Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martin_Kellogg)
    No, no, no. A* GCSE's are pretty easy - e.g. I messed up my English Lit and my last paragraph was basically a plea to the examiner to give me a good grade (this is not advised) and I miraculously ended up with an A*.

I felt the same as you when doing my exams but rest assured it is not THAT hard. The only thing I was surprised about was only (!) an A in French when I thought this was my strongest subject. Subjects like Music and Drama are pretty hard to get an A* in but most are easy.
    TBH, I'm quite disappointed I only got 7 A*s.

Just remember that you're mainly competing against idiots and lazy people.

Good Luck.
    Hahahahahaha!!!
    and thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think what helped a lot was getting the mark schemes, and having all my notes properly organised - that way I could go through and make sure I knew absolutely everything.

I didn't do any revision before study leave, and when I actually did some in leave I made sure I wasn't tired, hungry, thirsty, whatever - that way it all goes in a bit better. Didn't do long chunks either, so I could concentrate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    work on your weaknesses
    work hours that suit you
    dont get distracted (although i got distracted a lot!)
    finish revising every subject
    reward yourself, this is like a really childish thing, but say to yourself, i'll do a solid 1 hour and then i can get some food!
    in study leave i downloaded a few films that i enjoy, i kept them ready to watch, i did 2 hours of good revision then watched half an hour!!

most important:
    do not rest your mind until you understand all concepts - do not just give up on something
    if something is difficult then seek every way possible to understand
    sometimes i asked a few people, i posted on TSR or i looked for simplified versions of complicated things

I can say now, none of this is working for a level!!
    :eek: are a levels THAT bad?

thanks for the tips btw!

ReputationRep:
    Cram, cram, cram.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs are a joke compared to AS levels. For maths you actually need no revision to get an A* - that was a joke exam.

ReputationRep:
    I did one GCSE last year and got an A*. Do I still count for advice? If so, just know everything that is in the textbooks and apply some common sense to the difficult questions towards the end. I need to do so much revision for History, Geography, French and English (lit and lang) this year. Basically, I want to be finished by end of Easter holidays or like 8/10 finished. Mostly Geography mind you, where I need to get 93% UMS in the terminal exam and the course has like 20 case studies to learn.

ReputationRep:
    If you're intelligent then i wouldn't say you need to do barely any revision to get straight A/A*s. An hour or so for each exam was enough for me. So then it comes down to if you put a bit more work in you'll get a few more A*'s.

If you need to revise for hours on end to get A/A* then do it, but tbh you aren't likely to get A's at a-level without a LOT MORE work, since there's a lot more to learn.

So basically getting A*/A at GCSE isn't hard, in my opinion, for nigh on anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'm actually in a thread for once...:ninja:

Gut instinct tells me I should crash it with Pakoras but I want to help OP...:cool:

OP, just revise well, make notes, condense them using mind maps or flash cards, tick off things in your syllabuses, annotate your syllabuses and do plenty of Past Papers.

Good Luck...:woo:

PS: What subjects are you doing?...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    individual differences, not everyone is academically strong and also depends what subject you doing, i personally think it is much easier to get an A in subjects like psychology than in maths or physics

ReputationRep:
    You have to be good at the subject to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    Oh I'm actually in a thread for once...:ninja:

Gut instinct tells me I should crash it with Pakoras but I want to help OP...:cool:

OP, just revise well, make notes, condense them using mind maps or flash cards, tick off things in your syllabuses, annotate your syllabuses and do plenty of Past Papers.

Good Luck...:woo:

PS: What subjects are you doing?...:rolleyes:
    Thanks for sacrificing your Pakora time! :p:
    I'm doing - eng lang/lit, maths, double science, RE (short) PE (short) , Child development, health and social care (Btec first), drama, Business Studies... and this apprenticeship the school put me in for in Btec dentistry - so many stuff to do, and now I'm under a tremendous amount of pressure! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    i need help on this as well

ReputationRep:
    If you do 2/3 hours revision everyday through study leave and an hour or two every evening (Monday to Thursday) from now on. You ought to get ridiculous grades. I aimed to do that, ended up wasting loads of time doing nothing, crammed on the day of (afternoon papers) exams and managed to get a decent set of GCSEs. Just do some revision, a reasonable amount and you will do fantastically. I wish I'd worked slightly harder, a little more effort (or any real effort at all) and I would've got all A*s I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    i will do my best to achieve high grades

ReputationRep:
    CGP revision guides were a godsend. I also made a lot of spider diagrams for everything. Sticking stuff up on my wall helped too.

As for quantities of revision...well i didn't do very much. I measured my time with how much subject matter there was to remember, how important it was to me and how good i was at it. For example i did more revision for history than physics, simply because history was more important to me.

I think someone else said that treating yourself is a good idea- and really it is! I treated myself with hot chocolate, chocolate bars and ice cream (obviously not all at the same time!) if i could do an hour of revision.

I also think sleeping is really important. I really wouldn't advise staying up all night revising, because everyone i know who did did that did terribly in their exams.

Hopefully this will be somewhat useful...and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really revise for my GCSEs :/
    I did, however, work damn hard for the 2 years of the course.

I also crammed the night before each science exam, reading through the text books.

I was stupid. I really wouldn't recommend this approach (which I'm sure you're sensible enough not to). I was a nervous wreck on the way to pick up my results as I was convinced I'd failed everything and even now, despite getting good grades, I don't see GCSEs as a great accomplishment because I know I could have worked harder. I also find myself wondering what my results would have been like if I'd revised. Plus this got me into bad habits for A levels, where not revising really doesn't work!

/rant

In short: learn from my mistakes and revise revise revise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martin_Kellogg)
    Subjects like Music and Drama are pretty hard to get an A* in.
    What?! They're the easiest ones! Well I don't know if they're still 60% coursework but it is so easy to get 100% in your coursework. SO if you think about it you've already got 60% of your grade and then if you only get 50% in your written that's 20% of your grade = 80% for the subject. So I'd say do really well in your coursework for those subjects.

Yeah for me it was last minute cramming but definitely look at past papers and go through mark schemes to see what kind of answers examiners want. For English its writing loads of essays - well that's what I did. With languages you should try out writing letters and things for different topics and build up a collection of phrases that you can use. Maths - practise

ReputationRep:
    I found cramming very effective, and CGP revision guides totally useless.

ReputationRep:
    past papers, revision guides, notes. just do little bits every day and build it up over some weeks. that's what i did. we did so many science papers that questions previously used came up, and i think i was very lucky in that as far as english lit went, questions that came up were ones very similar to what i had done before.

but really it is whatever is best for you!
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    In English, to be quite honest, **** all ><

I was just good at it ><

Science, I revised. Not much more to it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.