Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    Excellent choice:
    'I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled ...'

just to give you an appetite for it.
    ha ha!
    i used that in a debate once the adjudicators seemed really worried about where i was going

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gringalet)
    I didn't quite mean it like that, but anyway.

There's no political satire at all in this book either? No comment on literary life in Stalinist Russia?
    Thinking about it there may be an indirect political satire: compare this Moscow and what the devil does toit with what Stalin did to Moscow- which is worse?
    If there is literary satire it's very unspecific- compare Black Snow or some of Bulgakov's plays or his biography of Moliere, where there are definite tactics.
    The master and Margarita is a wonderful book. It just isn't very satirical.

ReputationRep:
    1984 was a very good read (by George Orwell). Feels more like a standard novel than Animal Farm. But it did lead to the channel 4 evil that is Big Brother, so not all good has come of it.
    A Modest Proposal was hilarious! We studied it as a sideline from our main English Literature GCSE work - Animal Farm.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's certainly not the most satirical book ever, but I still think it should be placed under 'good satire books'.

Everyone just read it anyway!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.