Turn on thread page Beta

I spend more time on TSR than I do revising :sadnod:

I don't have facebook though, so I'll be fine :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .x.alexa.x.)
    One of the many reasons as to why i didn't do as well as i thought i would, on january exams.
    *****.... Im deactivating my account...
    or it could have been your revision?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! i love Facebook and yet i think i'm doing OK, but saying that, if i didn't have my own laptop to acess at my own free will (after every hour of work, i insisit on a a "break" which normally lasts 2 hours) but as long as we just use it to write/read messages and not actually waste time Browsing, then we shouldn't get carried away?

ReputationRep:
    Damn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .x.alexa.x.)
    One of the many reasons as to why i didn't do as well as i thought i would, on january exams.
    *****.... Im deactivating my account...
    is it that extreme you have to de activiate your account? all your photos,/freinds are gone!!

Do you not have enought self control to just NOT LOG IN???

ReputationRep:
    people who are thick fail at exams (including me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by importunate)
    As I am sure so do those who have mobile phones. Facebook is a social networking site... does it not make seem more likely that it is down to the type of person who used facebook rather than the website itself?

I mean if you have facebook you are more likely to be social and therefore will have less time and or motivation to study.
    oh crap
    I've been wanting some of that motivation stuff for ages!
    now I'm just the wrong kind of person? damn
    will it make a difference if I quit?
    give me some motivation please!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Good job I don't have an account on facebook then eh?

ReputationRep:
    I'm on Facebook all the time and it hasn't done me any harm, although I can see the logic in the argument.

ReputationRep:
    I'm now tempted to get a friend to change my password and not tell me what it is until after the exams.
    This will only make a big change if I also get a TSR ban.
    And get someone to change my Flickr password.
    And take my phone away from me.
    And remove the TVs from my house.

Argh.
    =/

ReputationRep:
    GAH! oh no whatever shall I do.

I spend more time on tsr than I do on facebook but that's slowly changing...stop calling me revision. stop it!

ReputationRep:
    Research just in - TSR users on the H&R thread do considerably worse in exams!

I kid. I knew Facebook ruined exams!

ReputationRep:
    I don't use it much. TSR is the one I'm on most - really need to sort it out before uni actually!

ReputationRep:
    Good thing. Facebook obsessives with over 1000 "friends" probably don't deserve a decent position within the modern economy.

Anyone who does any activity to the extent that it limits revision could well find that they might not do as well as they could have. But that can be applied to so many things other than facebook; someone who literally never left their house in order to revise would probably be in a pretty good position to do well, but we're not advocating young people becoming housebound..

ReputationRep:
    no,

Those that choose not to use facebook could be the types to do better in exams.
    saying that facebook causes the drop in results as opposed to saying the same thing that causes facebook obsession is the same thing that causes the drop in results can not be done.

I'm getting annoyed at supposedly reputable sources (times) mis-using statistics.

ReputationRep:
    I do use Facebook far too much. But thats because people dont tend to use their bloody phones any more! All my social invitations are given to me on that website! If I deactivated my account I'd instantly feel cut off from everybody. Its quite ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    anyone with their head screwed on will know they need to balance their time so they can go on facebook

remember its not how long you spend revising but how its done and what you do

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt think it's just facebook though. There are plenty of other distractions on the internet (*cough* TSR *cough*)

Perhaps a study needs to be developed to assess how better these people do after deactivating just their facebook account..

ReputationRep:
    Just disabled my account. I was meaning to anyways. Thanks for reminding me.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.