Turn on thread page Beta

Web Designers? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    People still don't wanna know. And I sent off a copy of my digital portfolio, done in Director MX to no less than fifteen creative agencies, and do you think I got one reply. I don't wanna do a Flash site, I think that more often than not, they are very tacky.

Ideally, I need a client. I don't expect pay (well, not much anyway ), but I can't get one. Any one know anyone who needs a site done (small club, business)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Here's a (sort of) example...it's nothing fancy but it does the job very nicely (and it's the sort of charity that you can talk about to potential employers (they got me my first jobs after I worked as an usher there for 3 months )).

http://www.plazacinema.org.uk/
    That's not bad. What happened to Ruby, didn't she make home?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Infinity)
    That's not bad. What happened to Ruby, didn't she make home?
    No - she was knocked down by a car the day she went missing. The council didn't bother taking a proper description (they said she was ginger when she was a tortoiseshell) or scanning for a microchip so it was almost a week before we knew what had happened for sure .
    Getting over it but Panther (our other cat) is still missing her...spends a lot of his time staring at the cat flap waiting for her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creativesurgeon)
    Ideally, I need a client. I don't expect pay (well, not much anyway ), but I can't get one. Any one know anyone who needs a site done (small club, business)?
    Well it shouldn't, to be honest, be that hard.
    I think it was something like a third of business don't have there own website (or two thirds even!!!), and only half of them are planning to have them in the next 12 months.
    The problem is getitng business to realise that they need you to make them a website.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Where in london are you based?

You can search for music (you mentioned it in your profile so I took it as a starting point) related charities in your area on the charity commision's website. http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk...ties/first.asp

It would be a freeby probably but at the same time charity work looks great on your CV/portfolio.

ReputationRep:
    No - she was knocked down by a car the day she went missing. The council didn't bother taking a proper description (they said she was ginger when she was a tortoiseshell) or scanning for a microchip so it was almost a week before we knew what had happened for sure .
    Getting over it but Panther (our other cat) is still missing her...spends a lot of his time staring at the cat flap waiting for her
    I'm sorry to hear that.

ReputationRep:
    You can search for music (you mentioned it in your profile so I took it as a starting point) related charities in your area on the charity commision's website. http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk...ties/first.asp
    Thank you, that actually does help! Enough about the cat tho, yeah?

ReputationRep:
    People still don't wanna know. And I sent off a copy of my digital portfolio, done in Director MX to no less than fifteen creative agencies, and do you think I got one reply. I don't wanna do a Flash site, I think that more often than not, they are very tacky.

Yeah that is the way to go about it, find non-profit organisations or small businesses who would like their site designed or revamped for fee or low cost. A good start is to redesign the website for your school or college - that was the first site for someone else I did - and I got paid £100 for it (which works out about £2 an hour put never mind). Other local organisations like scouts, sea cadets and things like that might be interested.

But you won't get many ideas asking us - you need to look for local organisations where you can actually meet the clients and they can give you the info you need - Just try and find some small scale local organisations and offer to do their website for them.

One more point - you might have to shelve your flash and dhtml technologies, these people are likely to be looking for easily accesaible websites - so you probably don't want to go over the top.

Also another idea is start your own internet business reselling cds, books, dvds or computer parts or something like that and create a web based business. It's more risky, costs more money and more time, but you will probably enjoy it and it will be something impressive to put on your CV.

ReputationRep:
    So exactly how did I offend you? I actually gave you some advice and you turn arround and give me negative rep, explain yourself.
    Just for the record you don't have enough rep yourself to even take me down a point. Nice try .

ReputationRep:
    So exactly how did I offend you? I actually gave you some advice and you turn arround and give me negative rep, explain yourself.
    Just for the record you don't have enough rep yourself to even take me down a point. Nice try .
    One: You are basically calling me lazy - I don't like that. I came to this forum to get help in trying to get EXPERIENCE - not to be called lazy.

Two: Thank you for your second comment before, it was very helpful.

Three: I don't have to explain myself to anyone, let alone some Yank who is more interested in getting a repuation on a forum and calling people lazy than helpin them out. Get out more mate.

Now can we get back to the original subject?

If you remember what that is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Yeah that is the way to go about it, find non-profit organisations or small businesses who would like their site designed or revamped for fee or low cost. A good start is to redesign the website for your school or college - that was the first site for someone else I did - and I got paid £100 for it (which works out about £2 an hour put never mind). Other local organisations like scouts, sea cadets and things like that might be interested...

...Also another idea is start your own internet business reselling cds, books, dvds or computer parts or something like that and create a web based business. It's more risky, costs more money and more time, but you will probably enjoy it and it will be something impressive to put on your CV.
    Thank you. This is what I've been trying to do. I can't do my college site, or the intranet, not allowed. :mad:

If anyone knows someone (I know, bad Ingles) who needs a site done, preferably in HTML (I prefer working in that anyway), let me know!

Aside from that, I'm entering the Childnet Academy Competition.

ReputationRep:
    One: You are basically calling me lazy - I don't like that. I came to this forum to get help in trying to get EXPERIENCE - not to be called lazy.

Two: Thank you for your second comment before, it was very helpful.

Three: I don't have to explain myself to anyone, let alone some Yank who is more interested in getting a repuation on a forum and calling people lazy than helpin them out. Get out more mate.

Now can we get back to the original subject?

If you remember what that is...
    1) I did not say you were lazy, I said it appeared you didn't want to put the work into your site. Beleive me if I was going to call you lazy I would have came right out and said it. I could care less about my rep on here, however I think it's rude to dish out neg rep when someone has given you advice.
    2) Your welcome for that second comment.
    3)I think you already explained yourself. BTW, trust me I get out plenty, this is just something to pass the time class

ReputationRep:
    1) I did not say you were lazy, I said it appeared you didn't want to put the work into your site. Beleive me if I was going to call you lazy I would have came right out and said it. I could care less about my rep on here, however I think it's rude to dish out neg rep when someone has given you advice.
    2) Your welcome for that second comment.
    3)I think you already explained yourself. BTW, trust me I get out plenty, this is just something to pass the time class
    In that case, my sincere apologies.

Sorry.

Love ya really?

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, just saw your post l'm looking to start an online publication and would like to see some of your work. If you can send me samples of your work and l will get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    looked like this took off big style

ReputationRep:
    The problem is now is that web designing is changing fast and more and more technologies are becoming involved. The term web designer is a bit old fashioned now as quite often when graphics designers create a site this is the sad result

http://www.5thavenuemanchester.com/

It would look good on papar but as a website this kind of design is totaly unsuitable.

There are also so many people involved in web design now so there isn't much work. The best areas in web development is probably serverside coding such as ASP.NET and PHP.NET this also assumes you have good programming and database knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    The problem is now is that web designing is changing fast and more and more technologies are becoming involved. The term web designer is a bit old fashioned now as quite often when graphics designers create a site this is the sad result

http://www.5thavenuemanchester.com/

It would look good on papar but as a website this kind of design is totaly unsuitable.

There are also so many people involved in web design now so there isn't much work. The best areas in web development is probably serverside coding such as ASP.NET and PHP.NET this also assumes you have good programming and database knowledge.
    yea web designer is a bit of a false term really but it, web developer, and graphic designer all cross over. you need all components for a good site.

im alright with graphics, using HTML, and am learning ASP, VB, and i can understand JS when i read it, but wouldnt be confident writing it, so i'd say i can usually make decent sites when i bother.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.