Turn on thread page Beta

When people refer to Africa as a country watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shikabane)
    Reply with "Do you speak European?"
    I was about to post "Reply with "Do you speak American" " then I realised American is not a language either :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    All black people look the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooner1991)
    Oh and one more thing that annoys me yet so many people have asked me, 'do you speak African?'
    There is a language called 'Afrikaans' which is the Dutch translation of 'African'. Commonly used by South Africans.

ReputationRep:
    You can't tell from looking at a basic map. It looks like a country same as Australia, which is a country. Calm it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    Surely there are not normal people who are THAT ignorant?
    Been to America?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolicon)
    There is a language called 'Afrikaans' which is the Dutch translation of 'African'. Commonly used by South Africans.
    Beat me to it.

On topic, it's not just Africa, nobody says, hey I'm going to the United States of America, they just say, I'm going to America.

Then, I get highly confused when people here on TSR talk about those Asians?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radiated yoghurt)
    Been to America?
    Hm, you talking about the continent as a whole, i.e. North and South, or any specific country?

ReputationRep:
    Laugh at their idiocy, correct them and move on. 'Tis what I do.

ReputationRep:
    Same with Asia. "There are many Asians where I go to school" when people often refer to Chinese/Japanese/Oriental folks, but exclude Indians etc.

ReputationRep:
    Been to America?
    I was mainly wondering if there were many British people are supossedly normal intelligence who were really that ignorant? I wouldn't be suprised at all at a question such as that coming from the mouth of an American, but I always thought the average British person was a bit more wordly.

ReputationRep:
    I was mainly wondering if there were many British people are supossedly normal intelligence who were really that ignorant? I wouldn't be suprised at all at a question such as that coming from the mouth of an American, but I always thought the average British person was a bit more wordly.
    It's called a joke, and I was referring to the U.S.A

ReputationRep:
    It's called a joke, and I was referring to the U.S.A
    What the **** is your problem? I was simply replying to you quoting me. GTFO.

ReputationRep:
    What the **** is your problem? I was simply replying to you quoting me. GTFO.
    Calm down, what's your problem.

If you've ever seen a couple of videos of US Americans being asked about general things like where in the world is Iran or that blonde woman who was asked about something European (http://www.wat.tv/video/blonde-ameri...vpp_erw6_.html). you know what he meant with "Been to America". The USA part I believe was in response to my response, of course I knew that he meant the USA and probably said it to show that it's not just Africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I don't see the problem. Most people don't have a great geographical knowledge of Africa, so it would be pointless telling them, "I'm going to Angola" or "I'm visiting Eritrea". People reference places like France, Germany etc because everyone in Britain knows where those places are. To most Brits, all they know about Africa is that it's a continent, so it makes sense to simplify it, just like you'd tell someone with limited European knowledge that you were travelling through Eastern Europe, rather than list every single country you're going to that they won't know anything about.

Besides, plenty of people say things like, "I'm going to South America", when they're visiting multiple countries. I don't really see a problem.
    I don't understand why you wouldn't tell people the name of the country. Why would you want them to remain ignorant? All they will say is 'where's that?' And you would simply say 'in East Africa' or 'just outside Kenya'. Not really that much of a problem. How would you recommend/warn against going if you don't even let people know where you went?

Yes, people say that when they're visiting multiple countries. They even say that about Europe when they are European, but they say it about African countries even if they're only going to one.

ReputationRep:
    Most American people I've spoke to have led me to believe that London is the only city in England.

ReputationRep:
    Surely there are not normal people who are THAT ignorant?
    oh yes..they're generally called Americans

Looking at a map of Africa is rather funny, as you can see that some colonial ruler guy has clearly just drawn arbitrary horizontal and vertical straight lines to define where one country ends and another begins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooner1991)
    Oh and one more thing that annoys me yet so many people have asked me, 'do you speak African?'
    My favourite ignorant question! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bennn)
    Most American people I've spoke to have led me to believe that London is the only city in England.
    Yes and all of England is just one city. There is nothing except London.

Also one time I was with my friend who lives in the states and two of her friends and I said something about spending summer in Bordeaux and they just sort of looked at me and said where's that? And I said in France and then one of them said I thought Paris was in France?
    Yes; there is more than one city in France. Le gasp!

ReputationRep:
    it's SO ANNOYING when people call it a country. I don't think they even realise...

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.