Turn on thread page Beta

would the world be in a better or worse state without religion? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janos_D)
    and you think people will just stop "sexual action", no?
    They are at least cupable, yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    They are at least cupable, yes?
    as culpable as people who live next to an active volcano for their potential suffering. Surely?

(dammit couldn't help it)

ReputationRep:
    as culpable as people who live next to an active volcano for their potential suffering. Surely?

(dammit couldn't help it)
    They can restrain from sexual action. They can't stop a volcano from erupting.

ReputationRep:
    They can restrain from sexual action. They can't stop a volcano from erupting.
    well have it your way. Such moralising won't help or absolve the suffering that the Catholic Church has intentionally inflicted on the world

ReputationRep:
    well have it your way. Such moralising won't help or absolve the suffering that the Catholic Church has intentionally inflicted on the world
    Intentionally?

ReputationRep:
    Intentionally?
    well, the consequences of holding such a position, and vigorously promoting it, are obvious. Better say: they intentionally promote a viewpoint the consequences of which they know and ignore.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's merely speculation as we could never know, but my opinion is that the dominant historical role of religion in society is an important part of societal development. Forgive the generalization but I am saying this in terms of the basic useful values to be drawn from all religions operating in a position of influence in all societies.
    Religion, was historically important to some degree for the development of society; as it preached tolerance, advocated self-development, encouraged concern for others, privileged ethics, and offered a metaphysical grounding to the world (albeit a skewed one).

Now in my opinion religion has become redundant as a vessel offering all of these things today, but perhaps many of the things of greatest benefit to society today have sprouted out from the ideology of religion, science to name but one. I think it is better to have suffered religious cultural domination and to move beyond it than to bypass it altogether.

ReputationRep:
    Problems caused by religion = ?
    Problems casues by non religion = ?

Better state without religion.

ReputationRep:
    I'm inclined to think that without a religious "explanation" for everything, people might start to take responsibility, and start seeing the good in humanity. Instead of saying "oooh, that's great, God did well there" maybe we could start saying "wow, look what WE have managed to achieve", and instead of "It must be part of God's plan" we could start to ACT to change things for the better. When we look to God, we underestimate ourselves.

...But thats jus me

ReputationRep:
    religion is not evil, people are

ReputationRep:
    Religion gives people both something to live for, but also something to die and fight for. Hundreds of wars have been fought over religion, but it has also brought about some amazing acts of kindness and human generosity.

I think people will always find stuff to fight about - as they are doing at the moment - it just so happens that it was religion for centuries. I think the world would be in a worse state, but not hugely.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to tell. I mean, Crusades and the Dark Ages aside, people always found reasons to fight each other. Religion played an important role but even if it weren't for religion, it's highly unlikely that we would have had peace during these years. However, in other ways we may have been more free and particularly more "stereotype"-free. Namely, a lot of what we consider nowadays to be "bad" qualities stem from our religious heritage. Language, sex-sexuality, appearance etc.

So you can't really tell... it's hard to imagine what we would be like without our past. It destroys our current "identity" altogether and our concept of what is wrong and right. What is wrong and right again is heavily influenced by our culture including religion. You can't seperate yourself from your enviroment... our whole notion of order comes from observing reality.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.