught easily?

I don't know anything about maths or economics but I'd definitely advise undertaking maths A level and maybe even further maths whilst on your gap year. Lots of my brainy mates teach themselves and if you've got that soprt of mind, and the dedication, then I'm sure it's possible.
    In terms of unis, you could always email the admissions tutors for their insight but I'd suggest places like LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bristol and Edinburgh...
    Hope that helps...

ReputationRep:
    OK say id i did not take the maths a level during the gap and still have AAAaa what unis to apply to then?

ummm well I honestly don't know anything about the entry requirements for economics degrees but look up the league tables for reconomics on the Times or the Guardian's websites and work your way through the links to the uni sites - if they say they want maths then don't chance it, but if they would accept economics instead, note it and pick the best 5!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your info.

You're welcome - sorry I'm completely clueless!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe do a different course, maybe a joint honours...then maths won't be as big a deal. Anything you could think of?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe apply for an industrial economics degree at warwick? only requires A for maths at gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz313)
    Then take Maths in your gap year...
    I agree. Then I'm sure you could give Warwick, Bath & Nottingham a good go

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, take up Maths (and probably even AS Further Maths) in your gap year. Then you'll probably get offer conditions for A (or A*) in Maths (some saddos would probably attach conditions for FM too :p:). But yeah, you can apply anywhere (bar, I think, LSE) as long as you make them aware that you're taking it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeb191)
    Maybe apply for an industrial economics degree at warwick? only requires A for maths at gcse
    I would not rely on that still being the case in 2010.

Hey guys im on a gap year and have AAAaa in a level grades. i want to apply for economics bsc for 2010. However i dont have maths or further maths A level. GCSEs were A*A*A*AAAABBCC. A in maths.

please can you advise the 5 most prestigious and best economic courses i can apply to with these grades
    Without Maths you will really struggle to get into a prestigous uni. Using TAELT 2009 (2010 version out soon) you might look at Notts (a real long shot: you have a soft A-level, No Maths and only 3 GCSE A*s), St Andrews (Do you want to go to Scotland?), SOAS, Lancaster, Leeds, Newcastle, Birmingham.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=619184

yh i was thinking about doing maths a level during gap year, but im going to norway next year so i wont be at school. im going on a planned educational year at folkhogskolen. do you think i could revise for AS or even A2 maths in a year and get an A in it and sit the exam when i come home from the year abroad??
    A-level or even AS Maths would make a massive difference. e.g. AS grade C gets you Southampton and A-level gets you York. So I really do recommend you give Maths A-level ago: even with poor grades it can get you into the AAB.2.1 unis. (See TAELT for which unis are in each group).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz313)
    Take Maths on your gap year (both AS and A2). Also consider FM.
    Nottingham is probably the best you're going to get without maths though, however they were rather anal about GCSE's this year (average was 6 A* i think?)
    Due to competitiveness, Nottingham are now taking almost no-one who hasnt done maths, even for the BA course, but almost no chance for the Bsc.

I'd strongly consider doin a BA course, you could achieve a better standard of university despite the lack of maths, and probably wouldnt struggle as much (i think without maths it is quite hard!)

Even so, most good unis require maths for economics (to my disappointment!)
    Maybe go Exeter, Cardiff, Leeds, Manchester, Southampton etc. I know they may be a little below what could be achieved for someone with 5 As in a way, but as its econ (v competitive and harsh requirements) they may be the best bet.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimi600)
    Due to competitiveness, Nottingham are now taking almost no-one who hasnt done maths, even for the BA course, but almost no chance for the Bsc.
    I'd strongly consider doin a BA course, you could achieve a better standard of university despite the lack of maths, and probably wouldnt struggle as much (i think without maths it is quite hard!)

Maybe go Exeter, Cardiff, Leeds, Manchester, Southampton etc. I know they may be a little below what could be achieved for someone with 5 As in a way, but as its econ (v competitive and harsh requirements) they may be the best bet.

Good luck
    Erm, no they don't. I think you're getting it mixed up with Econometrics... You don't apply for BA or Bsc at Notts, you get a BA/Bsc degree depending on whether you choose mathematical modules during your degree....

ReputationRep:
    Well I applied to Nottingham for Economics and was told directly from then that they pretty much required maths now as this was a way of distinguishing who was better suited to the course.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mimi600)
    Southampton requires minimum AS-Level Mathematics grade C.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 25, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.