PRETTY URGENT!! Help with choosing Uni Watch

Smileytwin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by 0404343m)
I would guess that not having maths explains why you gained offers to two of the better B.A schemes, rather than the BScs. As I've said since the beginning, if the financial difference (and it'll be several thousand pounds) means nothing, then just go with your preference. I wouldn't worry about the offer difference- the development studies course at Manchester only has 50 places- Business Econ at Glasgow will be taught alongside the Econ stream and will have a few hundred places. Therefore, its probably to be expected Manchester carries a very slightly higher offer. Both are big student cities (around 100- 150,000 University and College students in each), so they'll probably feel very similar in many ways.
The financial difference does make a difference but my parents are probably going to contribute quite a lot so it's not a deciding factor in that sense. However, of course it's quite important for me that I wouldn't have to pay anything at Glasgow and about 10 000 at Manchester...It's just very difficult to make a decision based on personal preference as I've never visited either one of the cities but I do like Manchester slightly more so it's probably going to be my first choice
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Smileytwin)
(Original post by Paulwhy)
And do you have a preference between 2 such very different subjects?

Well for Economics neither is great:
Glasgow (TAELT 2010 23th, Times18th (2009), Indepedent 2010 18th (2009 17th), Guardian 2010 19th (2009 18th))

Manchester (TAELT 2010 24th, Times 39th (2009), Indepedent 2010 32th (2009 36th), Guardian 2010 28th (2009 30th))
But I guess Glasgow has the edge.
However Manchester is a favourite Student City.
Well I have liked the Developement economics I've done so far in IB a lot so in that way Manchester would be better. However, perhaps a broader degree like the one at Glasgow uni would be better in terms of employability as I don't really know that much you can do with a degree in Developement studies & Economics... I'm pretty certain at this point though that I'm going to go for manchester but I just keep going back and forth between the two... Overall though Manchester and Glasgow seem to be quite equal reputation wise, right?
No. I would say that for econ the Glasgow rep is moderate whilst the Manchester rep is below average.
0404343m
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
With respect- league tables mean virtually nothing in graduate employment. Research into trends for who gets jobs actually shows that aside from a few areas (notably Engineering), name recognition is usually the prime driver behind employment- and older, larger universities (particularly the Russell Group) and some of the 1994 group tend to have the best employment records. To this end, league tables mean very little.

The newspaper league tables chart things like 'employment prospects'- but typically only a small number of the course respond to it. How you can really tell from, say 24 of 38 in work after six months in a total class of 195 is beyond me. Its exactly the same story for satisfaction. While the TAELT shows how competitive courses are- this again can be misleading- as supply and demand tells us that fashionable universities can push up entry requirements, which then leads people to believe they are 'better' than they actually are- employment figures do not tend to support this view though. 'Unfashionable' cities- Glasgow, Liverpool, Belfast, Dundee, Aberdeen (lately seemingly Sheffield and Nottingham too) can see applicants hit accordingly, through nothing more than an ignorant stereotype- if it drives away a couple of hundred applicants, it can skew the stats and make the course look inferior, when in actual fact it may well be strong in teaching and research, just less fashionable than the current university that everyone wishes to apply to.

To this end, I don't think you'd have any tangible advantage with Glasgow, Nottingham, Manchester etc etc on your CV- candidates and employers are more individual than that.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 0404343m)
With respect- league tables mean virtually nothing in graduate employment. Research into trends for who gets jobs actually shows that aside from a few areas (notably Engineering), name recognition is usually the prime driver behind employment- and older, larger universities (particularly the Russell Group) and some of the 1994 group tend to have the best employment records. To this end, league tables mean very little.

The newspaper league tables chart things like 'employment prospects'- but typically only a small number of the course respond to it. How you can really tell from, say 24 of 38 in work after six months in a total class of 195 is beyond me. Its exactly the same story for satisfaction. While the TAELT shows how competitive courses are- this again can be misleading- as supply and demand tells us that fashionable universities can push up entry requirements, which then leads people to believe they are 'better' than they actually are- employment figures do not tend to support this view though. 'Unfashionable' cities- Glasgow, Liverpool, Belfast, Dundee, Aberdeen (lately seemingly Sheffield and Nottingham too) can see applicants hit accordingly, through nothing more than an ignorant stereotype- if it drives away a couple of hundred applicants, it can skew the stats and make the course look inferior, when in actual fact it may well be strong in teaching and research, just less fashionable than the current university that everyone wishes to apply to.

To this end, I don't think you'd have any tangible advantage with Glasgow, Nottingham, Manchester etc etc on your CV- candidates and employers are more individual than that.
I think we agree a lot more than you might think.
My point is that:
i) Manchester is a very fashionable amongst students.
ii) Manchester BA is still only ABB: the same as Glasgow. If Manchester was good as Glasgow academically for Economics would expect the cities attractivness to show through in the offers.
iii) Manchester's league table ratings are all a lot lower than Glasgow's. (And yes League Tables are flawed, not well defined etc. But I do not think all of the difference is down to flaws in league table design).
iv) Suggests Glasgow is the better of the two academically for economics.

But yes employabaility is important and it would be a good idea for the OP to do some job research. e.g. in the careers forums.
Smileytwin
Rep:
?
I just firmed Manchester University, no turning back now...:woo: Thanx for all your help people
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I just firmed Manchester University, no turning back now...:woo: Thanx for all your help people
Good choice. :yes:
fg08
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why do you worry about having to work parttime to pay your tution fees? You dont have to pay to tution fees while your studying if you are a citizen of a EU member state which Finnland actually is.
You have to repay fees when you earn more than 15000 pounds a year but not while your studies.
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fg08)
Why do you worry about having to work parttime to pay your tution fees? You dont have to pay to tution fees while your studying if you are a citizen of a EU member state which Finnland actually is.
You have to repay fees when you earn more than 15000 pounds a year but not while your studies.
They won't get the maintenance loan, though.
fg08
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeah but he is talking about the tuition fees. The only difference between Scotland and England is that in Scotland he wont have to repay tution fees. He wont get a maintance loan, neither in England nor in Scotland as an non UK citizen
Smileytwin
Rep:
?
(Original post by fg08)
yeah but he is talking about the tuition fees. The only difference between Scotland and England is that in Scotland he wont have to repay tution fees. He wont get a maintance loan, neither in England nor in Scotland as an non UK citizen
Okay, that's true but it would still be nice not having to think about repaying the tuition fees after I graduate (and I'm a "she", not that it really matters...
fg08
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh yeah sorry. I definitely can understand why Scotland offers a better system for repaying your tution fees as I decided myself to study there, allthough the fees were definitelyno reason for me.
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Okay, that's true but it would still be nice not having to think about repaying the tuition fees after I graduate (and I'm a "she", not that it really matters...
The way the repayments are set out means you end up paying very little and over a long time-period, so it's not really a worry. Plus there's nothing wrong with a bit of debt. :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (141)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.72%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.77%

Watched Threads