The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well in the Manchester Uni prospectus, I remember it said that there is an option for Biomed students to transfer to the Medical course in the 2nd year or something but you would have to be really really good, maybe 1st in the year or something plus they would assess your medical capabilities aswell. I think it's extremely hard to transfer to medicine through this route, maybe easy in the past but nowadays the course is just too oversubscribed. There is the graduate option but I've heard this is even harder than the undergraduate way in. I'll be doing Biochemistry or Biochemical Engineering next year but hopefully, if I get good grades this year *crosses fingers* I can take a year out and re-apply but for medicine instead of biochem. What worries me though is what to do in the gap year. I wouldn't mind doing a year of voluntary work but I want to do some paid work too so not sure about this.
Reply 21
I myself is thinking of switching to med from a different course. Well, my sister who is doing neuroscience - her uni offered her a place in medicine if she got good enough results on her first year. This is in Aberdeen - but it comes number 6 for med so it's not bad. And also, if it's still relevant, in Cambridge - officially you're allowed to switch to Medicine from NatSci after the second year. Mind you, that is if places are available. The Cam admission officer also told me many plp get in a different course then switch on the first term at Cambridge. No doubt they do it often at other univs.
Reply 22
A friend of mine missed the deadline for application to Medicine, because she was basically messed in the head (she wanted to do Medicine real bad but she didn't know it). So now she's applying to Biomedical Sciences and Biochemistry courses in the hope that she can transfer to Medicine after the first year. How easy is this to do? And is it rare or common to 'cheat' the system this way?

You should ask Fluffy about this- she'd know!

One she SHOULD NOT HAVE MISSED THE DEADLINE- if she did she should gap and apply the right way... messed in the head is not a good start to a career in medicine

Trying to pull a backdoor like that has already been sussed and is impossible to do- and wouldn't recommend it at all- she'd be better off completing the biomed and then applying for 4 yr graduate programme- many try what she is trying but get shot down in flames- there is no easy way to get into medicine... Those courses which would allow you to transfer only offer that option to the top 5% or so of the year- so her chances are slim..

I'd suggest she speaks to a careers adviser, make sure her grades are perfect, she isn't " messed in the head" anymore and prove that she is "good" enough to apply to medicine- with volunteering, and work experience- all of the people I know that have gone for medicine, including myself, have worked hard on all areas, it doesn't come to you on a plate...
Reply 23
I've heard about quite a few uni's where you do clinical science(?)/medical biochemistry ect and you can transfer after the first year - our head of 6th form even mentioned it to prospective medicine students (!)
Reply 24
I'm a 4th year at Notts

I only know of one person who has swapped. She did pharmacy in the 1st year (a big overlap with med teaching), was accepted for med but had to resit the 1st year. She's the only person I know who has done this. Certainly don't rely on this as a route of entry to med as you won't get anywhere.
joyabbott
I'm a 4th year at Notts

I only know of one person who has swapped. She did pharmacy in the 1st year (a big overlap with med teaching), was accepted for med but had to resit the 1st year. She's the only person I know who has done this. Certainly don't rely on this as a route of entry to med as you won't get anywhere.

Pharmacy to medicine? Sheesh stick to one thing.
Reply 26
I can see why many pharmacists later retrain as doctors though.

I'd find pharmacy (community mainly) incredibly frustrating as you have loads of knowledge, but spend most of your day stood behind a counter dispensing. They know a phenomenal amount about drugs, yet are unable to prescribe.

I have friends who are qualified pharmacists now studying medicine.
i think the best way for your friend is to wait until the alevel results, withdraw the 1st and 2nd choices from ucas then get a medical place through clearing.

i looked in last years clearing, and there were quite a few med places, and the advantage is lower grades needed. only downfall is, if s/he doesnt pass the interviews then s/he will be stuck for somewhere to go.

then s/he can take a year out and reapply. the transfer thing is too dodgy.
Reply 28
Places for medicine are more or less non-existent through clearing.
Reply 29

Last year "officially" there was only one place that opened for clearing for medicine and that was Newcastle. Its virtually impossible unless you applied and were rejected before/after interview. Clearing for medicine isn't something people should ever rely on.
Reply 30
Sarky

Last year "officially" there was only one place that opened for clearing for medicine and that was Newcastle. Its virtually impossible unless you applied and were rejected before/after interview. Clearing for medicine isn't something people should ever rely on.

There were 'overseas' places at GKT and Imperial... Nothing for 'homies' outside of Newcastle though...
Reply 31
Fluffy
There were 'overseas' places at GKT and Imperial... Nothing for 'homies' outside of Newcastle though...

wonDERFUL!only for overseas...hopefully will happen this year

Latest