• View Poll Results: Good or bad?
    Good
    10.98%
    Bad
    89.02%

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It can be quite funny at times. I do love it when people get in a huff about my A Levels and tell me that I don't deserve my place at uni and that they shouldn't have taken me in anyway :rofl:

:danceboy: :danceboy: :danceboy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    It can be quite funny at times. I do love it when people get in a huff about my A Levels and tell me that I don't deserve my place at uni and that they shouldn't have taken me in anyway :rofl:

Yes, I remember one guy who said that. Although he was an obvious rah.

:danceboy:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Yes, I remember one guy who said that. Although he was an obvious rah.

:danceboy:
    It's happened two or three times now. Telling them that they're free to e-mail my tutor and berate him for his decision always shuts them up though :cool: Sometimes people leap to my defence before I even see the posts! Think HoVis once launched a very spirited defence, which was nice :love:

ReputationRep:
    The intellectual snobbery on here can be amusing at times. For example:

(Original post by The Lonely Goatherd)
    I don't see it causing many problems.

ReputationRep:

I was laughed at on the Balliol open day for "only" having 2 A*s (hanging offence I know). The guy was from a posh grammar school,had straight A*s, and was applying for medicine. Am I a bad person for hoping that he failed to get in?

I think that's part of the reason I applied to Mansfield, it had fewer pretensious tossers floating around who thought they were God's gift to society.

I know that wasn't strictly related to TSR, but the guy had a similar mentality to some of the people on here.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    I was laughed at on the Balliol open day for "only" having 2 A*s (hanging offence I know). The guy was from a posh grammar school,had straight A*s, and was applying for medicine. Am I a bad person for hoping that he failed to get in?

I think that's part of the reason I applied to Mansfield, it had fewer pretensious tossers floating around who thought they were God's gift to society.

I know that wasn't strictly related to TSR, but the guy had a similar mentality to some of the people on here.
    You do get some right idiots on TSR and on Oxford open days. So many people were snobby about me get aaac at AS (OMG! Not straight As! Another hanging offence!) during my interviews. I hoped they didn't get in. They didn't :yeah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)

Although this isn't grade really grade-related, I think someone on the Oxford board referred to some guys from Harrow who didn't really like the subject they wanted to study, but were best at it in school and had a better chance of getting into Oxford because of it. Lol.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by BJack)
    I don't see it causing many problems.
    It doesn't! I just think it's hilarious that people get affronted by my grades when a) they haven't done their own A2s yet b) my tutor clearly didn't think it would cause problems, but clearly these people know better about my suitability to an Oxford degree and c) my tutor doesn't even remember my A Level grades! :rofl:

Meh

ReputationRep:
    Plus, I fear to see what would've happened had I got an Oxford interview. :s: Hung, drawn and quartered. :eek:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Plus, I fear to see what would've happened had I got an Oxford interview. :s: Hung, drawn and quartered. :eek:
    Possibly by the nasty ones amongst the fellow applicants but you'd just have to ignore them :yep:

(Original post by LukeWz)
    Your an idiot. Irony is fun.
    :facepalm:.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, you're always going to get arrogant people in a competitive environment.

However, since arrogance and intelligence aren't the same thing, don't assume that they are better than you. If anything, use it as an incentive to prove the idiots wrong.

ReputationRep:
    As many of you know, The Student Room is a room - a forum - for students, which certainly entails high levels of grade obsession and cockiness, along with a scorning of those who don't quite hit the standard. Oh so often have I seen people moan about people who get Cs and Ds in their A levels, and how they're the smartest person in the entire history of the universe ("I have a much bigger brain than you, look at my As" :hmmm:). Basking in their own magnificence, getting turned on by offers from the G5, screaming to the heavens that they are most certainly the best thing since sliced bread; only to be shot down by another person who has one more A than they do. Then their world comes crashing down. But then this leaves room for improvement.

Good or bad?

Discuss :smile:
    seriously for once in your life will you just shutup. such a mug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    Seriously, for once in your life will you just shut up? You're such a mug.
    I've corrected it for you. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    lol, i think if one spends ones time when not working on the student room, ones gonna be pretty obsessed with academia and proud of his cleverness.

ReputationRep:
    Where's the option for i'm not particularaly bothered about it?
    That was my answer, by the way.

But, I suppose for some people it will be good; it might encourage them to better themselves.
    For some people it will be bad, it may make them feel inferior and cause low self-steem.

There are good and bad points to most things in life without good inbetweeners.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with op

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of the people on the apprentice..

Being on here has made me work much harder for my grades, as I see what other people have and how they talk about them etc. I started coming on here regulary about 3 months ago.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm predicted CCD... but I consider myself to know much more about some other students on certain subjects.

ReputationRep:
    You do get some right idiots on TSR and on Oxford open days. So many people were snobby about me get aaac at AS (OMG! Not straight As! Another hanging offence!) during my interviews. I hoped they didn't get in. They didn't :yeah:

Somebody at my school, has NEVER got anything but top marks (All A*'s @ GCSE + All A's @ AS) and is ridiculously clever got rejected from his oxford interview... just goes to show being good @ exams isn't everything

Lots of people on this forum have laughed @ me for doing a "dumb" or "easy" course next year... however.. I bet i'll work harder than most of them put together!
    Hmmm... I think i went a bit off track then.. NEVERMIND

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.