London Medical Schools? Watch

Basma
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
Lots and lots of students, limited teaching firms and limited patient numbers.

BL for example has students placed in hospitals in a triangle with it's corners in Colchester, Southend and the City. IIRC; GKT's ground stretches down towards Hampshire, George's goes right into Kent, RUMS' goes up to Watford and Imperial's goes out to the west somewhere.

So, people's ideas of living at home and commuting might not sound to bad if you only have to get from Wembley to Whitechapel (to give the example of someone I know), but it gets much harder when that journey extends out to Romford every day for three months or you're shoved out to a ****** room in Colchester for thirteen weeks.

P.S. Don't be fooled into thinking that this doesn't happen at every medical school, the differences are that provincial med schools usually have fewer placement hospitals (Wales notwithstanding) but have worse (or non-existent) public transport and greater distances to travel.
This is post-graduate medicine, right? I'm nervous now, I didn't know that you had to go farrr :/
Mushi_master
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Basma)
This is post-graduate medicine, right? I'm nervous now, I didn't know that you had to go farrr :/
Nope, this is on clinical placements during your degree. I know at King's I could potentially have placements down in Kent, or even Poole and Salisbury. Medical schools across the country all do the same thing.
Basma
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mushi_master)
Nope, this is on clinical placements during your degree. I know at King's I could potentially have placements down in Kent, or even Poole and Salisbury. Medical schools across the country all do the same thing.
Sorry about asking a lot, thanks for the help.
So, how would you go to uni everyday, but also have a far-off placement to go to?
Mushi_master
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Basma)
Sorry about asking a lot, thanks for the help.
So, how would you go to uni everyday, but also have a far-off placement to go to?
Well, when on placement, you'll be at a particular place for a few months. If it's commutable, you commute, but for further out placements as far as I'm aware you'd most likely stay in hospital accommodation.
Aaron_1507
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
The accom isn't.
Where did you stay?
Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Basma)
Naughty :hmmm:
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Basma)
This is post-graduate medicine, right?
Wrong.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Aaron_1507)
Where did you stay?
I didn't, I managed to avoid it but a lot of my mates weren't so lucky. All I've done is Chelmo (not bad but no phone signal) and Sarfend (quite small but free internet). The rest have been infirms; RLH, Barts, Vile End, Da Hom, Nam, Queens and King George.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Basma)
Semantics aside, no, being sent away from your "base" hospital is normal at all medical schools I know of. How they handle it and how far you go does seem to vary but you will have to go away for some of it wherever you go.

I think Cambridge takes things to extremes a bit, especially in the final year, but this year I've had 3 9 week placement blocks in different DGHs around East Anglia, plus a 4 week GP block which was also about 30 miles from Cambridge. Fortunately for us, the clinical school pays for us to stay in hospital accommodation when we're on placement so we don't have to commute daily - most of us tend to do it weekly, or sometimes pop home midweek if you're not too far away. Other places do it differently though - UEA seem to put on a daily bus to take their students to their regional placements, which is far from my idea of fun!

As for the London ones, I am under the impression (and sure Renal et al will correct me if I'm wrong) that longer daily commutes are the norm for some placements (when I am based in Cambridge it takes me 3 minutes from my house to Addenbrooke's), but as AEH says, when you get past zone 6, your cosy living at home arrangements are not going to work.
Aaron_1507
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
I didn't, I managed to avoid it but a lot of my mates weren't so lucky. All I've done is Chelmo (not bad but no phone signal) and Sarfend (quite small but free internet). The rest have been infirms; RLH, Barts, Vile End, Da Hom, Nam, Queens and King George.
Ow ok so there isnt much competition to get placed in colchester when at barts or is it random ?
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
As for the London ones, I am under the impression (and sure Renal et al will correct me if I'm wrong) that longer daily commutes are the norm for some placements (when I am based in Cambridge it takes me 3 minutes from my house to Addenbrooke's), but as AEH says, when you get past zone 6, your cosy living at home arrangements are not going to work.
My longest commute is just over an hour (give or take ten minutes) from Whitechapel/Mile End so it's not too bad.

The problem is that if you're living over West or down South, say, and you have an early start out East you'll be leaving very early, but the tubes do start running about half five.

Commuting is not that much of a problem in preclinical years because you'll rarely have to be anywhere before 9, never before 8, and you'll always be in and around the base university.
Failed123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As long as all those GCSEs you posted are real 'GCSEs', instead of BTEC, OCR Nationals, DiDA, NVQ, then you should be okay in my opinion.
Aaron_1507
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Failed123)
As long as all those GCSEs you posted are real 'GCSEs', instead of BTEC, OCR Nationals, DiDA, NVQ, then you should be okay in my opinion.
Damn.....is OCR nationals aload of crap basically i have two distinctions are they not counted? :confused:
Failed123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Damn.....is OCR nationals aload of crap basically i have two distinctions are they not counted? :confused:
Well, they don't count as A* / As or anything, and are not considered equal to real GCSEs. They can't hurt your application though, but they are not really regarded as a 'big deal' in comparison to a GCSE in ICT. Depends on medical school I guess, they are still worth UCAS points though.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
My longest commute is just over an hour (give or take ten minutes) from Whitechapel/Mile End so it's not too bad.

The problem is that if you're living over West or down South, say, and you have an early start out East you'll be leaving very early, but the tubes do start running about half five.

Commuting is not that much of a problem in preclinical years because you'll rarely have to be anywhere before 9, never before 8, and you'll always be in and around the base university.
Same for Cambridge, the first 3 years are fine unless you're at Girton. But I'm NOT a commuty-type person (or a morning person), and an hour either way each day is not my idea of fun! Especially on the smelly tube. Can't wait for next year, hey?
Aaron_1507
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Failed123)
Well, they don't count as A* / As or anything, and are not considered equal to real GCSEs. They can't hurt your application though, but they are not really regarded as a 'big deal' in comparison to a GCSE in ICT. Depends on medical school I guess, they are still worth UCAS points though.
ok....not good
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Same for Cambridge, the first 3 years are fine unless you're at Girton. But I'm NOT a commuty-type person (or a morning person), and an hour either way each day is not my idea of fun! Especially on the smelly tube. Can't wait for next year, hey?
Does the tube run sarf of the river? :p:
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
Does the tube run sarf of the river? :p:
Not where I'm going. I have to get the even smellier bus (I think). :eek:
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not where I'm going. I have to get the even smellier bus (I think). :eek:
DLR & bus IIRC.
Failed123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ok....not good
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have a load of those qualfications too; BTEC, AiDA, OCR Nationals, and all Key Skills ICT, Number and Communication to level 3 :p: Kind of annoying actually, but you have to work with what you got, and your qualifications aren't everything, you can still win them over with other areas of your application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (456)
38.06%
No - but I will (90)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.93%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (569)
47.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed