Tution fees may be scrapped Watch

Akkuz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good idea for those who live at home, otherwise no thanks.
El Doctoré de Mystéro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by red_Rose)
I started university in 2006, the first year of this tuition fee system we have now. I feel very angry that i have had to pay alot more money than i would have had I simply been a year older. Im in a fairly large ammount of debt now, with the interest charged on student loans currently significantly more than the bank of Englands interest rate.

I chose to stay at home because I live close enough to university already so I would have taken something like this up, my student loan got saved and bought me a car which I could have saved for anyway.
Same.

Those who started in 2006 and 2007 are the guinea pigs and have ended up with the worst deal. We have to pay more than those before us, but the earnings threshold for government support is much lower than those who started after us.

If they then go on to scrap fees after all that I will be pissed off.
jabed786
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kiwiguy)
In the middle of a recession? He wants to scrap tuition fees? Something he started?

I sometimes think that he is going for a the Guinness book of records for "greatest national debt.."
Wouldnt the debt decrease because then the government wouldnt be giving out the maintenance loans which cost more?

simple figures but:

Giving free tuition worth = 3 x 3500= 10500

Not giving Maintenance loan = 3 x 4000 = 12000

so he is saving money? Im probably wrong but this is what Ive just thought.
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jabed786)
Wouldnt the debt decrease because then the government wouldnt be giving out the maintenance loans which cost more?

simple figures but:

The issue is, though, where and how would the universities make the shortfall? That's £3,225 less per student per year.
Est.1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its a good idea in theory but in practice i can see it going tits up...there would be a greater need for the individual to have a part time job which may in the long run effect studies.

I have a friend who lives at home becasue she has to help support her family..so the grant and loan money she gets goes to the family
Kiwiguy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Just Another Student)
Gordon Brown didn't start the recession. It started in Amercia and has spread all over the world.
TUITION FEE'S.

You paper hat..
Kiwiguy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BJack)
National debt would rise more quickly in prosperous times, so that can't be it.
How does that work?

The economy is running well, so lets go borrow more money...

Your argument is flawed..
jabed786
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by .ACS.)
The issue is, though, where and how would the universities make the shortfall? That's £3,225 less per student per year.
hmm yeah, I forgot about that. Maybe if the unis dont have to give any bursaries either then they can spend the money elsewhere like providing towards their teaching expenses and the gov can give unis more money from using 'profit' attained by not giving away maintenance loans.
Kiwiguy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jabed786)

simple figures but:

Maintance loans would probably still exist...

Either way, this is the Labour Party suggesting that they MIGHT do something, so that everyone thinks what heroes they are, then 4 months from now, they'll quietly announce that it wont go ahead, and bury the news with something else..
Hula129
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MancStudent098)
Wow, this is a stupid idea. Why don't the government get on with sorting out the system they came up with, rather than making random ammendments to appeal to the middle classes.
well said.
IGX_RSV2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good idea... I hope its done in time for the '10 start(if it ever happens).

*drools*
Phobia27
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So it's now an incentive to stay in the comfort of your own home and stay in the same city you grew up in, as opposed to venturing out to another city, learning a lot about independence and finance along the way?

What about people who right now are at home studying for uni, but are still paying tuition fees? Will they get a refund? This idea is awful, it'll just bring a new generation of adults who still live with their parents.
Tintin and the Picaros
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Terrible idea, lest all the university's will be full of scum shan't pay it back. Whilst the dross that attend could affect the education of the well off.
IGX_RSV2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tintin and the Picaros)
Terrible idea, lest all the university's will be full of scum shan't pay it back. Whilst the dross that attend could affect the education of the well off.
You're an idiot.

Just so you know.
Tintin and the Picaros
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by IGX_RSV2)
You're an idiot.

Just so you know.
Well you're a complete spack, just giving my valuable opinion, like you.
Ed.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Dropping tuition fees but removing maintenance loans and grants solves nothing (well apart from the minority who can be put up by their parents at home). If anything I'd argue the other way, trade off a slight increase in tuition fees for an increase in grants.
Just Another Student
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
TUITION FEE'S.

You paper hat..
Oh, sorry. Still, as I say, in private he was against tution fees. It was Blair who wanted them! He would of voted against them, but then he would of lost his job.
The Referee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The economy is running well, so lets go borrow more money...
This was GB's policy as chancellor so it's not surprising that other subscribe to it.

Your argument is flawed..
:yep: It was (and is) recipe for disaster...as we have since seen
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I live in London so this would be great for me! However, unis in the country will be way less in demand, and London unis will likely be even more in demand.
Svenjamin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think it's a good thing to effectively force people to go to the nearest university to where their parents live unless they want a mountain of debt.

City universities will get LOADS of applications from people living nearby, providing more competition for people who want to go to the university for any other reason. Meanwhile, people living in the country far away from any pretigious university are being discriminated against or forced to go to a less reputable university. Plus there's bound to be some students who simply can't afford to go to university unless they get into a university close by, which creates problems if they have no chance of getting into the closest university. It effectively creates a new postcode lottery.

How is scrapping fees and loans symultaneously going to save the government money? Surely it'll result in even more government subsidising?
Last edited by Svenjamin; 9 years ago
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (250)
91.58%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (23)
8.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise