Turn on thread page Beta

Paramedic waits 16 minutes to enter a flat and help a 999 caller watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    My step father is a paramedic and ex fire-fighter and risked his life every time he went on call. He has had a gun pointed at him and attacked with a knife. I don't blame the poor ******* for waiting to enter a potentially life threatening situation. I'm getting rather sick to the back teeth of people having a go at the emergency services for doing thier jobs. Fire-fighters fought a blaze in a massive high rise a few days ago and yes, some people died. Instead of congratulating them people are calling them incompetent. This country makes me sick sometimes.
    I can't see the purpose in sending a single paramedic who is afraid to enter a flat from which a 999 call has been received.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2005)
    What would the medic have done if the door had been closed.

I guess he would knock on the door,wait a few minutes and then go home for his tea.
    oh my god :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I can't see the purpose in sending a single paramedic that is afraid to enter a flat from which a 999 call has been received.
    They usually travel in twos so i can't answer that. Personally i think you should be grateful that when you press 999 you get any help at all. Talk about selfish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    they're not paid enough to take that risk
    I don't care what they're paid - if they can't do the job, then they shouldn't be paid a penny. I hope he gets sacked, and I hope he finds out what a paltry wage is when he can't get a decent job because the whole country knows he's an idle tosser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    yes and the paramedic didnt know that
    He should have phoned his dispatcher for advice.

I think that if I were phoned for help and the door was open then I would simply enter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I don't care what they're paid - if they can't do the job, then they shouldn't be paid a penny. I hope he gets sacked, and I hope he finds out what a paltry wage is when he can't get a decent job because the whole country knows he's an idle tosser.
    Rather unfair don't you think.

ReputationRep:
    They usually travel in twos so i can't answer that. Personally i think you should be grateful that when you press 999 you get any help at all. Talk about selfish.
    So what are we paying them for? Talk about low standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    To be fair though the paramedics probably saved a lot more lives and it's this one failing which could be blamed on the operator’s incompetence and red tape which requires people to go through a whole host of procedures before being able to do their job.

The paramedic is going to have to live with that guilt for the rest of his life, punishment enough I think.

If he had stood outside because of pure malice, laziness etc then him never getting a job again would be justified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    So what are we paying them for? Talk about low standards.
    Wow, Just wow. I certainly don't think we are paying them to turn up to help and injured person and actually have a gun pointed to their heard by a polish drug lord but hey it happened. I don't think any of you have the slightest idea what is like to get into a fire engine/police car/ambulance and not know what the hell you are going to have to deal with when you get there. But hell you do it anyway because that is your chosen career and you want to help people. You pick one story where one man made on wrong choice and suddenly they are all idle tossers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andiio)
    but it's in South London at midnight :O

No, but on a serious note, regardless of who to blame a man has died. Whether or not treatment within those 16 minutes would've saved his life is the important issue.
    Another issue is what is the correct procedure for people living alone who need urgent medical help.

You live alone and get sick. You can't move. You call 999 and since you are alone the medics can't or won't enter your house.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, Just wow. I certainly don't think we are paying them to turn up to help and injured person and actually have a gun pointed to their heard by a polish drug lord but hey it happened. I don't think any of you have the slightest idea what is like to get into a fire engine/police car/ambulance and not know what the hell you are going to have to deal with when you get there. But hell you do it anyway because that is your chosen career and you want to help people. You pick one story where one man made on wrong choice and suddenly they are all idle tossers.
    You said this: "Personally i think you should be grateful that when you press 999 you get any help at all"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    You said this: "Personally i think you should be grateful that when you press 999 you get any help at all"
    I meant that as in you should be thankful that we have a 999 system. I realise now i didn't make that very clear...

ReputationRep:
    Another issue is what is the correct procedure for people living alone who need urgent medical help.

You live alone and get sick. You can't move. You call 999 and since you are alone the medics can't or won't enter your house.
    When you call 999 the operator will ask who else is there. Therefore the medics will enter the house regardless of who answers the door because they will have been informed by the operator that the only person at home is the patient.

I'm surprised the operator didn't tell the paramedic to expect a door on the latch though.

ReputationRep:
    It would be pointless for a paramedic to rush in to a house and end up hurt or dead. They have their own safety to think of as well and if they are hurt then the patient (if there is one) will definitely get worse.
    Therefore, there is no point them rushing into a situation without a proper assessment because it would just mean multiple casualties.
    Paramedics are people too and shouldn't have to take extreme risks with their own lives to enter a suspicious situation when they haven't been properly informed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    When you call 999 the operator will ask who else is there. Therefore the medics will enter the house regardless of who answers the door because they will have been informed by the operator that the only person at home is the patient.

I'm surprised the operator didn't tell the paramedic to expect a door on the latch though.
    I would hope that you are correct. In this case the operator should have told the paramedic that the door was on the latch,( we don't know whether the operator did or did not do this) BUT the paramedic , who was obviously concerned about the open door should have contacted the dispatcher for an update. He had 16 minutes in which to make the call, instead of making this call he apparently called for Police backup.

It seems to me that the paramedic is at fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I expect more than that from emergency service staff. I expect them to put their life at reasonable risk.
    do you want to double our salaries if not more ? and how aobut tripling our sick pay arrangements as well ?

ReputationRep:
    I would hope that you are correct. In this case the operator should have told the paramedic that the door was on the latch,( we don't know whether the operator did or did not do this) BUT the paramedic , who was obviously concerned about the open door should have contacted the dispatcher for an update. He had 16 minutes in which to make the call, instead of making this call he apparently called for Police backup.

It seems to me that the paramedic is at fault.
    Why are so bothered by this?

ReputationRep:
    The paramedic was completing a risk assessment before he deemed it suitable for him to enter.

I would have done the same, where's the sense in having two dead guys?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people should be bashing the paramedics here - we should be grateful we even have them in the first place.

I think the problem here was communication between the operator and the medic - if there was just a bit of an explanation into the situation as they made their way over, the paramedic could've acted much faster. I agree they should be cautious - what if a robber was there? then it would be 2 lives potentially gone, and people on the forums would be going "jeesh, why didn't he look around and make sure it's safe to go in".

I think it is important to be safe when checking any emergencies, since most emergencies are caused by dangers or accidents. The fault here was the communication. Sure, it's easy to point the finger at the man who was there, but if the operator simply told the paramedic everything they told the dying man, the situation would've be a lot better. The paramedic was simply doing his job, and everything he was taught. Don't blame him, blame the teacher.

ReputationRep:
    They usually travel in twos so i can't answer that.
    incorrect and the SOP for single responders is if they are unhappy to enter a premises they do not and await further resources be they police or ambulance service.

there are also a list of AMPDS codes and types of locations to which solo responders are not sent

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2009
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.