The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think possibly the reason why you feel you need to resort to plagerism is more important than actually doing it. You say your bad at writing essays, but if you are in your second year you must have had some practice right? If you are having a real problem with work you should really speak to your tutors, as just handing in other peoples work wont help you in the actual exam.

In the subject of plagerism, I expect the penalties will be harsh if you are caught, and would advice you not to hand in someone elses work under any circumstances. Even though the tutor may not be able to find the work on the web, they will probebly have a good idea of what yours and other students work generally look like and may ask you questions about your essay which you will not be able to answer.

I would say it is acceptable to buy an essay and use it as source material, totally rewriting it in your own words. At least if you do this you should take in some of it and it will have the look and feel of one of your own essays. If you think the essay is perfect, thance are your tutor will too and will come along and ask some questions.
Reply 21
Carrie12
Well, I am working because my parents can not fund my studies, accomodation, food and etc. What would you do?
They claim that it is University standard - I've shown it my by collegue - he said it is on the University level and very well written, with all references and all the staff...

Basically I do not consider 9.99 for the good quality essay is too much: I am being paid £5 an hour, so instead of doing 40 hours work on my essay I would better do my job for 2 hours! isn't it reasonable?

Do you really mean full-time or a lot of part time?

I'm not gonna get any help from my parents at all - I thought the student loan and working weekends would be enough! thats quite scary
Reply 22
I am working full-time, but I work in the Uni, so during my lectures (just 8 hours a week) I am studying. It was really difficult to arrange it, but I did it :-)

loftx !!! If I would rewrite it - how would I know it is still good? I did not do any courseworks on my first year.
Reply 23
Yes but think about it logically. Are the references right are they books that are on your reading list. Can you get them in your uni library? Cos if not they are going to know. DOes it exactly cover the points in your essay. Do you understand the subject, if you handed it in and your tutor called you in for questioning about it would you be able to answer his/her questions, does it reflect your regular writing style?
It is far too much of a risk and to be honest it is cheating. Most of us have parents who cant afford to pay our fees and we have to work but we do the work anyway. Cheating the system wont help you in the long run and most unis are well aware of the essay sites so I bet they will get you for it.
If you used it as a base and cited it in your essay you might get away with it otherwise you are on very dodgy ground. What subject are you doing?
Reply 24
I do business and marketing
Reply 25
If you dont know how to do essays you should ask your tutor for some more information. I would do that rather than buy an internet essay. I agree its tempting but not worth the risk.
Reply 26
for uni, wouldn't risk it. It would be sucha wate if you were kicked off. my uni takes the whole ant-plagerism thing v seriously and says you are plagering if you quote even 1 paragraph without referenceing it. Also they can tell. Like someone said earlier, if there are really obscure books on the bibliography that arn't in the library it will look suspicious. Also if there is no reference to notes that your tutors have given you in lectors they will also become suspicious.

I'm prety much supporting myslef as well but i'm finding the money situation ok with my loan and my savings from when i had my saturday job and was working in the holliday. Can't you just work during the vacations to supplement your loan?
Reply 27
our tutors don't bother!!!
Reply 28
emom100
for uni, wouldn't risk it. It would be sucha wate if you were kicked off. my uni takes the whole ant-plagerism thing v seriously and says you are plagering if you quote even 1 paragraph without referenceing it. Also they can tell. Like someone said earlier, if there are really obscure books on the bibliography that arn't in the library it will look suspicious. Also if there is no reference to notes that your tutors have given you in lectors they will also become suspicious.

I'm prety much supporting myslef as well but i'm finding the money situation ok with my loan and my savings from when i had my saturday job and was working in the holliday. Can't you just work during the vacations to supplement your loan?

I just checked - all the books and articles used there are available from our library :-)

I do not want to take loan, because I know if I'll spend money I'll never be able to return them. This is why.
Reply 29
i hate to admit it but copying essays of the net is like shooting urself in the foot, as when it comes to writing the essay in the exam youll have no clue.
Reply 30
You write your essays referencing your lectures I've never done that. But I agree unis are normally very hot on plaguarism espec from the internet. You would get instantly kicked off your course at my uni for it.
Reply 31
Yes but you will never get such a cheap loan again I have saved some of mine and its the only reason i can afford my postgrad- you get no funding for that at all.
Reply 32
You make profit if you take out the loan and put it in a high interest bank account for 3 years.
MattG
its not worth it, don't take the risk. i found teachers pick up on your writing style and will recognise other work.

This is true - I was caught out last year on my Macbeth essay but my teacher told me to redo it and she wouldn't say anything!

Take ideas and points from the essay and write your own. Not only is it your own work but then you can see how you are processing in the subject and what you have to do to improve.
Carrie12
Guys,

I have bought the ready-made paper from one UK web site. It is very good quality and I do not want to change anything, but I am concerned that my tutor may find out. What do you think?

How safe, do you think is to hand it in as it is?

Thanks Carrie

Well if it's coursework, the teacher, after marking it, sends it off to the exam board. Now the exam boards aren't stupid and they can easily recognise something off the internet. It's very risky and if you get caught you will fail.
Be careful, I think you should really do your own work; it's not worth the risk!
Reply 35
thats really poor! like id pay ANYTHING for someone elses shoddy work god id rather fail than be the fool who got ripped off. if ur gonna cheat at least get it for free somewhere - put the effort in!

besides which whats the point its obvious to ne1 with half a brain, the subject is probably subtely different and you;re still scr*wed in the exam.

and for english esp at gcse its without excuse its a joke comeon, make a random stupid point, put some roughly vague quote and thats it!
Reply 36
Ack, people like the original poster make me sick! If you buy essays off the internet, you deserve any punishment you get. Why should the rest of us spend our time slogging away at essays and coursework whilst people like you use other peoples' work?

In my opinion, plagerism is theft (intellectual theft) and I believe the punishment should suit the offense.

Sorry if I sound harsh here, but why are you bothering going to university if you don't want to increase your own knowledge and skills? Life's too short!
Reply 37
I have to admit the temptation to do this sort of thing is great and while I respect that you lead a busy lifestyle Carrie, is this really the answer?

It's a short term fix to get tutors off your back perhaps, but in the long run it's helping you in no way at all. You might as well not even bother to do the essay and put no effort in. Tutors set essays for a reason. When you applied to university I'm sure you knew it was going to be a challenge for you and this is all part of challenging your knowledge in your chosen field. If you don't challenge yourself, you won't learn and you won't get the best from yourself when you have to.

For a 2nd year university student it seems like a very immature thing to do. I am not judging you solely on you buying an essay obviously, but there are other routes you can go down and I think you'd be better off evaluating why you struggle to write essays instead of taking the easy way out.
Reply 38
Carrie12
Guys,

I have bought the ready-made paper from one UK web site. It is very good quality and I do not want to change anything, but I am concerned that my tutor may find out. What do you think?

How safe, do you think is to hand it in as it is?

Thanks Carrie

Your a fool if you do that and there is no satisfaction when you get your grade. Im not fond of the mountain of work ive got to do but im not going to take the easy way out and you will lose out because you will not gain the knowledge you would have by doing the paper. I hope you get caught it will serve you right. Harsh but totally fair!
Reply 39
Carrie, that was quite unintelligent, you are obviously a beginner in the arts of cheating :smile: there are university students that for 10 quid would be more than happy to write an original essay for you. i know there are harvard students that opened up a website in which u pay, send them your topic and a week later they will e mail u the essay with all quotations and everything. just find out who will do it for you. as for the one u have now, i would not risk handing it in without minor alterations such as replacing some words with their synonims, that would be enough to fool an anti-plagiarism software. just make sure u do it thouroughly.

Latest

Trending

Trending