Turn on thread page Beta

Thou must speaketh English watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Changed it to most commonly.

Btw, PLEASE keep on topic, albeit this is a place for discussion.
    Ok.

No.

ReputationRep:
    French used to have the status has English, now, I mean it was the lingua franca. I don't think everyone should learn English it would just mean non English-speaking places would lose their own culture. Look at Scandinavia, they're so used to have everything in English + their language no-one cares about their own cultures. English can be useful, but it's not necessary to live and I disagree that everyone should learn it on the sole basis of its "usefulness". In this case, we should all learn Mandarin because their economy is becoming so important they're soon gonna be more powerful than the rest of the world and we'll be screwed because we can't decipher the alphabet. Silly point. :rolleyes:

(Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Yeah sure. English people can sit on there arses and not learn another language, but EVERYONE else has to learn English, therefore another language? You're sick man.
    Correction: You are a sick man.

btw, the idea of learning Mandarin Chinese - yes it's the most commonly language, but not in business.

I mean, literally EVERY keyboard in the world has the Roman alphabet on it, so I don't see how Microsoft it's gonna change that...

ReputationRep:
    We should all speak Esperanto.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

:eek4:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Read that. Does it make sense?
    Aha I didn't even see that.

(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    We should all speak Esperanto.
    Why?

(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    :rofl:

:eek4:

I don't get it. Excuse my ignorance.

ReputationRep:

btw, the idea of learning Mandarin Chinese - yes it's the most commonly language, but not in business.

I mean, literally EVERY keyboard in the world has the Roman alphabet on it, so I don't see how Microsoft it's gonna change that...
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Changed it to most commonly.
    Yes, but it's still not right is it? Fail.

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Because the whole reason for it being created was so that all people would be linguistically united by means of a universal second language (namely Esperanto). Alas, it has epically failed - a la this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Why not? Sounds like fun.
    Saluton! Mi estas purpura rano besto.
    Ich kann ein bisschen Deutsch. We have to learn it at work...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :rofl: God...

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it. Excuse my ignorance.
    Correcting "you're" to "you are". You do realise that contractions are totally reasonable. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, right, then why should everyone learn English, then? It's not useful in business because you could consider that countries like China, Arab countries or Russia are now more important than English speaking countries, it's not useful when you don't care about English culture, it's not useful when you have no interest in diplomacy and even if you did, you'd have to speak bits of French as well, so yeah, why should I bother learning English, then?

ReputationRep:
    Since when is tbh english. Also im in your username isn't really correct :-S

ReputationRep:
    Um.. shouldn't it be 'most commonly used/spoken language'?
    Oh and 'you're sick, man' is acceptable when using sick as an adjective. 'you are a sick man' has a slightly different meaning, using the noun, which could cause confusion about literal meanings.

Edit: own grammatical/spelling mistakesss

ReputationRep:
    Tbh tbh tbh tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deavsie)
    :facepalm:
    :facepalm2:

all we can say really

ReputationRep:
    Why should everyone have to learn one language? Be it Chinese, French, English, whatever - there's this great thing called diversity you know.

Besides, learning languages is fun!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.