Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    As I used to live in St Pat's, I probably am biased, but I wouldn't say Wantage is worth the money. I would also warn that most of the people there are a little snobby, but I wouldn't like to generalise too much.
    That's rubbish! I can't believe how much Wantage is being ****ged off in this thread. I was in Wantage in my first year and had the time of my life - it was a fantastic experience and if I hadn't been transferred to another university at the end of the year I'd have done my best to get into Wantage again in my third year. In my opinion it was worth every penny.

I really couldn't praise Wantage enough - it was brilliant. I fitted in well, and no I'm not posh/upper-class in the slightest! Most people there weren't stuck-up and were mostly really nice. It has a wonderful atmosphere, a strong community spirit, interesting traditions and events that other Halls lack, and other than New Court it looks wonderful as well. All in all I consider myself lucky to have spent a year there.

Yes, New Court isn't the prettiest of buildings, but so far as I remember the rooms were perfectly adequate and the kitchen at the end of my corridor was well-equipped. Obviously a minority of people mucked around, but that happens in all Halls! At least Wantage has many redeeming features to make up for it. OP, don't worry about having to share a room, because that's only a few in the Old Quad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dolly123)
    I'v been looking into Wantage and was wondering what it is like to live there?

Is it social?

Does it have good facilities?

What are the sorts of people that tend to choose wantage like?

The Old Court main buildings look very nice though im told most freshers are put in new court which I am unable to find many pictures of.
    Any pictures of New Court and the rooms from old and new would be much appreciated...
    See my post above for information about my experience of living in Wantage, but I just thought I'd add that yes, it is a very social Hall. Unless it's changed dramatically in the last few years (which I very much doubt) there's a strong JCR committee who organise lots of events, and Wantage has traditions that no other Hall has - which certainly adds colour to the experience of being in Halls. I have many happy memories of Wantage, and as I said before, I feel lucky to have gone there.

I haven't got any photos on the computer of the outside of New Court, and I haven't got a decent one of my room either, but here's one of the kitchen on my corridor. I've also attached two of the Old Quad, including one of the morning after Sheep Night a few years ago.
    Attached Images

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Kew)
    That's rubbish! I can't believe how much Wantage is being ****ged off in this thread. I was in Wantage in my first year and had the time of my life - it was a fantastic experience and if I hadn't been transferred to another university at the end of the year I'd have done my best to get into Wantage again in my third year. In my opinion it was worth every penny.

I really couldn't praise Wantage enough - it was brilliant. I fitted in well, and no I'm not posh/upper-class in the slightest! Most people there weren't stuck-up and were mostly really nice. It has a wonderful atmosphere, a strong community spirit, interesting traditions and events that other Halls lack, and other than New Court it looks wonderful as well. All in all I consider myself lucky to have spent a year there.

Yes, New Court isn't the prettiest of buildings, but so far as I remember the rooms were perfectly adequate and the kitchen at the end of my corridor was well-equipped. Obviously a minority of people mucked around, but that happens in all Halls! At least Wantage has many redeeming features to make up for it. OP, don't worry about having to share a room, because that's only a few in the Old Quad.
    Dr Jim Ross shared many options of Wantage students "running riot" and pulling doors off of their hinges, vomiting in corridors and letting off fire extinguishers was just a few of the things he'd mentioned to me when I had a meeting with him last year to complain about some of the noise levels in St Pats.

Of course it completely depends on the people you are there with, but I'm of course going only by my own opions and experiences of Wantage is like.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly everyones going to have different opinions, my friend had a very similar experience to you hannah

ReputationRep:
    ok before i start i'm gonna say that i may be slightly biased being on the st pats jcr [whoop whoop]!

reading uni is generally filled with affluent, well-off people as you can see here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ocial-profiles [reading is about half way down the page]. in first year the rahs [jack-wills-clad, daddy's-money-spending, audi-TT-driving, land-management-studying] want to be somewhere where they feel at home and with 'their kind of people'. they look through the accommodation booklet, and a lot of them talk to people they know who went to reading, and they pick wantage. it's an oxbridge college style building with long-standing traditions and they feel that this is the place for them.

however, although it is filled with people who tend to be on the upper end of the scale, it does not mean they are snobbish or horrible etc in any way. some of them are. most are not. i know lots of people in wantage and whereas the mix might not always be that 'diverse' the people who are there are generally very nice.

st pats is better though!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)

With all due respect the hobbies that you list in your profile arent exactly your typical lower or middle class recreations lol! Not that I have a problem in the slightest with middle/upper class people, I mean most of my family are, but it seems obvious that there is definitely a certain clientele that are attracted to the delights of Wantage. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebnebis)
    ok before i start i'm gonna say that i may be slightly biased being on the st pats jcr [whoop whoop]!

reading uni is generally filled with affluent, well-off people as you can see here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ocial-profiles [reading is about half way down the page]. in first year the rahs [jack-wills-clad, daddy's-money-spending, audi-TT-driving, land-management-studying] want to be somewhere where they feel at home and with 'their kind of people'. they look through the accommodation booklet, and a lot of them talk to people they know who went to reading, and they pick wantage. it's an oxbridge college style building with long-standing traditions and they feel that this is the place for them.

however, although it is filled with people who tend to be on the upper end of the scale, it does not mean they are snobbish or horrible etc in any way. some of them are. most are not. i know lots of people in wantage and whereas the mix might not always be that 'diverse' the people who are there are generally very nice.

st pats is better though!!!!
    No doubt you are right when you claim that Reading uni attracts afflulent people, but I do feel certain courses will differ dramatically... As you have already asserted the typical Land Management students will indeed be very well heeled, but this is due to the nature of the course and the professions it entails for its graduates. Due to the exclusive nature of the uni for its property department it means that the property leaders will want to send their sons and daughter to the best possible place to get a head start in the industry.. be it Cambridge for the Land Economy course or Reading for its Real Estate programmes. However I can assure you that I do not wear Jack Wills clothing (mostly because I have never even seen a shop of selling the *****!) and I certainly don't drive an audi tt lol, but I do still hope to begin my Real Estate degree in the next academic year, and that's right.. I wanna join St. Pat's too baby!!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Oh and could anyone enlighten me as to how much joint income constitutes the title of "Wealthy Achiever" in that Guardian article???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    With all due respect the hobbies that you list in your profile arent exactly your typical lower or middle class recreations lol!
    Eh? Can you elaborate? Personally I'd say I was middle-class through and through, not that that should matter in the slightest. Regarding Wantage, it doesn't matter what social class people are from, as it's what they're like that counts, surely? I made friends with people from right across the social spectrum at Wantage - and on the whole the upper-class people were just as nice as the lower-class ones. There were a few snobs, but the majority of people weren't like that. Let's face it, you're going to get a mix of personality types whichever Halls you end up in! And trust me, you get people who muck around with fire alarms etc. in student Halls across the country!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Eh? Can you elaborate? Personally I'd say I was middle-class through and through, not that that should matter in the slightest. Regarding Wantage, it doesn't matter what social class people are from, as it's what they're like that counts, surely? I made friends with people from right across the social spectrum at Wantage - and on the whole the upper-class people were just as nice as the lower-class ones. There were a few snobs, but the majority of people weren't like that. Let's face it, you're going to get a mix of personality types whichever Halls you end up in! And trust me, you get people who muck around with fire alarms etc. in student Halls across the country!
    Oh don't worry about it, it's just that when you said that "I'm not posh or upper class in the slightest", by assessing your hobbies in an entirely subjective manner, they would normally be associated with people of those particular social classes! Namely: Classical music, history (particularly medieval), anthropology, folklore, playing various musical instruments (cello, piano, various sizes of recorder), drawing/painting, cycling, the natural world, picking blackberries lol! I'm not condemning your pasttimes but... (tbh i cant even be bothered to finish this sentence lol) zzzzz. It's cool hold tight yeah Kate :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    Oh don't worry about it, it's just that when you said that "I'm not posh or upper class in the slightest", by assessing your hobbies in an entirely subjective manner, they would normally be associated with people of those particular social classes! Namely: Classical music, history (particularly medieval), anthropology, folklore, playing various musical instruments (cello, piano, various sizes of recorder), drawing/painting, cycling, the natural world, picking blackberries lol! I'm not condemning your pasttimes but... (tbh i cant even be bothered to finish this sentence lol) zzzzz. It's cool hold tight yeah Kate :p:
    Well, I don't see how those hobbies are posh, and trust me, my family is in no way upper class, but whatever. I'm glad you aren't condemning my hobbies list (which is in any case out-of-date as I haven't updated it for ages) - at first I thought you might be, but it's hard to tell that sort of thing in cyberspace. Anyway, I'd rather the thread didn't get any more off-topic, so let's get back to the subject...

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm a total pleb and I like the odd bit of classical music.
    AND I can play silent night on the keyboard with auto-chord turned on. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grotbag)
    Well I'm a total pleb and I like the odd bit of classical music.
    AND I can play silent night on the keyboard with auto-chord turned on. :woo:
    I can play some random beethoven thing

lets start a band

LOL

ReputationRep:
    Gosh. all this is putting me off Reading!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beatrix Potter)
    Gosh. all this is putting me off Reading!
    In what way :confused:

ReputationRep:

Because there's no talk of it and I'm apprently living there.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmm wantage definately wasnt for me, given things I've heard about it. Each to their own though. You might have the best time of your life there...

ReputationRep:
    Wantage is awesome.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    walked past it yesterday and must say i was pretty damned impressed, looks gorgeous, whats it like inside?

ReputationRep:
    I'd certainly have a few things to say about Wantage, but as I'm from St. Pats it's probably best to just keep them to myself.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.