Turn on thread page Beta

Only the Americans survive. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Tingler)
    :yep:

Damn those pesky Americans...also, are you obsessed with Apocalyptic movies or something???
    Not 'obsessed', but I do like them. Makes for interesting movie fare - for the most part. There is some rubbish out there, of course
    (Original post by Princesschickenbelly)
    Why should the fact that they are made by Americans mean that every actor/actress should be forced to have an American accent to make it seem that only the Americans survived?
    You do realise that American movie producers have no faith in their target audience (i.e. Americans)? 90% of American producers think that the only way to relate to Americans is to have every person in their film speak with an American accent. It pisses the **** out of a lot of the Yanks - albeit it occasionally for the wrong reasons (when they say that Brits/Aussies/whatever are stealing their movie roles). Unfortunately, it's the sad truth of the matter - regardless of how they feel about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Correction:

Only the white Americans survive.

The black guy always dies. The exception being Will Smith, obviously.
    Watch I Am Legend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayk)
    Not 'obsessed', but I do like them. Makes for interesting movie fare - for the most part. There is some rubbish out there, of course
    Lol, I was talking to the OP.

Probably should have said that. >_>

I'm a horror fan myself, but I think that type of film is hard to do.

Why is it in pretty much all films where most of the population dies those that survive are always American?

Even when the actors are not American they still have to put on an American accent just so we all know that only the Americans survived.

I'm currently about 20 minutes into Aeon Flux and already there have been 4 English actors/actresses and an actor from New Zealand all with American accents and there is set to be another 3 English actors/actresses, a Swedish actress and a French actor who I'm sure most if not all will be sporting an American accent.

In fact looking through the cast on IMDB there seems to be only about 5 of the cast that are actually American, all the rest are English or European and yet they ALL have to put on an American accent.
    I suppose because the Americans think they are the only race with any worth.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe British people should make more films then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-lover)
    That's Hollywood for you.
    True

ReputationRep:
    That's why I like V For Vendetta because America is plagued by civil war and disease.

On the upside, I think in Children of Men, Britain is the only surviving nation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snuzz)
    On the upside, I think in Children of Men, Britain is the only surviving nation.
    The film is set in England but there are other groups of people around the world. Plus there are different nationality actors, they are not made to have an English accent to make it seem like only the English survived (because they haven't)

ReputationRep:
    The film is set in England but there are other groups of people around the world. Plus there are different nationality actors, they are not made to have an English accent to make it seem like only the English survived (because they haven't)
    Yeah, that's a fair point but it is progress. At least Britain as a state is surviving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snuzz)
    Yeah, that's a fair point but it is progress. At least Britain as a state is surviving.
    :yep: :gthumb:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.