Got into Oxford, now what? Watch

threedaystar
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by IQ Test)
How does the Oxford admissions process actually work?
You have three gathering fields within which to apply. There is an online application. There you submit a CV, 2 writing samples of around 8 pages in length, a personal statement, and test scores if the dept requires them (TOEFL or GMAT or GRE, etc...). Some departments also require in person interviews or phone (for overseas).

You need an upper 2:1 or first class degree for almost any dept. Or if from the USA - a degree with above a 3.7 GPA. I know a lot of offers are conditional upon these requirements.

Unlike the undergrad process, you are allowed to "pick" two colleges and when you have been selected by the department - your file gets sent to your first pick. If they choose you, then you become part of that college. If they reject you, your file gets sent to your second choice. If they also don't want you - the department will make a college selection for you. As I understand it - once you are accepted by the graduate admissions committee from your department, you are garenteed a spot at a college.

So that's how I have found it so far. I am kind of clueless as to the next steps. I don't have a college placement as of yet - because I was just accepted and correspondence from my dept is all by mail (it takes 10 days to send it to me - arg!).
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by threedaystar)
Oxford = 2 years so more pricey in the long run as far as tuition goes.

But, one year in London is still going to be $$$. The city itself is more expensive to live in...
Having done my undergrad at Oxford, I wouldn't bet on London being all that more expensive than Oxford. Indeed, we often had campaigns - they never got that far - to try and get Oxford included in the London bracket of student funding because it is that costly. In reality they're probably about the same in that regard.

That said, I think you might find London the easier place to do politics compared to Oxford (I did History & Politics y'see) because Oxford, I would argue, is not as good for politics as it is for, say, history or english.

That isn't me trying to put you off but offering up a less "woah, it's Oxford" kind of a response. In either place you will find a large american community and Oxford has the Vere Harmsworth library which is chock full of American literature on a wide variety of things so you'll never get homesick!

Which colleges did you apply to out of interest?
threedaystar
(Original post by oriel historian)
Having done my undergrad at Oxford, I wouldn't bet on London being all that more expensive than Oxford. Indeed, we often had campaigns - they never got that far - to try and get Oxford included in the London bracket of student funding because it is that costly. In reality they're probably about the same in that regard.

That said, I think you might find London the easier place to do politics compared to Oxford (I did History & Politics y'see) because Oxford, I would argue, is not as good for politics as it is for, say, history or english.

That isn't me trying to put you off but offering up a less "woah, it's Oxford" kind of a response. In either place you will find a large american community and Oxford has the Vere Harmsworth library which is chock full of American literature on a wide variety of things so you'll never get homesick!

Which colleges did you apply to out of interest?
Thanks. I like logical responses and this is one of them. While everyone is super excited for me about Oxford, I am still stepping back and critically assessing everything.

But anyways - I applied to Merton as my first choices and Jesus as my second. I doubt I'll get either as they are super popular...
Chocca
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oxford not being as good for politics as anywhere in London is utter nonsense tbh.
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm a Europeanist too (although not at either university). I'd be quite split, since the course at Oxford is really interesting (and more so than the LSE course), but the staff at LSE personally would attract me to the place far more. Both are very well recognised so I wouldn't jump to make a decision on a career basis. In short, I really don't know which I'd go for - either will serve you very well. Have you managed to visit? Both places are quite 'marmite'.
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chocca)
Oxford not being as good for politics as anywhere in London is utter nonsense tbh.
It's not about Oxford being better than any single place; it's about the combined library resources of London being quite significant.
threedaystar
(Original post by IlexAquifolium)
Both are very well recognised so I wouldn't jump to make a decision on a career basis. In short, I really don't know which I'd go for - either will serve you very well. Have you managed to visit? Both places are quite 'marmite'.
Nope - I have been to the UK, but never to London or Oxford. I am going into this totally blind. I do like big cities - lived all over both the west and east coast of the US and am used to that. But I am also liking the sound of the "feel" of Oxford and being part of a community within a college.

I don't know...it's tough.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (255)
38.93%
No - but I will (45)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.18%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
47.02%

Watched Threads