Best rabbit to keep for food? Watch

Fawn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by emmielociraptor)
Yes I eat meat, it's fine to eat rabbit and cow and chicken and whatever (I don't personally eat rabbit though, doesn't really appeal to me). But even though I eat beef (I loooove beef) I wouldn't be able to eat a cow that I'd kept as a pet. It's like eating a pet dog or cat or budgie or hamster or something. Would you do that?
Your reasoning is retarded
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Earl Nuce)
Yum.
http://www.mybunnyfarm.com/

French Lop is the biggest. More meat on the bone!
Thanks for that. Oh yes, the French Lop does look like it'll make a good meal.
lukaefc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Obviously just get the biggest/fattest/meatiest variety.
dougiemacs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes I eat meat, it's fine to eat rabbit and cow and chicken and whatever (I don't personally eat rabbit though, doesn't really appeal to me). But even though I eat beef (I loooove beef) I wouldn't be able to eat a cow that I'd kept as a pet. It's like eating a pet dog or cat or budgie or hamster or something. Would you do that?
If u know when u buy the animal that u will eat it eventually, then i guess so. I mean people keep sheep in their garden as "pets" and then slaughter them.
bex285
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

You monster
Age_of_Innocence
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A big fat JUICY ONE
emmielociraptor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Fawn)
Your reasoning is retarded
Excuse me for not wanting to put a name and face to what I eat. I find that a bit creepy.
yodude888
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I remember reading that in Germany they had genetically engineered some pretty massive rabbits to be given to N. Korea as food aid.

I would love to keep then eat one of those, it's like the size of a bloody cat.
Fawn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Excuse me for not wanting to put a name and face to what I eat. I find that a bit creepy.

Okay, now read back your statement. Think of the most obvious thing to do in these situations, yes, I know its hard, but keep trying!

Now that you've got there let's go over the results shall we? (Assuming you got any)

You DON'T emotionally attach yourself to the food.

Is that so difficult to understand?
ldmoore1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RyanT)
You don't seriously think they're somehow different from other rabbits do you?

There's nothing wrong with it. I'd like to try rabbit stew one day - maybe the OP feels the same?

You get a friend and a dinner. It sounds like a good plan, good on the OP but I seriously doubt you'll be able to taste the difference between rabbits. Although I do know that the rampant rabbit natural habitat is a student bedroom so it'll be easier to keep but I don't know if its edible - maybe someone can clear that up for us.
yes i am aware that all rabbits are ultimately rabbits and they are the same whether they are wild or tame buuuuut my point is, rabbits that are sold in petshops are for kids to come and buy and look after not for people to eat them!
and the whole friend and food thing its like eating your dog or something!
i dont agree with killing and eating any animal anyway but i can see why people would eat say a cow because its a large animal and it provides a lot of meat. However, a rabbit is tiny! What is the point in killing it when theres barely any meat on it and cows are being slaughtered for your consumption all the time and at least they provide for a lot of people.
emmielociraptor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Fawn)
Okay, now read back your statement. Think of the most obvious thing to do in these situations, yes, I know its hard, but keep trying!

Now that you've got there let's go over the results shall we? (Assuming you got any)

You DON'T emotionally attach yourself to the food.

Is that so difficult to understand?
Since you were so polite, I'll take the time to reply to that.

It's not difficult to understand, but in some cases it is easier said than done. Personally, I could not eat something that I had kept as a pet. That is MY opinion. I am entitled to mine, you are entitled to yours.
.x.Steff.x.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
uch that it horrible!!
you dont keep pet rabbits to eat
go to the butches if u really want it
xxkaylsxx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you really want to slaughter the poor animal yourself? :O
Antimatter
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can't you just shoot them like normal people do?
Sakura-Chan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
I'm thinking of keeping some bunnies for eating eventually. Which breed is the best? Meat wise, I mean.
Why don't you go to a butcher and ask what breed the ones they're selling are? Then find a breeder you can get some from. It's not difficult to do, but maybe telling them you just want to eat them isn't the best idea :p:

I wouldn't be able to kill anything, let alone one of my bunnies
Oladz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This thread is epic. :yep:
Lauren__x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How about a little furry ones named fluffy and snowy. Mmmm tastey.

******* disgusting.
Evil ***** =[
initiation
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As soon as I saw this thread I knew the expect all the 'OMG YOU CRUEL BARBARIC PERSON, HOW CAN YOU KILL SUCH CUTE FURRY ANIMALS' replied would be out in force.:rolleyes:

(Original post by ldmoore1)
and the whole friend and food thing its like eating your dog or something!
i dont agree with killing and eating any animal anyway but i can see why people would eat say a cow because its a large animal and it provides a lot of meat. However, a rabbit is tiny! What is the point in killing it when theres barely any meat on it and cows are being slaughtered for your consumption all the time and at least they provide for a lot of people.
It's not like killing a pet and eating it because you set of from the beginning knowing that the animal will end up in the pot. You would be surprised how much meat you can get of a rabbit, not much less compared to a chicken and many people keep chickens. Anyway how many people have enough room to keep a cow in their back garden? Almost anyone could keep several rabbits in their garden and they grow much quicker and multiply, well, like rabbits giving you a regularly supply of meat.

A more cost/space effective (or maybe not...) method maybe to get your gun license and talk to a friendly farmer with a rabbit problem.

Anyway rabbit is delicious meat and when I get a house I will be doing what the OP is doing plus some chickens and/or getting a gun license.

It is no different from keeping chickens in your back garden or any other animals at a smallholding.
Lee Lee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lol this thread is hilarious, its all about survival of the cutest isnt it?
Cows? Come herree nom nom nom
Sheep? mmmmm
Pigs? feeedd me seymore

but bunnys dogs and cats?
we are a funny lot arnt we!

Anyway! During the war, my dad used to live in London as a little boy before he was evacuated, space was limited so they kept rabbits for meat.
He therefore recommends Flemish Giants and Giant crosses
ldmoore1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by initiation)
As soon as I saw this thread I knew the expect all the 'OMG YOU CRUEL BARBARIC PERSON, HOW CAN YOU KILL SUCH CUTE FURRY ANIMALS' replied would be out in force.:rolleyes:

It's not like killing a pet and eating it because you set of from the beginning knowing that the animal will end up in the pot. You would be surprised how much meat you can get of a rabbit, not much less compared to a chicken and many people keep chickens. Anyway how many people have enough room to keep a cow in their back garden? Almost anyone could keep several rabbits in their garden and they grow much quicker and multiply, well, like rabbits giving you a regularly supply of meat.

A more cost/space effective (or maybe not...) method maybe to get your gun license and talk to a friendly farmer with a rabbit problem.

Anyway rabbit is delicious meat and when I get a house I will be doing what the OP is doing plus some chickens and/or getting a gun license.

It is no different from keeping chickens in your back garden or any other animals at a smallholding.

to be honest, my main concern would be how the rabbits are treated while they are alive. if they are happy and treated well and given a fulfilled life then thats the most important thing. also if theyre killed humanly.
and i also want to keep a chicken farm but not to kill them for food, i just like chickens
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (427)
37.89%
No - but I will (87)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (76)
6.74%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (537)
47.65%

Watched Threads