Turn on thread page Beta

Should private school be closed? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    Private school are much better. Working class don't fit in with private schools, the working class should stay at grammer school, where other working boys and girls go too.
    lmao... brasil85 are you an old woman waving her rolling pin and talking about the good old days?

also I feel sorry for people [boys] who go to single sex schools because then they don't get the female interaction they need, I was unconfident enough with girls in year 7/8 imagine what i'd be like now in a single sex school

ReputationRep:
    Private school are much better. Working class don't fit in with private schools, the working class should stay at grammer school, where other working boys and girls go too. Only very stong minded working class boys should be allowed. My best friend is working class
    You are from Norwich...need I say more?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Private school are much better. Working class don't fit in with private schools, the working class should stay at grammer school, where other working boys and girls go too. Only very stong minded working class boys should be allowed. My best friend is working class
    Quite right - that way they're properly prepared for a life down t' pit :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    lol, i'm from brum, anyone got a problem wit dat?

ReputationRep:
    being deliberately contraversial i see. why should you segregate classes at school level when at university there is a total mix.

ReputationRep:
    Marxist is bad. I don't like the ideas all of them, it should banned The left wing ideas are ****. I don't like Labour and left wingers. I am a tory (not a member) and hope that we win the next election which we will now that IDS has gone thank god. I don't like that man he wasbad for the party.

ReputationRep:
    Marxist is bad. I don't like the ideas all of them, it should banned The left wing ideas are ****. I don't like Labour and left wingers. I am a tory (not a member) and hope that we win the next election which we will now that IDS has gone thank god. I don't like that man he wasbad for the party.
    well, why make yourself seem a classist warrior type :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Private school for the rich and middle class and for some working class. Eton is made for the rich

ReputationRep:
    Anyone be to priavte school

ReputationRep:
    Private school for the rich and middle class and for some working class. Eton is made for the rich
    define "middle class". isn't middle class one of these old fashioned terms for people who have lots of money because they started their own businesses? and the rich are the rich...

so private schools are for people who have lots of money

ReputationRep:
    Yes in away but clever and posh ok

ReputationRep:
    get over this class thing people. if someone is bright and talented this person shouldnt be at a disadvantage at a state school compared to a private school, the argument that thye've worked hard so parents should be able to secure a better education for their children is a valid one but many lower paid parents work very hard but cant afford private education.

ReputationRep:
    jeez, is this discussion at a high intellectual level or what. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Where was that?

Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    'Why private schools should be closed'
    Adam Swift, an undergraduate admissions tutor at an Oxford college gives his reasons for his opinion at http://www.telegraph,co.uk/education
    Click on 'why children should be equal'.
    As I have stated before on this thread, personally I have nothing against private education at the expense of the person doing the paying. However, I have strong feelings on the education of children at grammar schools at public expense because;
    Grammar schools no longer educate the bright children from impoverished families - 1.3% of pupils receiving free school meals compared to 13.9% at non-selective schools.
    Grammar schools provide a free education for the children of families who have paid for private primary schools or private tutors to 'cram' them for 11+ (in the main) - if they can pay for that they can pay for secondary education.
    One of Tony Blair's first actions in 1997 was to abolish 'assisted places' at independent schools because he said they were no longer being given to children from poor families but rather middle-class children whose parents 'played the system' - why can he not apply the same analogy to grammars?
    In areas where you have grammar schools, the results from neighbouring non-selectives are greatly diminished as these schools do not have a natural cohort of 25% - 50% - 25% ability spread.
    Consequently, in my opinion, grammar schools which discriminate against pupils on the basis of ability should either admit all abilities or go fee-paying (as many of them have done during Maggie Thatchers reign as Minister of Education).
    I accept that many forumites (particularly those attending grammars) will disagree with me, but in disagreeing, should give their reasons why they think the status quo should be maintained.

ReputationRep:
    i was at a private school for 5 yrs and the last yr (2003) i was at a state school. i am from new zealand so it may be a bit different here. my school fees at the private school were very exspensive and thats part of the reason to why i left. but i find that ppl in private schools seem to be happier and classier and i probably get on better with private school typed people. i like the state school i am at because people are friendlier and not as snobby - more down to earth - but i think private schools are great too. its a tough call - this yr i get the choice of going back to my old private school or staying at the state school i am at. i still havent made the decision but i think i will stay. private schools do help u 2 get a better education but the price difference isnt worth it really. if u work very hard at a state school u are just as well off, i think.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.