Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    There's a claim that the future has already sent somebody back in time. I read that a man has been witnessed several times in the UK between 1700's-early 1900's, always the same description, in very futuristic-looking clothes, and using precious stones etc. as currency. He predicted accurately what would happen in the future and apparently helped to create train travel and participated in other key events during the Industrial Revolution, without which we wouldn't be as technologically advanced as we are now. He could describe biblical events down to the tiniest details as he said he had witnessed them through time-travel (such as the water into wine wedding), and though there was a lot of scepticism, the man would have been about 160 years at the time of his last sighting.
    I feel that if the future was to send a time-traveller back in time then they wouldn't make themselves obvious, or it might change time for the worse. And wasn't it Einstein who believed that time-travel is theoretically possible by the manipulation of wormholes in space? We're only just beginning to investigate them so time-travel might not be too inconceivable an idea in the future.
    I was beginning to believe you until the biblical stuff. Now I just think he is a regular screwup.

ReputationRep:
    You could kill your grandfather and still exist, provided your dad or mum was already born by then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    I was beginning to believe you until the biblical stuff. Know I just think he is a regular screwup.
    lol, I don't really believe it but I think it's really interesting anyway. Of course he would have attracted a lot of attention in those days as he seemed eccentric - and the Victorian era loved the idea of the supernatural, conspiracy theories etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Well, one form of time travel is possible. Traveling FORWARD in time.

Whether you can kill your own grandfather or not depends on the nature of the time travel. Acourding to the multiple universe theory you might kill your grandfather, but that will only prevent your birth in that universe. The other universe (from which you came) goes on with you being born.

An interesting implication of this theory would be that you could go back in time (say 5 minutes) and shake hand with yourself. Later, you could go back in time again , and shake hand with TWO coppies of yoruself. By repeating this process, hundreds of coppies of yoruself could be created.

The perhaps most interesting argument against time travel being possible must be the perfectly legitimate question: If time travel is possible, then why have we not vitnessed any visit from the future ?
    Is that a mandelbrot diagram?

ReputationRep:
    There's a claim that the future has already sent somebody back in time. I read that a man has been witnessed several times in the UK between 1700's-early 1900's, always the same description, in very futuristic-looking clothes, and using precious stones etc. as currency. He predicted accurately what would happen in the future and apparently helped to create train travel and participated in other key events during the Industrial Revolution, without which we wouldn't be as technologically advanced as we are now. He could describe biblical events down to the tiniest details as he said he had witnessed them through time-travel (such as the water into wine wedding), and though there was a lot of scepticism, the man would have been about 160 years at the time of his last sighting.
    I feel that if the future was to send a time-traveller back in time then they wouldn't make themselves obvious, or it might change time for the worse. And wasn't it Einstein who believed that time-travel is theoretically possible by the manipulation of wormholes in space? We're only just beginning to investigate them so time-travel might not be too inconceivable an idea in the future.
    i'm sceptical about that claim. Stephen Hawking has done a lot of research into the possibility of time travel through black holes. I think his basic theory is that if things disappear into black holes, they reappear from white holes elsewhere in the universe (which i think have been proven to exist) at a different time. something about how the matter of the universe compaccts between the white hole and the black hole so that matter can travel faster between them than elsewhere in the universe. if this were true, then i guess timetravel would be possible. Good old Stephen Hawking.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering, whilst it is undoubtedly impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, time travel may still be a possibility. If you start at A and travel towards B, and light starts at the same point and time, it is possible to arrive at B before light if the light takes a curved path, for example, and you go directly to B at a speed approaching lightspeed.

ReputationRep:
    if you accept that matter isnt destroyed but just changed, then surely killing your grandfather early would not only affect your existence but the would screw up the matter in which made up your grandfather in your present.

also with this your matter couldnt be moved back in time becuase your matter would exist in another form in the past(?) im no scientist however

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    You could kill your grandfather and still exist, provided your dad or mum was already born by then...
    No, surely not, cos if u killed your grandfather then one of your parents would also cease to exist...ohh i see what you mean...wait...man that's confusing... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering, whilst it is undoubtedly impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, time travel may still be a possibility. If you start at A and travel towards B, and light starts at the same point and time, it is possible to arrive at B before light if the light takes a curved path, for example, and you go directly to B at a speed approaching lightspeed.
    oooh that's an interesting theory, do u mean if the passage of light was diverted, for example if it doubled back on itself? yah, i agree in theory that'd be possible...

ReputationRep:
    no, u could kill your grandfather and still exist. Fry did it in futureama. he had sex with a woman who turned out to be his grandmother. So he became his own grandfather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    no, u could kill your grandfather and still exist. Fry did it in futureama. he had sex with a woman who turned out to be his grandmother. So he became his own grandfather.
    I thought Fry went into the future not the past! Must have missed an episode.
    That's a pretty disturbing thought though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Eww, that's twisted. and not possible - he wouldn't become his own grandfather, he'd be the grandfather of somebody else, cos his grandfather's sperm (sorry to get graphic) would contain the elements that made up Fry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Eww, that's twisted. and not possible - he wouldn't become his own grandfather, he'd be the grandfather of somebody else, cos his grandfather's sperm (sorry to get graphic) would contain the elements that made up Fry.
    Maybe Fry became someone else - oh wait, I'm confused now. If he made it back to the future as himself - :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Fry became someone else - oh wait, I'm confused now. If he made it back to the future as himself - :confused:
    I know, this is the most confusing subject. i wish i'd done physics so i knew more about it, it's well interesting. Then again, i'd probably just get more confused and wouldn't be able to sleep at night. It's the same reason i didn't do philosophy. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    trust me. i have the episode on dvd. it's the roswell episdoe. they turn out to be the allien ship that crashed there. fry accidentally killed his grandfather and had sex with a woman who turned out to be his grandmorther.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    I know, this is the most confusing subject. i wish i'd done physics so i knew more about it, it's well interesting. Then again, i'd probably just get more confused and wouldn't be able to sleep at night. It's the same reason i didn't do philosophy. :rolleyes:
    I find Astronomy and astrophysics intresting too, and would have done it to A level if it wasn't for all the equations and other bits of physics which remind me of scary maths. argh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    An interesting implication of this theory would be that you could go back in time (say 5 minutes) and shake hand with yourself. Later, you could go back in time again , and shake hand with TWO coppies of yoruself. By repeating this process, hundreds of coppies of yoruself could be created.
    have you seen the matrix reloaded?

ReputationRep:
    Because I am conscious, I know I have lived my past. Because I am conscious, I know I am still creating my future. Just because I can remember the past, and become in-tune with future (synchronocity and whatnot), I know I am a part of God, or the big picture beyond time itself, beyond the future, past, and present even combined into one to become truth.

Because I am only experiencing reality as I am now, and I have yet to encounter myself or anyone else from a future time, I can safely say that we will not be able to travel back in time until first we can see evidence of the future as a seperate reality--rather than truth, also. If I were to ever travel back in time to meet myself, then that's to say the future, past, and present are all happening now, at once, and my consciousness is worth nothing. Therefore I would first have to encounter myself from the future before I could ever be the future, but in the past.

It would make no sense. If time travel is possible, that's saying that time exists as a sequence...just because we see reality changing, and we have recollection of the past, that doesn't make them existing. Yes, they are true, but since time does exist, you can only hop on and experience it, not change it. See, if you were to go back in time, your body then begin getting younger--as you retrace your tracks. We exist, we change, we are reality. Separation is an illusion, and imagined. We can only predict the future by thinking, and then by not thinking or paying attention, we can receive truth (intuition). If I were to travel forward in time, I would get older. This is obvious. I believe we have the ability to change the future. I know this because when I see a rock, and this rock sits still forever, I have the ability to pick it up and throw it. I don't have to let it sit there, I can choose to move it. At the same time, I can choose not to as well. Either way, since we are spirit, the only way to affect the physical world is by being physical also, that way we don't mess with its destiny.

If a physical body moves a rock, it was meant to be because both are of the same type (physical material). You can only work with what's there, and not create or destroy.

ReputationRep:
    Time is merely a measurement. It is not something that is capable to be moved through.

But then again, if it is a measurement, we can move through 'physical' distances, so why can't we move through time?

But if time travel had been invented at any point in time, we would have known about it, unless we believe that we are the end point of time?!

Time travel creates too many unanswerable questions to be concidered as a reality in current times, and would require generations of new technologies to get to the point where we can even attept to prove whether it is possible, let alone actually travel through time, if it is.

ReputationRep:
    If time travel were possible, would you be able to go back in time and kill your grandfather in order to prevent your own existence?
    No, because a prerequisite of the event you killing your grandfather would be your birth, and a cause of that event would make that prerequisite impossible.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.