"BBC tech chief calls for iPlayer licence fee" Watch

username33685
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
bah, there goes my plans of not buying a tv licence when i move out coz i only watch a few programs that I can get on iplayer/4OD anyway
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's unenforceable, and, as the article points out, there are no plans for it to happen despite what Huggers thinks.
FyreFight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's very, very easily enforceable. You just need to ensure that people who use it have made an account with iPlayer, like with 4OD, in which their license fee code has been used to activate it. Enforceability is a non-issue.
Duck and Cover
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmm, I'd be happy to pay a reduced iPlayer-only fee, (like with other pay-websites where you have to log in etc), but only if it's accessible abroad as well.
IchiCC
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Back to the Bay I go.
Jeester
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cactussed)
I back that. After all, the cost of maintaining the iPlayer service is pretty high I'd imagine. And it costs to make the programmes they put on iPlayer. If other people who watch it "live" should pay the licence fee, then everyone should.
They already do pay a kind of license fee with having to pay for broadband!
Jeester
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How many people would scrap their tele and paying TV license because they could watch it online?
An insignificant amount is what.
He should shut up.
And stop causeing a stupid inconvinience...
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FyreFight)
It's very, very easily enforceable. You just need to ensure that people who use it have made an account with iPlayer, like with 4OD, in which their license fee code has been used to activate it. Enforceability is a non-issue.
But you could give your code out to anyone so that would be pretty useless.
Will each member of your household have a separate account?
adamdivine
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
FFS... we have to pay for EVERYTHING
FyreFight
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by silent ninja)
But you could give your code out to anyone so that would be pretty useless.
Will each member of your household have a separate account?

It's not useless at all - password-locked accounts requiring product code activation is the basis upon which Steam, one of the most successful products in the video game industry, is built, and is similar to the massively profitable iTunes. Yes, there are always going to be people who break the EULA, but if that were a decent argument for scrapping the idea entirely then the people behind these services should give up on their multi-million dollar enterprises and go home.

Why would each member require a seperate account? Just enable the household computer(s), exactly like iTunes does with downloaded music.
silent ninja
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not useless at all - password-locked accounts requiring product code activation is the basis upon which Steam, one of the most successful products in the video game industry, is built, and is similar to the massively profitable iTunes. Yes, there are always going to be people who break the EULA, but if that were a decent argument for scrapping the idea entirely then the people behind these services should give up on their multi-million dollar enterprises and go home.

Why would each member require a seperate account? Just enable the household computer(s), exactly like iTunes does with downloaded music.
You should have access from anywhere, whether at home or at a public terminal at work or school.
FyreFight
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You should have access from anywhere, whether at home or at a public terminal at work or school.

Why? That's not how the License Fee works. A single license covers a single premises.
silent ninja
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why? That's not how the License Fee works. A single license covers a single premises.
But the internet is accessed from everywhere!
I dont know the user agreement in detail, but I wouldn't think the iPlayer is strictly for use at the premises for which the tv license covers.
Meus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The amount of greed in our society is ridiculous. Nothing on the BBC is worth paying for anyway
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think some of you are misreading this thread: the chief is saying iPlayer should be accessible only to current TV license holders. He is not calling for an additional fee. I would never pay that.
Shhh you'll spoil their irrational complaining
Psyk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Meus)
The amount of greed in our society is ridiculous. Nothing on the BBC is worth paying for anyway
Surely it's also greedy to expect it for free?

I think it makes perfect sense that you should require a TV license to watch iPlayer. The only reason you don't is a technicality. The TV license laws were made before the internet was widely available. They just don't make sense in todays climate because things are moving away from broadcast TV. And programs being broadcast as opposed to being played on demand is the whole basis of the TV license.
leeming
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Still dont know why we are forced to subscribe to this premium set of channels... i swear the adult channel is cheaper for a year subscription and thats better content lol

If iplayer goes pay then there will be a bit of a rise of other sites streaming and a bit more illegal downloads... its not gonna make them much more money really
Hibz123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am NOT paying:rant:
:tongue:
eulerwaswrong
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i find it a bit bad when everybody has to pay £140 or whatever it is these days - yet you have lots of people like students just watching it all for free online - you cannot deny it isnt fair.

Why not do a little advert at the start of every video. It isnt fair that tv watchers are forced to fund a website like the BBC - with all the content on it - its not as if it is cheap to maintain
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed