Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty27)
    im really glad my mums not on facebook, i find it creepy. My aunty is on it now, and that creeps me out
    My mum: "what is a facebook?"
    Sums it up really :rolleyes:

None of my older relatives are on facebook, they don't need it/want it. My rents are never on the computer =\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilina)
    my mum is on facebook and she reads like my status's sometimes (she thinks i don't know) so when i got a new bf and my status changed to *in a relationship with. . . .* i was just waiting for her to come to me and ask who he was :p:

although my bf's dad also added me on facebook :afraid:
    hahahahahaha :laugh: :gigg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderlay in flames)
    Worse, my girlfriend's mum tried to bloody add me.
    I can't remember if my mum's girlfriend added me or if i added her lol...

but yeah.. my mum isn't on facebook :/ would be odd...

ReputationRep:
    My mum has facebook - we're not 'friends' on it though.

But anyway, OP just try the whole name dropping thing. I've never really felt comfortable discussing these things with my parents but they always seem to find out somehow. My dad is worst though - If I say "My friend {insert male name here} said such and such..." my dad's reply is always something along the lines of "Oh, your friend " :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have never discussed boyfriends with my mum before EVER because I had this whole obsession with secrecy when I was a teenager but since I've met someone I really like at uni and it could potentially be serious, I want to tell her but how do I?! I can't just say 'oh mum by the way, I have a boyfriend!' because this would be really strange for me!
    IT may be that you would just have to bite the bullet, so to speek, but as a possible alternative, do you email your mum? Perhaps you could drop in into an email?

ReputationRep:
    Mums usually just figure it out by themselves. When they hear you talking on the phone late at night, going out more, smiling for no reason

As for facebook... My mother can hardly turn on the computer, internet is way too big of a deal for her

ReputationRep:
    Name-dropping works, I did that :P Because he was already my best friend and I'd been in denial for like a year...it would've been weird...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miniaturexhero)
    Because he was already my best friend and I'd been in denial for like a year...it would've been weird...
    sounds very very very familiar to my gf

ReputationRep:
    Why would people hide the fact they have a partner or find it embarrassing? :confused:

Am I missing something here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cezmerelda)
    My Nan (74) has facebook. My Mum doesn't.
    My Nan, whose age I don't actually remember, has MSN, that always scares me! She seriously can't have many contacts...she claims its something to do with emailing...

I think name dropping is the way to go! Subtle hints, she will get it eventually

ReputationRep:
    name-dropping sure worked for me, seeing as my mom eventually accepted things as they were.. I couldn't just tell her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cavalier)
    My mum is on facebook, the clued up old thing she is. Need I say more.
    same. my mum is too. but she's not old...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.