Turn on thread page Beta

The Technologically Advanced Thread. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    Partly why I wouldn't want a Focus. And when your Octavia does go wrong, which one day it will, it will be expensive. All I have to pay for is the occasional new part, you will have the labour costs on top..

Just because its more difficult doesn't mean its impossible for the home mechanic, if a garage can do it so can I and I'd rather it was me that did it. My alternator went on my V6 and there is literally no room to work with but the only thing it cost me was a bit of skin off my knuckles and a few hours removing drive shafts and subframes, no labour charges and I already had a spare one in stock. Its not like these are jobs that need doing every week either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by div curl F = 0)
    Just because its more difficult doesn't mean its impossible for the home mechanic, if a garage can do it so can I and I'd rather it was me that did it. My alternator went on my V6 and there is literally no room to work with but the only thing it cost me was a bit of skin off my knuckles and a few hours removing drive shafts and subframes, no labour charges and I already had a spare one in stock. Its not like these are jobs that need doing every week either.
    Yes and that's all very well, but somehow I don't get the impression that SomeonecalledJohnny has the equipment or knowledge needed to repair his car. Not only that, but a lot of cars are now governed by computers which make it near impossible for the most to do anything past topping up the oil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    Yes and that's all very well, but somehow I don't get the impression that SomeonecalledJohnny has the equipment or knowledge needed to repair his car. Not only that, but a lot of cars are now governed by computers which make it near impossible for the most to do anything past topping up the oil.
    i dont agree with that at all. the computers themselves are easily repaired, how many times have people changed individual sensors or even ECU's, or even had to send them off to be reprogrammed to match an immobiliser. cars, for the most part are still mechanical and can still be fitted with new parts by the average guy who knows what hes doing.

ReputationRep:
    As above, just because there can be upwards of 5 ECUs doesn't mean nothing can be done to them with regards to changing a mechanical part. Even changing a sensor is a mechanical process and most of the time only needs a 5 minute laptop session with something like opel scanner to clear fault codes etc in order to get the car back working as it should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    i dont agree with that at all. the computers themselves are easily repaired, how many times have people changed individual sensors or even ECU's, or even had to send them off to be reprogrammed to match an immobiliser. cars, for the most part are still mechanical and can still be fitted with new parts by the average guy who knows what hes doing.

Yes, which most don't.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.