Turn on thread page Beta

Who takes: Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry and Biology? watch

ReputationRep:
    I did bio, chem, physics and maths to A2 - only finished this summer. I considered taking FM but heard it was hell so decided against it. My A Level combo was do-able although physics did get quite annoying at A2 - AS was fine! :p:

On the whole, the easiest was probably maths, hardest physics (weird when they are both quite similar). AS biology was easier than AS chem, but A2 chem was easier than A2 biology IMO.

And I applied for medicine too (like most of the others who did those subjects :p:)

ReputationRep:
    I did Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths + Further Maths, and Music, all to A2; in A2 I also did an EPQ in a science-related subject. But I started Maths AS and Biology AS in Yr11 so it wasn't quite as heavy workload as it could have been. Overall, the workload was fine (although I feel I should've worked much more for A2 Further Maths, and A2 Music started sucking up a disproportionate amount of time for about a fortnight, and the EPQ was a bit of hassle at times), but then I don't have a "life" so I didn't have any other priorities :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I regret not taking Further Maths. So bloody much. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    My bro did all 5 and he does medicine I did all not including biology but took economics and FAM AS, I applied for maths - neither of us dropped a subject .

ReputationRep:
    I have done it, but only ever 4 at a time. And it was manageable.

(1st Year was FM, Maths, Chem, Physics, 2nd year was Maths, Physics, Chem and AS Biology)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyGurl13)
    I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry (well about to start) and I can't wait

I enjoy the look I get when I tell people... :P

But the choice you make really depends on your academic skills as you've proven with your As-level results you are exceptional at these subjects. For example if I had chosen Art, English language and French for example even though this seems like a less shocking combination I would fail with flying colours. So even though what you're doing might seem hard if you're good at it it won't be. You just need to bare in mind that you'll have to work a lot but if you enjoy the subjects that it'll be fine as I don't mind revising for maths & science as it is interesting whereas I dreaded revising geography.

Some people will say it's better to do really really well in 4 subjects that just do well in 5 as top universities look at your score and not just your grade.

Oh by the way I plan to do pure maths at university it has always been my dream.

GOOD LUCK with whatever you choose
    doesnt seem so bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    I regret not taking Further Maths. So bloody much. :sad:
    me too

ReputationRep:
    I did all five, because I was **** at everything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chioco)
    me too
    Mind, my school never offered it and I didn't really realise how important it was. But, now I do, and I r full of regret.
    I guess English Literature will be good-ish since I'm most probably applying for Medicine, but Physics... :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    doesnt seem so bad
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aphswarrior)
    What a surprise seeing you here.

:zomg:
    aha you just experienced something i've experienced three times on here already..

ReputationRep:
    I did.

It was fine, really.

There is absolutely no workload, because you never have to do anything!

I'm continuing all but biology to A2, but I want to take biology.
    My school may not let me, we'll see in August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    Mind, my school never offered it and I didn't really realise how important it was. But, now I do, and I r full of regret.
    I guess English Literature will be good-ish since I'm most probably applying for Medicine, but Physics... :sigh:
    My school did, I just decided to be lazy at the beginning of the year and didn't take it. ahh wellz. No point complaining about it after exams are over. We should enjoy summer and be glad that we had 3 less exams than those FMers.
    btw what subjects did you take?
    And i'm definitely applying for medicine as well, so yeah.... =/

ReputationRep:
    A question:
    I haven't done triple science at GCSE because my school introduced it the year after me - typical? Will this make it harder for me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chioco)
    My school did, I just decided to be lazy at the beginning of the year and didn't take it. ahh wellz. No point complaining about it after exams are over. We should enjoy summer and be glad that we had 3 less exams than those FMers.
    btw what subjects did you take?
    And i'm definitely applying for medicine as well, so yeah.... =/
    Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, and English Literature for me.
    Yourself?

Hah, yep, well, 2 less exams for me.
    I have been pretty darn lazy this year. I could've managed doing it in my own time but I couldn't be bothered. Oh well. What can you do aye?
    Maybe take an AS in it next year. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    Physics>Chemistry>Biology

Workload is manageable. Physics links with Maths and all you have to do in Physics is learn how to use the formula sheet as a prompt.

Chemistry needs a few months to get your head around, especially with organic chemistry and Biology is a slog to learn everything and is the one you need to revise most for.

No arts subjects, applied for Maths.

More details in the spoiler below or on my profile page, in the spoiler.
    Was there a reason given for Cambridge rejecting you? Your academics are, indeed, ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    I did.

It was fine, really.

There is absolutely no workload, because you never have to do anything!

I'm continuing all but biology to A2, but I want to take biology.
    My school may not let me, we'll see in August.
    Your interests...
    I officially adore you. :love:

ReputationRep:
    Why not?
    I know a bunch of people who do similar subjects and they dont find it amazingly hard tbh

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done triple science at GCSE because my school introduced it the year after me - typical? Will this make it harder for me?
    You should be okay — the few people I know that only took double award kept up fine.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished A2 Maths, FM, Chemistry, Biology and Physics - I'll tell you whether it was worth it on August 20th

But no, from my (as yet ungraded) experiences with 5 A-Levels the worst bit is people saying: "OMG you're doing 5?!?!?!?!" whenever you mention it. :mad:

Oh, and friends will have no sympathy when exams come around and you complain about the amount of revision you have...

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.