Was Muhammad unobservant? Watch

boxingfan91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As far as I know, he was from a poor background and thus was illeterate, its not the same as in England where everyone gets a free education, back in them days, if you were from a stable background you'd have a good education.

At first he insisted he couldn't read, but the angel Gabriel insisted he read the verses that were revealed to him, and he managed to do so with the help of God. He obviously didn't write the Quran, that'd be like saying Jesus wrote the Bible.

I believe he became literate once he started learning the Quran and then memorized it.
Asert
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Throne)
Why? Firstly, he was a successful merchant. Secondly, he is believed by Muslims to be a prophet who received revelations from a supernatural being over a period of twenty-years - a supernatural being which supposedly placed great emphasis on literacy and knowledge.
It doesn't matter who the voice in his head belonged to - unless they physically changed him then, no, he was no different from the average man.
adamstaple
Report 9 years ago
Muslims claim that the 7th century Arab warlord they regard as 'prophet' was illiterate and so he couldn't have written the Quran. They assert that the Quran was dictated to the Quran by an actual angel called Gabriel over a twenty-two year period.

My question is this, why was Muhammad illiterate? Wasn't he a successful merchant? That would imply that he would (at least) know how to count and arguably to read and write to some extent. Not to mention the fact that Islam supposedly places great emphasis on knowledge, academia and literacy which makes you wonder why - even if we, for the sake of argument, accept that he was illiterate when he first began receiving revelations - he remained illiterate throughout those twenty-two years.
Are you the same guy who wants to 'stick a bacon roll up this Muslim girls fanny-flap'?

:facepalm:
Throne
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by someperson)
The reason He was illiterate was because in those times it was only the rich who were educated, which He was not. It had nothing to do with the fact of being incapable (ie 'retarded') or not being bothered.
Even if he wasn't literate when he first began receiving revelations, it defies belief that he remained in that position throughout the entire twenty-two years. You'd think he would put some effort into learning to read and write - after all, he is idolised by Muslims as being the 'perfect human being'.
daruishraz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Throne
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asert)
It doesn't matter who the voice in his head belonged to - unless they physically changed him then, no, he was no different from the average man.
So you think it's more plausible to believe that Muhammad was illiterate and that some sort of 'angel' dictated the Quran to him than to believe that he was actually literate?
Throne
Rep:
?
(Original post by adamstaple)
Are you the same guy who wants to 'stick a bacon roll up this Muslim girls fanny-flap'?

No.
Asert
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Even if he wasn't literate when he first began receiving revelations, it defies belief that he remained in that position throughout the entire twenty-two years. You'd think he would put some effort into learning to read and write - after all, he is idolised by Muslims as being the 'perfect human being'.
He probably couldn't use a computer either, heh, perfect human my ass, eh?
Asert
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So you think it's more plausible to believe that Muhammad was illiterate and that some sort of 'angel' dictated the Quran to him than to believe that he was actually literate?
Hmm do i believe it's more plausible that he had an angel dictate a book to him.......... or that god himself divinely inspired him to write it?

hmm... which one is more plausible ?
Throne
Rep:
?
(Original post by boxingfan91)
He obviously didn't write the Quran, that'd be like saying Jesus wrote the Bible.
Not really. Jesus had nothing to do with the Bible except that his story is being told in the bible
Hasan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Asert)
Depends on how you define "perfect human being".
boxingfan91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
He was a perfect human being in terms of his character.

He may not have been educated in maths, or science or whatever but the Quran is an oustanding literature on its own, and the knowledge of that far outweighs any other knowledge. There are things stated in the Quran that scientists only to this day have managed to discover.

Just because he never had a certificate of his education doesn't mean he never made any effort. Nowadays you ahve GCSEs, A Levels, University as a proof of education, the Prophet didn't have proof because he never went to a school, supposedly because of his background. But that's not to say he has no education. Didn't make an effort to read? So how on earth did he manage to memorise the Quran by memory?

Not really. Jesus had nothing to do with the Bible except that his story is being told in the bible
Well the Quran was sent to the Prophet, if you've read it their obviously not the words of the prohpet himself as it talks about Abraham, Moses, Jesus and other prophets way before his time that he wouldn't know of.

Each prohpet had a book, like Moses had the Torah, forgot what Abraham's was, but the Quran was the final book, it was a compilation of all other religious scriptures with extra content.
Throne
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asert)
Why don't you drop the sarcasm and actually put forward a half-decent point? It's not sensical to believe that a successful Arab merchant who was receiving revelations for over twenty-years from a supernatural being that placed great emphasis on literacy and knowledge to be illiterate.
Superstar6318
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nex Angelus)
muhammad jihad
Stop being politically incorrect!

Durka Durka Durka
Insane To the Brain
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh don't anger the muslims, they might declare a jihad on TSR

Asert
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hasan)
Depends on how you define "perfect human being".
It was sarcasm
Throne
Rep:
?
He was a perfect human being in terms of his character.
Well he apparently demanded that gay people be killed so it's questionable as to whether he was a 'perfect human being' in terms of his character.

There are things stated in the Quran that scientists only to this day have managed to discover.
Such as?

So how on earth did he manage to memorise the Quran by memory?
Perhaps because he was literate and the Quran is his creation.
so.simple
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Seriously, some of these posts are so ridiculous.
iGurpreet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If he could make all the stuff he said and get people to follow him then he must of had some brain cells.
Throne
Rep:
?
Well the Quran was sent to the Prophet, if you've read it their obviously not the words of the prohpet himself as it talks about Abraham, Moses, Jesus and other prophets way before his time that he wouldn't know of.
Why wouldn't Muhammad be aware of Abraham, Moses and Jesus? There were Jews and Christians in the Middle-East at the time.

Each prohpet had a book, like Moses had the Torah, forgot what Abraham's was, but the Quran was the final book, it was a compilation of all other religious scriptures with extra content.
The Quran is the final book according to you. For example, the Baha'i Faith believes that Muhammad wasn't the last prophet but that it was the 19th century prophet, Bahá'u'lláh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.83%
No - but I will (64)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.47%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
46.99%

Watched Threads