OCR MEI D1 17th June Watch

scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If any of you need help with D1, download this revision pack: http://rapidshare.com/files/101784853/D1.zip It has notes, past papers and exercises in it which are really helpful and it is the sole thing that made me pass D1!
Shayke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
If any of you need help with D1, download this revision pack: http://rapidshare.com/files/101784853/D1.zip It has notes, past papers and exercises in it which are really helpful and it is the sole thing that made me pass D1!
That OCR MEI yeah?

If so, I'll have a look at it too, cheers for posting =]
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Shayke)
That OCR MEI yeah?

If so, I'll have a look at it too, cheers for posting =]
Yep, OCR MEI indeed Hope it's useful.
jahan218
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Scaryhair you are a legend!

The textbook for ocr MEI is rubbish, this is going to help much more!

Thankyou very much.
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jahan218)
Scaryhair you are a legend!

The textbook for ocr MEI is rubbish, this is going to help much more!

Thankyou very much.
Glad to hear it! We didn't even have the textbook for D1, those notes really were my only lifeline!
Good luck
jahan218
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have to self teach myself this module which is really annoying.
For some reason Critical path analysis and simulation just wont go into my head. I'm completely fine with all the other modules that are supposed to be harder but this D1 is just killing me !
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jahan218)
I have to self teach myself this module which is really annoying.
For some reason Critical path analysis and simulation just wont go into my head. I'm completely fine with all the other modules that are supposed to be harder but this D1 is just killing me !
Have you tried reading the notes on Critical Path Analysis in that pack? I really didn't get it until I carefully went through the notes and the examples.
jahan218
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
These notes are great! I went through the CPA and its actually starting to get into my head!
luckily i only need around 60/100 on D1 to get an A at As level so atleast I have a chance!
thanks again, i would have been totally stuffed without those files
Jc1990
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Will be sitting this next Wednesday. I've worked out that I need a pretty high A in order to balance out the mess which was FP2, so I'll be practising quite a bit this weekend. ><

Downloading the notes now, thank you scaryhair.
procrastinator21
Report 9 years ago
I don't like D1 but its better than S1 i couldn't do S1 at all (well i got a B) anyway to get an A in my further maths AS i need to get 97 in this i think becuase of the swappy thing and becuase i did even worse in M2 last year...i don't need a lot to get an A in my whole maths a level this year (becuase i'm doing D1 in year 13) because i should have done fine in C3 and C4 last week.

P.S loads of you are like oh i have 6 exams before D1 or I have a week inbetween my first exams and D1... I do not. I've got 5 exams next week and I've already done 11. yes i do have crazy subjects.
Babyblu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey can anyone tell me how useful it would be to have a graphic calculator in the exam? Can it be used to help with any of the questions??? Thanks!
Shayke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Babyblu)
Hey can anyone tell me how useful it would be to have a graphic calculator in the exam? Can it be used to help with any of the questions??? Thanks!
Wouldn't have thought it'd be any advantage for D1.
Chriz M
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Babyblu)
I've got one, and don't use it for anything except sums in D1. I'm not sure what you could use it for, you could program the algorithm into it if you had half an hour to spare at the end, but otherwise I can't see any use. The only thing I can see a use for would be some algorithm that find the root of something, or the lowest common multiple etc. A graphics calculator could be used here, but I'm not sure that will be much use.

THERE IS A USE I'VE JUST THOUGHT OF, linear programming, if you need to find the intersection between 2 lines, you can use the simultaneous equation solver to find the point accurately. (so you don't have a problem if the point is 7.2, 8.7 or something else you can't easily read off your graph, just make sure you have a graph that agrees!)

As long as you've done all the past papers, and are doing o.k. on then, the only thing you can do is hope!
Tallon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think you're better off showing workings for interesctions in linear programming.

I hate D1. my worst module. I hate all those simulations with queuing involved because it gets messy and ruins the whole question if you make one mistake and it's not clear with times. Does it mean time overall? or time for that particular thing to happen? bloody annoying.
safe_boy
Report 9 years ago
I can see this paper being ridiculously hard like M2..I hope I'm wrong!
procrastinator21
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by safe_boy)
I can see this paper being ridiculously hard like M2..I hope I'm wrong!
the maths is definitely is not as hard as M2 the only hard bit is doing what the question wants you to do which is not always what it seems to say. i need it to be easier than S1 as well as easier than M2

silly applied modules
Chriz M
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
With D1 I should be able to do everything, but I just seem to be caught out every few papers with a hard question and loss 10-15 marks on just 1 question. I hope I don't do this in the exam. My least favorite bits are: Networks (I hate those slightly random question on these, I can do the algorithms though), I also hate linear programing (should be easy but seem to make a few mistakes here), and finally the algorithm questions I hate counting the comparisons!

Sadly that doesn't leave that much I do like. I just hoping for a good paper, and hoping I won't make any silly mistakes.
procrastinator21
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chriz M)
With D1 I should be able to do everything, but I just seem to be caught out every few papers with a hard question and loss 10-15 marks on just 1 question. I hope I don't do this in the exam. My least favorite bits are: Networks (I hate those slightly random question on these, I can do the algorithms though), I also hate linear programing (should be easy but seem to make a few mistakes here), and finally the algorithm questions I hate counting the comparisons!

Sadly that doesn't leave that much I do like. I just hoping for a good paper, and hoping I won't make any silly mistakes.
i totally agree with you on the silly mistakes thing! in the mock at my school i wrote out the answer to an algorithm totally wrong even though i knew what the algorithm was doing and then i counted wrong and i ended up getting 0 out of 16

and how well do we need toknow bubble sort and all them ones?? i need to practice more but i get bored and they take up so much space and drawing and all sorts...
matt2k8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by procrastinator21)
i totally agree with you on the silly mistakes thing! in the mock at my school i wrote out the answer to an algorithm totally wrong even though i knew what the algorithm was doing and then i counted wrong and i ended up getting 0 out of 16

and how well do we need toknow bubble sort and all them ones?? i need to practice more but i get bored and they take up so much space and drawing and all sorts...
don't need to remember bubble sort/shuttle sort etc off by heart, just dijkastra/prim/kruskal (the networks-algorithms). - the specification says "Candidates will not be required to memorise sorting algorithms."
procrastinator21
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by matt2k8)
don't need to remember bubble sort/shuttle sort etc off by heart, just dijkastra/prim/kruskal (the networks-algorithms). - the specification says "Candidates will not be required to memorise sorting algorithms."
oh greatness i was wondering becuase we got taught them and then they haven't been in any papers that i've done. not that i've done very many but you know. i know the networky ones. i did a practice paper where we have to know first fit thouhg. not that thats a hard one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (404)
37.72%
No - but I will (82)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (75)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (510)
47.62%

Watched Threads