The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Iluvatar
Commander keen... I so hate that game. I bought it on this compilation CD for £1.99, and it was a waste of money.

In case you're interested, John Carmack made (or was on the team that made) Commander Keen. This is the same guy that is responsible for Doom and Quake, so it can't be all that bad. In fact I played the game myself when it was relatively new and it's pretty good compared to other games of around the same time.
Reply 21
What is the defining factor of a 'retro game'?
bones
In case you're interested, John Carmack made (or was on the team that made) Commander Keen. This is the same guy that is responsible for Doom and Quake, so it can't be all that bad. In fact I played the game myself when it was relatively new and it's pretty good compared to other games of around the same time.

Really? I didn't know that. They certainly improved their game making abilities from then, then.
Egan1
What is the defining factor of a 'retro game'?

Well, I'd say something either two generations of onsoles old (PS2, XBOX, Gamecube is this one, PS1, N64 the last one, so SNES, Megadrive etc. are retro), or games about 10 years old (sort of the same time period as two generations of consoles).
Reply 24
rah
One of my friends has brought commander keen, dizzy and duke nukem with him to uni, far too addictive the lot of them!

Dizzy? That wasn't the sega game where you were an egg or something? I used to love that game when I was little- we borrowed it from someone but unfortunatly had to give it back...shame.

I also used to like playing Zool (this was when I was really young) though all I can remember is jumping over sweets or something. We still have the game but apparently it's so old it wouldn't play on my comp. Alas.

---

For whoever said Quake 3 on the last page- surely that can't be counted as retro?! It's only a couple of years old.
Reply 25
Quake III is nearly 4 years old... doesn't time fly. But i just got off track and mentioned it as best game of all time so far i think. (my opinion)
There's just a feel about it when you play it, that this game is just bloody damn good and right.

I recon that there are a few games worth mentioning from the not quite retro yet era... all that preceded it was classic it self, but Quake was just that significant jump more and better. GTA also classic, still really playable, only a couple of years till that's ten years old. Also one of the best games of it's day: Command and Conquer, original. That's going to be retro even sooner. yeay!!!
Reply 26
What about Unreal Tournament - much better than Quake, although neither are nowhere being retro games yet.
Reply 27
G4ry
What about Unreal Tournament - much better than Quake, although neither are nowhere being retro games yet.

Yes, they're both pretty recent.
Ah...I miss playing UT. My brother will occasionally join in capture the flag matches over the network when he's home but he's at uni now so I don't play. I like sniping and flying around on the rockets -especially when you can impale the enemy as you swoop around.
Reply 28
I loved UT for ages, i became Godlike but true harmony with the environment eluded me... and i never had a low enough ping to do shock combos that don't involve you standing still or running in one direction, I only found it in Quake III which has i think a steeper learning curve, and makes you learn your environment, because the alternative is being slaughtered... UT you could get by just reacting, and without the special powerups, because ther'd be enough people who aren't too good to kill. That said you've reallly got me wanting to play UT now... hmm i will i think. I had a dodgy version of UT2003 back in the summer of 2002, i think that game was the most impressive thing i ever saw in 2002, but it wasn't finished... bot ai was dodgy, and some levels weren't quite right... that said their showcase organic levels were pretty near perfect... i want to get the full version some time... but i want a faster PC first. I think Quake III is better for true mastering of the game, and UT is better for a quick shoot up you can be pleased with however you end up playing.
Eternal Idol
Monkey Island I and II

omg, how could I forget. Best games evar tbh.
Reply 30
byb3
lemmings, was mainly on PC but did come out for those later on. Was and still is my favourite game of all time.

Adam

Yayyyyy lemmings. :biggrin:

And that person who mentioned dizzy - I had a long demo of that once when I was little, and I got really upset because I couldn't get the full version.
Reply 31
Iluvatar
Whats everyones favourite retro game.
I mean anything from Snes/Genesis (megadrive) backwards.

I'd vote Streets of Rage 3, Shining force 2 and Road Rash 3

lol
Reply 32
Wonder Boy :biggrin:
Reply 33
oooo0o! i'd hve to say

Chrono Trigger
Mario Kart
After Burner
..lots of others lol.

I mainly just play RPG's and Fighting games now ;D

p.s. I'm a Final Fantasy + Metal Gear Guru! '_'
I know everything there possibly is to know it^^
Reply 34
heyy Contra was AMAZING - how could anyoen say it was crap!

There was also that pingu-style game with penguins breaking ice... can't remember what it was called but that was lengendary!

and those 2d space galaxy shooting games :biggrin: Tyrian I think
Reply 35
FurbyMaX
Sonic 1 and 2

I think that those two games are just the best.
The levels, the music... It was so long ago when I started playing them, but these two games are still fresh in my mind... They are truly awesome...
Not even a single mention of bubble bobble and rainbow islands so far??? I spent days of my life wasting away whilst on those games. I also had a very amusing game called james pond where u were a superhero fish, did anybody else appreciate its genius???
Reply 37
Zelda 1+2 for the NES, 2 sucked tho.
Reply 38
Iluvatar
Whats everyones favourite retro game.
I mean anything from Snes/Genesis (megadrive) backwards.

I'd vote Streets of Rage 3, Shining force 2 and Road Rash 3

Mortal Kombat
Reply 39
Taslima
oooo0o! i'd hve to say

Chrono Trigger
Mario Kart
After Burner
..lots of others lol.

I mainly just play RPG's and Fighting games now ;D

p.s. I'm a Final Fantasy + Metal Gear Guru! '_'
I know everything there possibly is to know it^^

The first Final Fantasy on the NES was a classic. RPGs wouldn't be where they are today without it.

Latest

Trending

Trending