Any vinyl collectors? Watch

Srxjer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I found about 100 12" albums and about 200 7" singles in my parents loft. I have a USB turntable going into Ableton Live 8. Sure is good fun.
Calum_B
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I buy all my music on vinyl that I can. Not only is it easier to find for the music I listen to, but it is better quality, and I love having the actual thing along with all the artwork. Probably got about 50 LPs and around 30 45s at the moment at a guess.

I record them onto the PC with a Bush turntable run through an adapter into the line in socket (my 1960s Thorens TD-150 MKII needs a new stylus at the moment!!). I then record them with audacity which is good enough for what I want.
Pulkpull
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Calum_B)
but it is better quality
Depends on the source.
Hiphopopotamus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've just started getting into it. There are so many awesome vinyl shops in the Northern Quarter in Manchester, it's obscene.
61e.CR
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm slowly building a collection over the last year or two of mostly Hydra Head vinyl, because that's really the only way to get a physical form of some of the amazing artists work. I've got the US edition of ISIS' Wavering Radiant waiting at my post office (in colour, no less - white/yellow swirl limited pressing) and my friend, who is at Uni in Wales, lives near a great record store so he picks up records and I give him the money when he gets home. He's currently holding a mint condition Old Man Gloom ''Seminar III: Zozobra'' vinyl for me which I cannot wait to get a hold of when he gets back.

It's a slow process because Hydra Head vinyl is so expensive, but for a good reason considering how fine quality they are. The other thing is how difficult it is to collect ISIS vinyl as they're pretty cherished by all, so I'm having to resort to trade lists and the like. I might not even get to listen to the OMG record as I might be trading it for a blue pressing of Panopticon...

Damn.
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, I've got a fer vinyls. But I mainly collect 78s (specifically George Formby ones). We have quite a few Al Jolson 78s as well.
Hiphopopotamus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've just got Endtroducing... (DJ Shadow) on cd, and it's even better than it's reputation says it is. That's next on my hitlist :P
jaked275
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've been collecting vinyls for the past few years, got a nice little collection building. Best place to buy vinyls for me is off Fat Wreck Chords. They're dead cheap and although the postage is a kinda' high, if I do a bulk buy on pay day then it works out pretty good value.
roops
Report 9 years ago
I collect vinyl, does anyone else have a tradelist?

here's mine: http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/helloestonia
ApathyAndExhaustion
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 61e.CR)
He's currently holding a mint condition Old Man Gloom ''Seminar III: Zozobra'' vinyl for me which I cannot wait to get a hold of when he gets back.
i sold this and a panopticon repress to my housemate recently. i was bing into hydra head stuff when i started buying records but now not so much. (kudos on the la jetee avatar, by the way)

i wouldn't say i "collect" in the strong sense of that term. i have about 150 total, i guess. i'm trying to get into a habit of selling the ones i don't listen to and replacing them with new exciting things.
61e.CR
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ApathyAndExhaustion)
i sold this and a panopticon repress to my housemate recently. i was bing into hydra head stuff when i started buying records but now not so much. (kudos on the la jetee avatar, by the way)

i wouldn't say i "collect" in the strong sense of that term. i have about 150 total, i guess. i'm trying to get into a habit of selling the ones i don't listen to and replacing them with new exciting things.
Nice! Have you any more ISIS represses, or vinyl for that matter? On the subject of La Jetee, I'm really desperate to get my hands on a Celestial vinyl as it's probably one of my favourite A. Turner designs. I have it on CD but I need it larger!
ApathyAndExhaustion
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
beyond panopticon i only have the red sea on vinyl - i'm not sure what pressing that is though. think it's the first pressing of the 12" version. i'd quite like to own oceanic, but not enough to seek it out i don't think.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I collect Bon Jovi or Bon Jovi related vinyl
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.51%
No - but I will (19)
5.67%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (162)
48.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise