Turn on thread page Beta

Boring highstreet shops watch

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, La Redoute is good too. Promod is another French brand that's widely available in Britain (maybe not in physical stores, but definitely via catalogue).

ReputationRep:
    A high street shop's primary concern is making a profit. Especially at the moment when the retail industry is weak, this means they can't take huge risks on 'out there' and different collections that have a higher chance of being a miss. One bad season and they could go under, so they - and everyone else - generally stick with the safe option and go for mainstream trends.

Choice of swimwear is usually crap too, lots of stringy bikinis for those with no/tiny breasts. :eek: I can't wear tankinis either because they're all "low-cut" and I feel far too self-conscious. :o: So I bought a Marilyn Monroe-style bandeau thing instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amritok)
    Yep, This is exactly how I felt last saturday. I went to Merryhill in Dudley and went into shops like jane norman, topshop, new look, river island, primark, warehuse, dp, monsoon, west one, republic, oasis, debenhams, etc etc and they all had similar clothes and most clothes wre just rags and horrible.

Every time I went into a store I just walked back out esp topshop - They are normally good but I just don't know whats happned to the clothes, they are awful. Seems like most shops are trying to copy primark. Most of the stuff in the stores I would never wear them. There were just patterned dresses which didn't look that good and tops which were horrible. I hated it. Didn't buy anything, It wasn't worth the money. Shops are just going down in standards.

I also went to allsaints one day and there was a dress that looked like a bin bag for about £260 lol. It was so horrible that I just kept laughing in the store with my mates.

Maybe I should have went bullring but tbh I don't think I would find anything really nice
    that was a GCSE geography case study for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Examples of French stores: Cyrillus, Camaieu, Pimkie, Jennyfer, Etam (they used to trade in Britain too but not sure if they do now), Kookai, Un Jour Ailleurs, Sinequanone, Zapa (not to be confused with Zara!). Not sure how many of these retail online though.
    There used to be an Etam in Nottingham with a Tammy above it, but that shop is a Miss Selfridge now. I think they have disappeared off the map completely.

(Original post by gernumblies)
    There used to be an Etam in Nottingham with a Tammy above it, but that shop is a Miss Selfridge now. I think they have disappeared off the map completely.
    Like C&A which they still have in Europe (well Poland at least!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happydinosaur)
    Like C&A which they still have in Europe (well Poland at least!)
    Yeah I saw a really big C&A in Paris

ShopRuche.com sells some nice stuff, decent shipping rates too from what I can gather

Another website is http://www.awear.com/page/home

ReputationRep:
    some of boring highstreet shops are yet to be shut down.

ReputationRep:
    I just think everyone dresses the same these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    I've always been more of an internet shopper anyway but it seems that this problem hasn't really hit France yet (so I would recommend ordering from French shops if you can, lol!!). I went to a shopping centre a few weeks back for some summer clothes and had almost complete success - came back with a dress, a skirt, a pair of shorts and a pair of trousers. Easy really! I do feel for you though - I went on a Topshop Style Advisor thing with my sister last year and while I did end up buying a couple of things, a lot of the things they were bringing me to try on just looked really stupid and superficial (both on the hanger and on me). Plus, when I was working at Henley Regatta a year or two back, they stipulated that they needed you to wear a plain white long-sleeved shirt. Could I find one for love nor money? No! All the shirts seemed to have fussy collars, strange length sleeves or weird details on them. Very annoying!

hey what did you work as at the regatta? Do you know what the cleaners have to wear? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    waitress; not sure I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    There's a huge demand for on-trend pieces from the majority of customers who frequent the high street chain stores such as Primark, Topshop and Dorothy Perkins, so it's no surprise that so much of it becomes bland and uninspiring after a few hours of trekking around town trying to find something that's at least pretty as well as flattering whilst still being a little bit unique. Plus many of the high street shops source their items from the same place, explaining why you'll find a necklace from Topshop that's suspiciously similar to one from Primark.

If you want something more unique and special..second-hand stores, vintage markets, Ebay.co.uk, one-off boutiques and Etsy.com are your new best friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geeksandtherest)
    I went shopping at this big shopping centre which does have all the usual women's clothing outlets and I was trying to find a dress or decent outfit to wear for this family occasion thing on saturday but was so shocked that every shop i went to and from had the same style of clothes, gosh i was so frustrated.

Does anyone else find that the highstreet shops are get boring by them purchasing and selling the same kind of clothing wear no matter how expensive it is. As I'm beingining to think that they do lack individualism, uniqueness and taste that used to make each shop or chain stand out a few good year a go.

Maybe if they are not careful people in this country will start buying their clothes aboard on the internet from countries like USA, france until these shops do fix up again and bring back the real fashion sense.
    It's even worse for men.

It's all dull and zone-clone-moan.

I do most of my shopping online as I'm a stupendously fussy customer and find the stuff I like unavailable on the high street. But it does mean waiting for prices to come down, or wading through TK Maxx for a diamond in the sand dune.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.