Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigovioletred)
    Cambridge do seem quite hung up on module marks. Happily Oxford don't look at them, so they never know if you scrape through with 81 in everything :p: (which from the looks of shock on all the Oxford helpers faces when this tutor was talking, seemed to be what all of us had done!)
    Hence why i'm applying to Oxford and not Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calvinuk)
    Hence why i'm applying to Oxford and not Cambridge
    You do realise that if you do provide them, Oxford will look at them.

In other words, unless it is school policy not to state individual module marks, if one candidate provides there breakdown on UCAS and another doesn't (and its not against there school policy to do so), Oxford will 'favour' the former applicant, all things else being equal.

I applied with my module grades to the statistically one of the hardest 'core' courses at both Oxford and Cambridge, E&M at Oxford, and I would think my module marks played a big part in this (as they were really good in the relevant subjects).

ReputationRep:
    Nice thannks for the replies everyone seems like quite a few peeps are goin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calvinuk)
    Definitely did not have that many people...

More like 300+

Can't imagine the content being different, though.
    There are subject specific sessions run at the larger events, in all 36 talks given spread across 6 rooms, with more tutors and students present. There's a programme at the webpage I gave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inter-Company)
    You do realise that if you do provide them, Oxford will look at them.

In other words, unless it is school policy not to state individual module marks, if one candidate provides there breakdown on UCAS and another doesn't (and its not against there school policy to do so), Oxford will 'favour' the former applicant, all things else being equal.

I applied with my module grades to the statistically one of the hardest 'core' courses at both Oxford and Cambridge, E&M at Oxford, and I would think my module marks played a big part in this (as they were really good in the relevant subjects).
    Very few applicants actually provide, them, and unless you go to a school that churns out loads of good candidates, it's very unlikely for a school to have a policy of stating modular grades. It's generally only common practice to do so if you've got some exceptionally high ones - which, fair enough, will probably score you some points. Otherwise, Oxford are more concerned that you have the ability to get As (shown by your AS results, and a good reference from your school saying how gifted you are) and then it's down to your interview performance.
    Trust me on that one, I've done enough access events in my time here to have heard a LOT of different admissions tutors talk about this.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone go to Haydock today or yesterday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    Anyone go to Haydock today or yesterday?
    I did, today.

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to one tomorrow its in the international arena so its gunna be big, was it worth going to those of you who went?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was very useful! Especially the session about interviews & the one i went to about Modern & Medieval languages.

ReputationRep:
    I went today to the conference at Cardiff. It was pretty boring, but I learnt a fair bit which was good, and it was nice to see that only a few of the people seemed ridiculously upper class and elitist ( a few managed to get on my nerves )

ReputationRep:
    Lol i hope there all not upper class , so what did everyone wear, im stuck lol, it says no dress good but dont want to be the odd one out :p: like trousers or jeans t-shirt or shirt ?? someone help

ReputationRep:
    Anything is fine. I'll be wearing jeans and a t-shirt and I'm working!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by [mellifluous])
    Anything is fine. I'll be wearing jeans and a t-shirt and I'm working!
    :ditto: :cool: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    so your like helpers?? what do most students wear , dont wana be the odd one out
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Tipples)
    so your like helpers?? what do most students wear , dont wana be the odd one out
    Yep, will be a volunteer tomorrow! Variety of things, think most people were in their own clothes, just wearing whatever they wanted

ReputationRep:
    I went to the one at Emirates and tbh, i didn't learn much (I think that's because I've already heard most of the gossip from others and on TSR..:p:)..
    ...but it gave me some wonderful chances to talk/chat to the admissions tutors and undergraduates, even if I only talked to a few - I was really satisfied =).

I was actually quite surprised how down to earth some of those people were (and one of the tutors was quite funny! ^^).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Nimbus)
    I went to the one at Emirates and tbh, i didn't learn much (I think that's because I've already heard most of the gossip from others and on TSR..:p:)..
    ...but it gave me some wonderful chances to talk/chat to the admissions tutors and undergraduates, even if I only talked to a few - I was really satisfied =).

I was actually quite surprised how down to earth some of those people were (and one of the tutors was quite funny! ^^).
    I think that's one of the main benefits of it: being able to talk to current students and seeing how down to earth we are!

Did you talk to me? I was the Asian girl with glasses :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I think that's one of the main benefits of it: being able to talk to current students and seeing how down to earth we are!

Did you talk to me? I was the Asian girl with glasses :ninja:
    Were you at the Oxford stand? :ninja:
    I remember seeing an asian girl at the end of the day collecting the questionnaires and giving out prospectuses! Were you her? =D

Funny enough, I spent most of the free time i had talking to ppl at the Cambridge stand lol(somehow!).

I tried to talk to everyone and asked some really bizarre questions (mainly ones about the BMAT hehe...:p:).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Nimbus)
    Were you at the Oxford stand? :ninja:
    I remember seeing an asian girl at the end of the day collecting the questionnaires and giving out prospectuses! Were you her? =D

Funny enough, I spent most of the free time i had talking to ppl at the Cambridge stand lol(somehow!).

I tried to talk to everyone and asked some really bizarre questions (mainly ones about the BMAT hehe...:p:).
    Oh, I think you saw the other Asian girl. I was supposed to collect questionnaire's but traipsed off to collect unwanted prospectuses instead and then did a mad dash back to the Oxford stand when someone located a potential musician! :woo:

Nothing wrong with the Cambridge stand! I took one student over there myself so he could find out about the Music course at Cambridge :yep:

Bizarre questions are always good :cool:

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.