Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's already the case in some selective independent schools that you don't take GCSEs in the subjects you are taking to AS/A2 - you start work on higher level work much easier and just take GCSEs in the subjects you are planning to drop after GCSE level. Makes sense for pupils who know which subjects they are going to carry on with.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I do French, German, History and Philosophy and French, German, History and RE GCSE really helped towards them

ReputationRep:
    Artistic students are pretty screwed in that system.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. I mean, the gap between A-level and GCSEs is indeed quite big. Students would be far better off if GCSEs geared themselves towards bridging that gap.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, simply because I've seen the sort of crap they fill gaps in the timetable with. None of the additional lessons I've ever taken for my "personal development" have done anything for me. At GCSE, we had the extra lessons filled with PSHE, which taught us absolutely nothing (we'd already had sex education lower down the school) and Citizenship which taught us irrelevant things that we could have worked out ourselves. I'd rather have a basic level of knowledge in 13 subjects, than only study 5 GCSEs and just have this rubbish forced at me.

I got 9 GCSEs at A* or A grade. Why limit capable students just for the sake of it? If we presume that Maths, English and Science will remain compulsory, then that's all of the 5 GCSEs taken up already, since most schools make their students study double sciences. So you're basically erasing whole lessons from the curriculum. If these three subjects are not compulsory any more, we'd end up with students who don't possess basic maths and English skills. If they are compulsory, basically every humanities subject has been pushed out of the way. If it's 5 GCSEs on top of the compulsory English, Maths and Science, then we're back at the system we have now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    I disagree, simply because I've seen the sort of crap they fill gaps in the timetable with. None of the additional lessons I've ever taken for my "personal development" have done anything for me. At GCSE, we had the extra lessons filled with PSHE, which taught us absolutely nothing (we'd already had sex education lower down the school) and Citizenship which taught us irrelevant things that we could have worked out ourselves. I'd rather have a basic level of knowledge in 13 subjects, than only study 5 GCSEs and just have this rubbish forced at me.
    What if, say, you could play outside in all your free periods instead of PSHE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddd)
    What if, say, you could play outside in all your free periods instead of PSHE?
    Well I wouldn't have learned any less.

ReputationRep:
    In year 9 when I was choosing my GCSE options, I wanted to be an artist so I picked art (I was also thinking about becoming a writer). At the same time I also hated maths; I remember thinking that I wanted to drop maths at A level because I sucked at it. However, by the end of year 11 I loved maths as in that last 6 months before the exams, I had caught up with everyone else and no longer sucked at it. Now 3 years after year 9 and ive dropped Art despite getting an A* in it (not gloating or anything lol), and now want to study maths at Alevel.
    The point is, people change their minds about subjects when theyve delved deeper into it meaning you cant expect a 13 year old to know what they want to do for the rest of their life.

ReputationRep:
    Well I wouldn't have learned any less.
    So then, would you mind if the number of subjects were reduced to 5 and you could play outside in your free time?

ReputationRep:
    The 5 GCSEs would presumabely be the core subjects then? What about if someone, like myself, is really interested in Economics? Should I not have the opportunity to study it at GCSE when I really enjoy the subject and definitely want to take it for my A-levels?

I think GCSEs may be a flawed system because it is a lot about passing the exam but since the system isn't going to get changed any time soon I think the way that it is run now is just fine. I take 13 GCSES and I really can't see how making that nearly 2/3 less to 5 would help. I mean, would we now have twice the amount of time in these lessons than normal? I think that some A-level concepts should be tought in GCSE as they aren't that hard and it would help when the student gets to college/sixth form but how would it be possible to magically double the syllabus for these subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddd)
    So then, would you mind if the number of subjects were reduced to 5 and you could play outside in your free time?
    At age 15, who "plays outside"? You'd just get a load of students sitting out on the field/playground/in the canteen having a chat. In which case, they might as well be at home.

Re-read my post, I edited it. The things they fill the curriculum with isn't the only problem with this idea. If the 5 are in the core subjects, we'll end up even further behind the rest of Europe than we already are in terms of international skills (mainly languages and foreign culture) and even more ignorant than we are at the moment of our own history and the rest of the world. If they aren't in the core subjects, we'll end up with even more people who can't read and write particularly well, and even less people who are into the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    You go girl?
    Creatively? what would that be more people bunking because creativity cannot be measured by skill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddd)
    Are you suggesting that we do 5 GCSEs for the same amount of time as now and the rest of the time just be at home? That's just a silly concept. You'd be getting quite a few students who would want to actually learn more but just not take a GCSE in it which is ridiculous because they might as well!

ReputationRep:
    I agree to a certain extent. Some subjects are a complete waste of time. I think pupils should be able to pick their desired subjects in year 8 instead of year 10. Pupils will get 1 year to get a taste of all subjects.

ReputationRep:
    At age 15, who "plays outside"? You'd just get a load of students sitting out on the field/playground/in the canteen having a chat. In which case, they might as well be at home.

Re-read my post, I edited it. The things they fill the curriculum with isn't the only problem with this idea. If the 5 are in the core subjects, we'll end up even further behind the rest of Europe than we already are in terms of international skills (mainly languages and foreign culture) and even more ignorant than we are at the moment of our own history and the rest of the world. If they aren't in the core subjects, we'll end up with even more people who can't read and write particularly well, and even less people who are into the sciences.
    I played outside when I was 15. Not all students have reached the average level of maturity expected on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    I bet there would be FAR less people who go on to do A Levels. I mean, how many people are going to choose Geog/History A Level when they haven't studied it for 2 years (maybe more) and completely forgotten whether they like it or not.

There's more to life than making sure everyone has 5 C grades at GCSE - school is partially about inspiring children.

And what about the low achievers who don't have any interest in Science/Maths? Yeah, typical that Eton's Head would say that, because he doesn't have to deal with anyone who isn't capable of AAAA A Level :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, it hardly gives the pupil a view into more subjects nor does it open up what they might want to do. They may miss out on learning a specific subject which could have been something they really enjoyed. Its good to have lots of GCSEs because its the A-levels that slightly narrow it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddd)
    I played outside when I was 15. Not all students have reached the average level of maturity expected on TSR.
    Most have. I don't know anyone who played outside at 15. It's not a case of what's "expected on TSR", it's a case of what's the real average. The vast majority of 15 year olds don't play outside, so the scenario I described would be what happened in most cases. Not that it makes any difference whether you're playing outside or chatting in the canteen. Either way, they're still wasting time.

ReputationRep:
    Most have. I don't know anyone who played outside at 15. It's not a case of what's "expected on TSR", it's a case of what's the real average. The vast majority of 15 year olds don't play outside, so the scenario I described would be what happened in most cases. Not that it makes any difference whether you're playing outside or chatting in the canteen. Either way, they're still wasting time.
    Are you seriously suggesting that 15-year-olds do not kick the ball around in the playground? (Obviously much more prominent in boys)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    And what about the low achievers who don't have any interest in Science/Maths? Yeah, typical that Eton's Head would say that, because he doesn't have to deal with anyone who isn't capable of AAAA A Level :rolleyes:
    I wouldn't agree with that. It's not just the low achievers who would suffer. Plenty of Eton-quality students don't have any interest in Science/Maths, so I don't think the person suggesting it being associated with Eton is relevant. I did pretty well in my A-levels, and had no interest in maths or science. Basically, it's not low achievers who would suffer, it's anyone who is more suited to Arts than sciences, however clever they are.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.