Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by RollerBall)
    I said *write* being the keyword. Said nout about covering multiple songs.

There is a difference between writing and singing songs you know.
    :congrats: - nooooooooooooooooo ya don't say! :rolleyes:

What im on about - is her album overall apart from one song is full of songs which are not covers . . . that is what I mean . . she has written her own songs, but because she is now signed with <whatever label it is> she can not release them. I have got the album she did release whilst she was unsigned and I can assure you, they certainly are not covers and are damn good . . .

ReputationRep:
    I hear it sOLD really well. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LivingLegend91)
    Leona Lewis' cover reached No.1 whilst Snow Patrols original didn't so you can hardly say it's crap.
    Charts mean crap.

Leonas its trying too hard in this song and sometimes her voice just sounds ridiculous.

(or maybe its just me - SP Run is one of my favourites songs ever and I was like WTF when I heard what Leona have done to this song)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=LivingLegend91]
    Since when does anything in the charts instantaniously make it good?

Well considering it got to no.1 it couldn't have been that bad could it some people must have liked it to have actually spent money on it.
    Not many charts contain downloads at the moment, and not many people now buy music. Most download it through itunes.

And it can easily be that bad. Based on the generic stuff that gets to no.1 nowa days it's quite easy.

If I remember correctly, Bob the builder was a christmas number one a few years back, going to tell me that was a fantastic song too now are we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmae)
    Charts mean crap.

Leonas its trying too hard in this song and sometimes her voice just sounds ridiculous.

(or maybe its just me - SP Run is one of my favourites songs ever and I was like WTF when I heard what Leona have done to this song)
    Fair enough everyone can have their own opinion on it, personally I think Leona makes the song better but that's just my opinion.

A question for all here:

So if someone sings a song done by another artist, is that not allowed? . . . I get the impression that its a ''no no'' - when IMO everyone is entitled to do what the heck they like within reason. Yes some people might not like it, but others do.

What is wrong with that? . . . :dontknow: . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmae)
    Charts mean crap.

My thoughts exactly. She does her usual trying too hard as if she's trying to show off she can sing. Not all songs can be won over with that sort of thing. Some need thought and to be mellow, not to be moaned over in some over dramatic way.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=RollerBall]

Not many charts contain downloads at the moment, and not many people now buy music. Most download it through itunes.

And it can easily be that bad. Based on the generic stuff that gets to no.1 nowa days it's quite easy.

If I remember correctly, Bob the builder was a christmas number one a few years back, going to tell me that was a fantastic song too now are we?
    Downloads through itunes are included in the charts btw. And know Bob the Builder wasn't a good song but it was catchy and kids pestered their parents to buy them it for xmas hence the high chart position, can you say the same about Run?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    A question for all here:

So if someone sings a song done by another artist, is that not allowed? . . . I get the impression that its a ''no no'' - when IMO everyone is entitled to do what the heck they like within reason. Yes some people might not like it, but others do.

What is wrong with that? . . . :dontknow: . .
    No, I've got nothing against people that use other people song as long as they do the original justice. She destroyed the original mood of the song and you will never get as much credit as if it is your own song.

ReputationRep:
    It's frigging awfull. If you've ever heard the original/heard the original first you'd understand. Snow patrol have always been known for mellow meaningfull songs. It's a massacre.
    Heh. I've heard their version too. I like it... but Leona's cover is just as good.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=LivingLegend91]

Downloads through itunes are included in the charts btw. And know Bob the Builder wasn't a good song but it was catchy and kids pestered their parents to buy them it for xmas hence the high chart position, can you say the same about Run?
    It doesn't matter the choice behind it. It disputes the claim that anything in the charts/number one in the charts = good. Just because something hits the no.1 spot or even hits the chart doesn't mean it's a good song. It means either the album has following or it's catchy.

Radiohead are very rarly high in the chart however they are hailed as being one of the best bands of the last decade.

No, I've got nothing against people that use other people song as long as they do the original justice. She destroyed the original mood of the song and you will never get as much credit as if it is your own song.
    Yes, but what might be ''justifiable'' to you, may not to ''the boss'' people . . . .

Tbh it all boils down to personal preference and what they feel is right . . .

Think about it - if everyone in this world sent in their opinion of ''I want the song to be like this, this and this'', there would be sooooo many variations to it . . and not everyone's ''preference'' would be satisfied . . hence why they have just gone for the generic/what they feel is right . . .:dontknow:

(Tried to explain what I mean the best I can . . hope it kinda makes some sort of sense).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but what might be ''justifiable'' to you, may not to ''the boss'' people . . . .

Tbh it all boils down to personal preference and what they feel is right . . .

Think about it - if everyone in this world sent in their opinion of ''I want the song to be like this, this and this'', there would be sooooo many variations to it . . and not everyone's ''preference'' would be satisfied . . hence why they have just gone for the generic/what they feel is right . . .:dontknow:

(Tried to explain what I mean the best I can . . hope it kinda makes some sort of sense).
    Perhaps, but the original song is written by the person they pretain the song to be like. When sombody copies their song and destroys the mood then of course, it will hurt the fanbase.

And to go for the generic feel is a cop out to make money. You should do music like you feel you should do music. Not because that's how you think the world will best take your music and buy it.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=RollerBall]

It doesn't matter the choice behind it. It disputes the claim that anything in the charts/number one in the charts = good. Just because something hits the no.1 spot or even hits the chart doesn't mean it's a good song. It means either the album has following or it's catchy.

Radiohead are very rarly high in the chart however they are hailed as being one of the best bands of the last decade.
    I understand your point but I'm not saying that if a band or song doesn't do well in the charts that means they're not good I mean most of the music I listen to doesn't I'm just saying that for a song to reach no.1 it must be good in some way either it's catchy or it's just simply a good song.

Perhaps, but the original song is written by the person they pretain the song to be like. When sombody copies their song and destroys the mood then of course, it will hurt the fanbase.

And to go for the generic feel is a cop out to make money. You should do music like you feel you should do music. Not because that's how you think the world will best take your music and buy it.
    :dontknow: . . .The music industry is a peculiar: ya win some, ya loose some! . . .

There are going to be some happy folk and some miserable unhappy folk! . .

That's all I can put it down to tbh . . .:dontknow: . . .

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=LivingLegend91]

I understand your point but I'm not saying that if a band or song doesn't do well in the charts that means they're not good I mean most of the music I listen to doesn't I'm just saying that for a song to reach no.1 it must be good in some way either it's catchy or it's just simply a good song.
    It doesn't. Charts mean ****, you cannot gauge a band/songs performance based on a chart. You just can't. Songs can end up high in the charts for a variety of reasons, catchyness, due to just how bad it is, fad following, sheep etc. Hell, I know I'm behind but I'm aware of most of the new songs.

It can't have been that impactfull to never have been played on the radio during the school run or have been mentioned amogst peers?

ReputationRep:
    It's frigging awfull. If you've ever heard the original/heard the original first you'd understand. Snow patrol have always been known for mellow meaningfull songs. It's a massacre.
    SONIC BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOM

ReputationRep:
    :dontknow: . . .The music industry is a peculiar: ya win some, ya loose some! . . .

There are going to be some happy folk and some miserable unhappy folk! . .

That's all I can put it down to tbh . . .:dontknow: . . .
    S'pose, the music industry is now about pleasing a mass audience than staying true to your music. Tis a sad day.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, how has she "ruined" the song?

She hasn't done anything to the Snow Patrol version, it will still sound exactly the same if you listen to it now. :rolleyes:

She's just done her own version, which has done well, so it can't be all bad. Btw, this came out aaaaages ago.

ReputationRep:
    S'pose, the music industry is now about pleasing a mass audience than staying true to your music. Tis a sad day.
    Welcome to the 60's!

Blame the MPAA/RIAA for that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 28, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.