£1500 Watch

This discussion is closed.
ParadoxSocks
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Surely if you know what you want it to do, you know your budget then you should know how to build that system with Dell or any other full system builder. There's the higher end custom builders too if you're willing to go down that route. A quick google will show you the good ones.

It's not exactly rocket science.

And not to be annoying or anything, but you said that you didn't want custom built because of "warranty, warranty my friend". So why on earth do you have a hissyfit when others point out the awfulness of prebuilt systems warranties?
blue_shift86
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Daisuke)
I have a budget of around £1500-£2000.

I've taken a look at most Dell computers, and rather satisfied with what I can ge
Also I saw the "Ask us" Sticky... but I'm not asking what you think of a build etc... rather asking you for a build itself .

Thanks.
go for evesham. I have a 7 year old evesham and it's still working. They are built to last!
Daisuke
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by snoogy)
Surely if you know what you want it to do, you know your budget then you should know how to build that system with Dell or any other full system builder. There's the higher end custom builders too if you're willing to go down that route. A quick google will show you the good ones.

It's not exactly rocket science.

And not to be annoying or anything, but you said that you didn't want custom built because of "warranty, warranty my friend". So why on earth do you have a hissyfit when others point out the awfulness of prebuilt systems warranties?
I'm pretty sure the warranty on individual components don't cover as much as it would for example by Dell. I can buy warranty such as accidental damage on the whole computer and that's not available on individual components. Even if this is wrong, I don't give a ****, I DON'T WANT TO CUSTOM BUILD :| READ MY ORIGINAL POST. IT'S MADE VERY CLEAR.

I don't get why people need to question things so much, if I say I don't want it, it means I've decided not to want it, if I was unsure as to whether I would want it or not, I would have made this topic in light of that. But I'm not, I know I don't want to custom build because of my experience with custom builds the past 5 years and have decided to just go with a prebuilt computer and save myself from this experienced hassle.

And saying it's "not rocket science"... I know it's ******* not. I'm asking for ******* opinions. ****. Some people have different experience with certain times of brands, for example someone said Dell was a good and reliable, another said they're "****". Someone said that this type of HD set-up is bad etc etc. Just a quick google? How would I know the site is reliable, whether their build has any quirks etc...

Do I need to be so incredibly specific? I just want peoples opinions on what they think is a good prebuilt computer. As I said in my original ******* post, I've found some good Dell computers and I'm satisfied with what I can get for my money, and now I'm just looking for some comparisons from other peoples opinion on what they think is a good deal since I've never bought a prebuilt computer before.

Daisuke
(Original post by Kevin02)
lmfao dont listen to them there just hyping and trying to sell products to new customers like you lmfao.

... You think I didn't know that? :confused:

I was giving you an example as to why I don't ever go to PC World or Currys.
james99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This thread is so full of fail it's almost unbelievable!

OP, I take it you won't consider Apple? For that money you could get a Mac Pro *drools*. If you're not a fan then I'd go for the Dell XPS 435. Obviously you'll get more for your money with Dell anyway. Here are the specs for both for comparison:

Mac Pro (£1,595 incl. student discount)

Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" Processor (2.66GHz)
3GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (3x1GB) (Max 8GB)
640GB Serial ATA HD, 7200 RPM, 16MB Cache
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB Graphics Card
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
Standard 1 Year Warranty

Dell Studio XPS 435 (£1,699)

Intel Core i7 940 Processor (2.93GHz)
6GB 1067MHz DDR3 SDRAM (3x2GB) (Max 24GB)
750GB Serial ATA HD, 7200 RPM, 16MB Cache
ATI Radeon 4850 512MB Graphics Card
Windows Vista Home Premium
Standard 1 Year Warranty
divinelord
Badges: 10
Report 9 years ago

I've taken a look at most Dell computers, and rather satisfied with what I can get.

I am NOT wanting to custom build, I've been custom building since I was 13, and in the long run it seems to just be a pain in the ass.

I DON'T WANT ANY INFO ON CUSTOM BUILDS. I DON'T GIVE A **** HOW MUCH BETTER THEY CAN BE.

So yeah, monitor not required. Nothing particular required out of this PC, probably gaming but that's about it.

Only thing I ask is for it to have atleast 2TB of space, 4gig RAM.

Anyone know any good Dell builds or other sites etc? This is the first time I'm purchasing a computer that is not custom built... so I'm rather clueless.

Also I saw the "Ask us" Sticky... but I'm not asking what you think of a build etc... rather asking you for a build itself .

Thanks.
The responses here shock me.... listen guys he listed what he wants and if he had made up his mind why is everyone going against it? Fail thread

I am thinking Area 51 its got a nice core i7 processor but falls down on your HDD space requirements. Seriously man, 1TB internal and with the spare cash get a 1TB external one
Waheyyyy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I've taken a look at most Dell computers, and rather satisfied with what I can get.

I am NOT wanting to custom build, I've been custom building since I was 13, and in the long run it seems to just be a pain in the ass.

I DON'T WANT ANY INFO ON CUSTOM BUILDS. I DON'T GIVE A **** HOW MUCH BETTER THEY CAN BE.

So yeah, monitor not required. Nothing particular required out of this PC, probably gaming but that's about it.

Only thing I ask is for it to have atleast 2TB of space, 4gig RAM.

Anyone know any good Dell builds or other sites etc? This is the first time I'm purchasing a computer that is not custom built... so I'm rather clueless.

Thanks.
http://www.cube247.com/

I've got one; it's slightly on the noisy side, but you do get one amazing PC for your money. Have a click through the different models one the left. They've changed them since I got mine so I can't point out that.
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OH HEY.

YOU SPECIFICALLY ASKED FOR NO CUSTOM BUILDS.

BUT HERE'S INFORMATION AND A LOAD OF CRAP ON CUSTOM BUILDS.

Here's a few opinions on custom builds with no evidence backing them!

HAVE FUN

******* fail thread.
I'm pretty sure the warranty on individual components don't cover as much as it would for example by Dell. I can buy warranty such as accidental damage on the whole computer and that's not available on individual components. Even if this is wrong, I don't give a ****, I DON'T WANT TO CUSTOM BUILD :| READ MY ORIGINAL POST. IT'S MADE VERY CLEAR.

I don't get why people need to question things so much, if I say I don't want it, it means I've decided not to want it, if I was unsure as to whether I would want it or not, I would have made this topic in light of that. But I'm not, I know I don't want to custom build because of my experience with custom builds the past 5 years and have decided to just go with a prebuilt computer and save myself from this experienced hassle.

And saying it's "not rocket science"... I know it's ******* not. I'm asking for ******* opinions. ****. Some people have different experience with certain times of brands, for example someone said Dell was a good and reliable, another said they're "****". Someone said that this type of HD set-up is bad etc etc. Just a quick google? How would I know the site is reliable, whether their build has any quirks etc...

Do I need to be so incredibly specific? I just want peoples opinions on what they think is a good prebuilt computer. As I said in my original ******* post, I've found some good Dell computers and I'm satisfied with what I can get for my money, and now I'm just looking for some comparisons from other peoples opinion on what they think is a good deal since I've never bought a prebuilt computer before.

ok, calm down, do you want help or not?
at the end of the day, it's your money to waste, not mine. people are just trying to help you make better use of your money

i would suggest getting a custom built dell advent
N00bsicle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you are that deadset against custom building (I can actually understand to a point, though I would point out, its easier to replace the individual parts under warranty than fecking about with the entire system), I would recommend getting a Dell which comes with a Core I7 processor. I have seen one recently for under £700 with 6Gb ram. Obviously you would need to upgrade the hard drive and the graphics card (only if you were into serious gaming).

I would recommend getting a pc which is lacking the hard drive and the graphics card. My only reason for saying this is that companies charge a MASSIVE premium for the graphics card and harddrives. (eg the stock harddrive is reasonable, but to add extra stuff on is a fortune).

I've had a Dell (c2d, 4gb) as a third machine and its great. I have upgraded the graphics card and added an extra 1tb and it has not invalidated my warranty.

Whilst I am sure you know this, in this current market of computer components, there is substantial loss in gains after about £1,000.

Hope this helps
Daisuke
(Original post by N00bsicle)
If you are that deadset against custom building (I can actually understand to a point, though I would point out, its easier to replace the individual parts under warranty than fecking about with the entire system), I would recommend getting a Dell which comes with a Core I7 processor. I have seen one recently for under £700 with 6Gb ram. Obviously you would need to upgrade the hard drive and the graphics card (only if you were into serious gaming).

I would recommend getting a pc which is lacking the hard drive and the graphics card. My only reason for saying this is that companies charge a MASSIVE premium for the graphics card and harddrives. (eg the stock harddrive is reasonable, but to add extra stuff on is a fortune).

I've had a Dell (c2d, 4gb) as a third machine and its great. I have upgraded the graphics card and added an extra 1tb and it has not invalidated my warranty.

Whilst I am sure you know this, in this current market of computer components, there is substantial loss in gains after about £1,000.

Hope this helps
My computer blew up .

My custom built, lasted me 7 years, kept replacing the component that died... it did my head in, the amount of driver updates, the amount of hassle with rebuilding and re-doing all the wires... especially the PSU... then 2 weeks ago it blew up. I don't know how but from the looks of it as I've been too busy to clean it the PSU had overheated and just blew up. Which is ******* crazy.

But yeah, sorry for going overboard but it's just that I KNEW people were gonna try and say custom build etc, so I specifically put no custom build to make it clear, but people still insisted on trying to shove it down my throat.

Thanks for your inputs, +rep to most coming up :hugs: .
N00bsicle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What was the make of your PSU? Just out of curiosity.
Daisuke
(Original post by alexsheppard11)
ok, calm down, do you want help or not?
at the end of the day, it's your money to waste, not mine. people are just trying to help you make better use of your money

i would suggest getting a custom built dell advent
But I clearly stated that I basicallly KNOW I'm wasting my money. I've had the experience of saving my money quite a bit since I've been custom building for around 5 years now. I also said that I want to waste my money as I don't want to custom build.

I want help, but most people gave me the complete opposite, they gave me opinions on something I said I know and accept - it was even slowly turning the entire thread into a custom build hype.

Why not a Dell? See? I'm asking for help and you just say "advent, not dell" and not list why, I don't want to sound rude but this is hardly helping.

(Original post by N00bsicle)
What was the make of your PSU? Just out of curiosity.
Enermax, 600W.

(Original post by divinelord)
The responses here shock me.... listen guys he listed what he wants and if he had made up his mind why is everyone going against it? Fail thread

I am thinking Area 51 its got a nice core i7 processor but falls down on your HDD space requirements. Seriously man, 1TB internal and with the spare cash get a 1TB external one
I've heard that Alienware were bought out by Dell and now are just incredibly overpriced. I've tried to compare the 630 XPS to the Area 51 and the XPS seems to come out on top. The Intel Quad Q9400 seems to do it's job, or is i7 a beast?

From what I see they're both based on 45 NM architecture, I7 having 2 threads per core... that's 8 in total, and the Q9440 has 4. Is it worth the extra cash to upgrade?

Also I agree on the HDs, seems much cheaper to just get an external.

(Original post by Waheyyyy)
http://www.cube247.com/

I've got one; it's slightly on the noisy side, but you do get one amazing PC for your money. Have a click through the different models one the left. They've changed them since I got mine so I can't point out that.

* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
* Intel Core i7 920 Processor
* 6144MB Corsair DDR III Memory
* 2000GB SATA II Seagate Ultra Fast Hard Disk Space
* NEC 7200 Multi Format DVD/CD ReWriter
* nVidia GeForce GTX295 Ultimate Graphics
* Creative XFi Xtreme Music 7.1 Soundcard
* ASUS Deluxe Motherboard
* Multi Format Memory Card Reader
* NEC BLU RAY Drive
* 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
* 12 x USB2 Ports
* Firewire
* 12 Month Classic Warranty
* Antec Deluxe Case
* Microsoft Office 60 Day Trial
* Microsoft Windows Live Essentials

Hydra ST19
£1668.00
including VAT

Thanks for the link, didn't know this site was even about.
What do you guys think of this? Looks lovely too.
Asert
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it did my head in, the amount of driver updates, the amount of hassle with rebuilding and re-doing all the wires... especially the PSU... then 2 weeks ago it blew up.
you realise that you're going to have to update drivers on a prebuilt as well?

Enermax, 600W.
haha

Can I ask why you need a Core i7? 6 Gigs of RAM? A sound card? Blu ray? GTX295?

What on earth are you going to be using this for?
N00bsicle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would definitely go for a dell over alienware.

Whilst it goes against my whole nature to suggest the pc you have referred to (I could build a faster one for £700 less), it definitely ticks the right boxes.

The only things I would ask them are:

-What speed is the ram, and what is the latency.
-What motherboard exactly is it.
-Is the Processor a retail or OEM model. (1yr warranty vs 3yr).
-What make is the GTX 295. Is it a oem (basic one year warranty, or a branded make like the BFG/eVGA which give you 10yrs).
-Ask them if they would include a Blu-ray/HD-DVD rewriter. Dosent cost that much more, but wouldnt be to much to ask at £1,666 considering that it costs only a bit more than the NEC.
-What model case is it in particular?
-In what order are the hard drives (are they 2x1tb, or 4x500gb or 2x750, 1x500gb). Also what are the model numbers, and what is the warranty status on them?

I have just seen that this is but a 1yr warranty. For this amount of money it is puny, and I can not recommend it myself.

Instead, peruse the Dell website, spec out yourself a I7 rig with minimal graphics card. Replace it with a decent model (with a decent warranty), and get another hard drive if needs be).

Just my 0.02
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
But I clearly stated that I basicallly KNOW I'm wasting my money. I've had the experience of saving my money quite a bit since I've been custom building for around 5 years now. I also said that I want to waste my money as I don't want to custom build.

I want help, but most people gave me the complete opposite, they gave me opinions on something I said I know and accept - it was even slowly turning the entire thread into a custom build hype.

Why not a Dell? See? I'm asking for help and you just say "advent, not dell" and not list why, I don't want to sound rude but this is hardly helping.

I've heard that Alienware were bought out by Dell
sorry, that was sarcasm.
i would go for a dell, as you can customise it to what you want, and with a large budget, you have lots of options available.

and yes, alienware is part of dell now
Daisuke
(Original post by Asert)

haha

Read previous posts.

If I get a prebuilt system, it's prebuilt. However when I was custom building I had to keep changing the parts, and then formatting, and then changing drivers and update drivers etc etc etc. Also I said it's my ******* money, I want a beast, also said in previous posts. Also, **** off. "haha".
Asert
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My advice? Pick all the parts you want from www.cclonline.com and add on one of these http://www.cclonline.com/product-cat...category_id=81
Darkest Knight
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If warranty is important to you then I'd recommend Dell. You could easily get a top-spec PC from them for around £1k (if not less), and then just pay whatever is necessary for the best warranty.

I have a Dell laptop and a Dell PC and the support has been brilliant. On the 3/4 occasions I've had hardware faults over the past few years, each time, I've had an engineer round the next day to sort it out, and i'm normally compensated too!
N00bsicle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Asert)

haha

Erm, a I7 isnt exactly "crushinly high end". Any sort of gaming or video encoding etc will put it to good use. Not to mention that its the latest socket. You would recommend someone buying an old socket (LGA775)?

6Gb of ram is needed for the tri-channel. 3gb isnt enough so 6gb is needed even though not all might be used.

A sound card? Are you for real? I would suggest trying onboard then trying an X-Fi.

Blu-ray is a minimum. Its only like £60 a drive now, is the future and is nice to watch films on as well as future proofing yourself.

A GTX 295 is not impressive. Its a gaming card, albeit a crap one. Its a dual PCB config (which incidentially is being replaced this month by a single PCB version which is going to make this one obsolte and lacking in value). I would much recommend a GTX 285.
Darkest Knight
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh and by the way, I had an Alienware laptop a couple of years ago.. Really overrated. Could have got the same spec thing for less than half the price elsewhere. The only good thing about them is that they look good. And they are actually made by Dell, so not worth paying extra. In the end I sold the Alienware and bought a new Dell laptop.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads