Turn on thread page Beta

Button waits on F1 car's legality!!! watch

• View Poll Results: Is Jenson Button's car Illegal?
    Yes!
    16.22%
    No!
    72.97%
    Who? What? Where? When?...:eek:
    9.46%
    I don't care about F1!
    1.35%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v-zero)
    Ah, but the interpretation comes from the fine-tooth combs used to go over the rules. The current Ferrari was rushed into production during the later part of last season. Take the McLaren for instance, it wasn't at any decent stage until after the last championship ended. You need to remember Ferrari and McLaren were in a late and important development race at the end of last season, to try and win the world championship...
    Did you actually read my previous post?
    There is no way you are competitive like Ferrari and McLaren have been for a long time by leaving everything until the last minute every year. There is no way they didn't start development on this years car early.
    Seeing as both teams sell engines that has to be one of the most important things for them, then all the other thing that go into the drive train as they sell that as a complete package Then what, the aero, the thing that is going to provide down force in a season where as much down force as possible is being removed, following on from a season in which the main focus was down force, a season in which Ferrari and McLaren were dominant and Honda sucked. I think they would have covered it.

ReputationRep:
    Itll be fine.

Ross Brawn was is apart of the OWG I believe, and he questioned the rule and the loopholes ages ago and the fia decided to do nothing. They got it cleared in Austrialialand as well.

Also Honda had 15 months to pick through the regulations with a fine tooth comb so i would expect they where pretty clear on what they said.

Finally, if they where decide there illegal, i would doubt they would be disqualified from the 1st two races, as they where cleared to race with them anyway.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74358

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoHands)
    the tyrell did have 6 wheels though :rolleyes:
    it was legal :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Stevo)
    They ran it for nearly 2 seasons didnt they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Did you actually read my previous post?
    There is no way you are competitive like Ferrari and McLaren have been for a long time by leaving everything until the last minute every year. There is no way they didn't start development on this years car early.
    Seeing as both teams sell engines that has to be one of the most important things for them, then all the other thing that go into the drive train as they sell that as a complete package Then what, the aero, the thing that is going to provide down force in a season where as much down force as possible is being removed, following on from a season in which the main focus was down force, a season in which Ferrari and McLaren were dominant and Honda sucked. I think they would have covered it.
    No, McLaren and Ferrari always leave it late. They develop their current car to a point that it doesn't need too much modification to compete the next year, then they develop it further to get ahead.
    That's why a huge regulation change has fuggered them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    The FIA said it was legal in the first hearing - this is simply a somewhat desperate appeal. I'd be mighty surprised if they banned it now.
    :ditto: i'd put money on it being fine for Button etc.

ReputationRep:

i guess it was a good example of rules interpretation. no place stated cars could only have 4 wheels... but it made sense to ban that car. It was more a truck than car wheel number wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoHands)
    i guess it was a good example of rules interpretation. no place stated cars could only have 4 wheels... but it made sense to ban that car. It was more a truck than car wheel number wise.
    williams

ferrari

ReputationRep:
    This is old news, and there's no way they will disqualify Brawn. There's an outside chance that the rogue diffuser may be axed, but that's highly unlikely.. after all, it would be highly embarrassing for the FIA to have its decision reversed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yhsa)
    The FIA have already said it's legal; it would be hugely unfair to penalise Braun now.
    I agree and apparently,accoring to the chap who presents, the FIA's decision is hardly ever disputed by the this upcoming group so it is unlikely that they will do so now.

ReputationRep:
    For the "good of the sport" it should be made legal. If it was just one team that had come up with the idea then you could perhaps understand it being a bit of a grey area, but for three teams to come up with their own designs on their own, there's obviously an area in the rules that allows for this.

However, I fear that to allow Ferrari to catch up, the WMSC may vote to ban the diffusers. Although that will then work against them as it'll also work in McLaren's favour, and they wouldn't want that, would they :p:

If the WMSC do ban the diffusers and render the results from the first two races null and void (or disqualify the three teams using the disputed diffusers), it will be yet another nail in Formula 1's coffin - and I don't think it can take many more.

ReputationRep:
    Rory Byrne says they're illegal...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74409

And in terms of cost cutting it would make more sense to ban the things because it's cheaper for Brawn, Toyota and Williams to change to single level diffusers than for everyone else to develop double/triple/whatever level ones.

But the FIA has decided that it needs to keep those three teams happy (and therefore in F1) so they'll be deemed legal.

ReputationRep:
    Legal.

The longer the row goes on, the more money in Bernie's pocket because of the coverage it gets. Two seperate sets of stewards have found it legal, they wouldn't let it gone on this long if they were illegal imo.

ReputationRep:
    It will be legal. (voted yes instead of no, i fail at reading )

All the other teams except RedBull* will have already put a fair amount of reasearch and development into redesigning their cars so banning it for cost cutting isn't so valid. Besides, this new running order has shaken things up, people will be watching to see what happens. I've always been a Ferrari fan but I don't believe they will be sided with this time. It has also got past several sets of stewards, 3 different teams have come up with this and Brawn questioned these regulaions last year and they wern't told it was illegal then.

*I believe I heard that their pullrod suspension means the different type of diffusers cannot be fitted? Though if they had that and kers they would be mighty fast!!

ReputationRep:
    I will wait to see if they ban it, I hope they don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    It will be legal. (voted yes instead of no, i fail at reading )

All the other teams except RedBull* will have already put a fair amount of reasearch and development into redesigning their cars so banning it for cost cutting isn't so valid. Besides, this new running order has shaken things up, people will be watching to see what happens. I've always been a Ferrari fan but I don't believe they will be sided with this time. It has also got past several sets of stewards, 3 different teams have come up with this and Brawn questioned these regulaions last year and they wern't told it was illegal then.

*I believe I heard that their pullrod suspension means the different type of diffusers cannot be fitted? Though if they had that and kers they would be mighty fast!!
    I think your right on the suspension, i remember reading that the red bull will need completely redesiged rear end for the diffuser.

That said there going pretty darn well without one.

ReputationRep:
    williams

ferrari
    That Williams (FW08B?) absolutely blitzed the lap record at a track during testing so teams protested, and it was four wheel drive which was banned in 1983. Six wheeled cars weren't banned until later, by which time most teams had ditched the concept anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by castroneves)
    They ran it for nearly 2 seasons didnt they?
    Yea. Just enough for Williams, March and Ferrari to test their own. Williams was so **** hot they decided to make cars 4 wheels only.

ReputationRep:
    Ergh it's annoying me how there's so much controversy in F1 now, everyone behaves like little girls... what happened to getting on with it?

ReputationRep:
    It's back to the good old days tbh. None of this by the book crap.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 17, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.