Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    I'd go for politics as with those subject choices it seems that you'll be likely to pursue something "artsy" and politics would perhaps be a little more useful in that respect. Without maths, you're choices vis-a-vis economics at degree level would probably be pretty limited.
    Yup, that's probably true... The applied calculus w/economics in the furhter calculus option was pretty fun though.

ReputationRep:
    This is probably the option I will drop after the first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    My other choices are:

English Literature
    French
    History

If that makes a difference.
    It probably does- it depends on whether you want to keep your timetable arty! Also, do you know what you want to do at university yet? For example, if you were to want to do history (like me, yay!) then politics would probably be more helpful in the long run just in terms of background, essay skills and so on. The subjects you have chosen as a whole would prepare you really well for any humanities degree actually, but as a historian thats a particularly good combination.
    You might not want to restrict your options yet though, in which case maybe you should go for economics. I took all essay subjects at A-level and enjoyed them but it does mean that you're more likely to end up on an essay based course. I dont know whether this would be a problem for you. I'd say both subjects are pretty useful, and from personal experience I do recommend politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    It probably does- it depends on whether you want to keep your timetable arty! Also, do you know what you want to do at university yet? For example, if you were to want to do history (like me, yay!) then politics would probably be more helpful in the long run just in terms of background, essay skills and so on. The subjects you have chosen as a whole would prepare you really well for any humanities degree actually, but as a historian thats a particularly good combination.
    You might not want to restrict your options yet though, in which case maybe you should go for economics. I took all essay subjects at A-level and enjoyed them but it does mean that you're more likely to end up on an essay based course. I dont know whether this would be a problem for you. I'd say both subjects are pretty useful, and from personal experience I do recommend politics.
    Actually I'm considering History. Though my current favourite choice is Law.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I'm considering History. Though my current favourite choice is Law.
    If you're thinking of history, then politics with those subjects would be a great combination- those are pretty similar to what I did myself in fact. Law wise, I suppose they might both be equally useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    If you're thinking of history, then politics with those subjects would be a great combination- those are pretty similar to what I did myself in fact. Law wise, I suppose they might both be equally useful.
    unless you want to go into business-related law, in which economics would be essetial...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    unless you want to go into business-related law, in which economics would be essetial...
    Warwick's Business Study and Law's only requitemnet is an A in GCSE Maths, though I admit this is waived if you have done Economics.

ReputationRep:
    My other choices are:

English Literature
    French
    History

personally i like economics, but considering your choices, politics would fit very well. it really depends on your tastes.

(i voted for economics if anyone's interested)

My other choices are:

English Literature
    French
    History

i personally wouldn't bother doing both history and politics as it looks pretty limited.

although i loved both subjects i think in your case economics would be a better option because both english and history will be heavily essay based.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    i personally wouldn't bother doing both history and politics as it looks pretty limited.

although i loved both subjects i think in your case economics would be a better option because both english and history will be heavily essay based.
    Isn't economics also essay based? IB economics certainly is!

(Original post by Linda)
    Isn't economics also essay based? IB economics certainly is!
    not in my experience, i think i wrote three essays in the whole of my a-level, actually no i tell a lie, one module of A2 was essay based but that was it, the rest is multitple choice/diagrams/short explanations, fab!

*sigh* how i miss price elasticity of demand

ReputationRep:
    hmm.... first year of politics is rather harsh, just facts upon facts - 2nd year it gets alot more 'debate' style rather than just lists of facts to learn.

You don't need economics for any economics degree the majority just require maths.... which you don't have in your list

So I would recommend politics and perhaps switching History for Maths, since alot of History is Politics...

ReputationRep:
    I do both at A-Level, my shout is definitely Economics. Far more interesting, a beautiful subject when it all clicks, and tests you in a wide range of skills including both literary and mathematical facility i.e. essays, graphs, calculations etc.
    Only take G&P if politics interest you, as besides the fact that you are encouraged to introduce the current goings-on in your essays and stuff, the presentation of it in lessons is so boring. Unless your teacher is a fun person.
    The Economics A-Level may include a coursework as well, as a whole unit. Makes the second year easier, especially important because the exam style changes to only essay stuff in the second year (whereas the first year modules might have a piss-easy multiple choice section). Also very well respected and received by universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    I do both at A-Level, my shout is definitely Economics. Far more interesting, a beautiful subject when it all clicks, and tests you in a wide range of skills including both literary and mathematical facility i.e. essays, graphs, calculations etc.
    Only take G&P if politics interest you, as besides the fact that you are encouraged to introduce the current goings-on in your essays and stuff, the presentation of it in lessons is so boring. Unless your teacher is a fun person..
    Funny you should say that because he is an incredibly funny person. The OFSTED report even commented on his use of humour. And I thought the first year looked interesting, British Politics is what interests me. What's more, the results are the best in the school; 62.5% of results are As and 94% of results are Bs or above.

ReputationRep:
    Politics or Economics at A-level?
    I do Economics A2 and some people say it can Be boreing But if find it intersting. I think the best thing is that u go to the AS or A2 classes once or twice and see if u enjoy it. they r both equally good altough i think economics 'd be better A-level to have in general.

ReputationRep:
    neither; do maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    neither; do maths
    I wouldn't do well in Maths.

I know the quality of the people doing Maths, and they are really good.

ReputationRep:
    Funny you should say that because he is an incredibly funny person. The OFSTED report even commented on his use of humour. And I thought the first year looked interesting, British Politics is what interests me. What's more, the results are the best in the school; 62.5% of results are As and 94% of results are Bs or above.
    Would it be possible in your school to take an AS in each, one one year and the other the next? Anyway for something like Law it really wouldn't matter which you did. I know Cambridge Law students with science "A" levels.

I also know someone studying History and Politics at Oxford with English, History, Politics and a language. They did all to A2. Enjoyed the Politics but didn't see it as on a par with the other three workwise. But the American politics studied have definitely been beneficial in settling in to the first term's lectures.

My advice would be to go with your instinct and study what you really enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by earthmother)
    Would it be possible in your school to take an AS in each, one one year and the other the next? Anyway for something like Law it really wouldn't matter which you did. I know Cambridge Law students with science "A" levels.

I also know someone studying History and Politics at Oxford with English, History, Politics and a language. They did all to A2. Enjoyed the Politics but didn't see it as on a par with the other three workwise. But the American politics studied have definitely been beneficial in settling in to the first term's lectures.

My advice would be to go with your instinct and study what you really enjoy.
    The school doesn't let you do any ASs after your first year.

At the Open Evening I was all set on Politics after visiting the department then I went into Economics and the Head of Economics came up to me and said "Do Economics!"

But I think I'll stick with politics.

ReputationRep:
    The school doesn't let you do any ASs after your first year.

At the Open Evening I was all set on Politics after visiting the department then I went into Economics and the Head of Economics came up to me and said "Do Economics!"

But I think I'll stick with politics.
    Well it's nice to be popular, but go with your instincts. A pity they won't let you do both. I know it's possible to take up a different AS in your A2 year in some schools but it depends on the flexibility of the time-table. Good luck anyway!!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.