Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rae)
    the diceman, luke rhinehart
    has anyone else read it? what did you reckon?
    very good, gets you thinkin, other books ppl suggested like Catch-22, 1984, Animal Farm are very good or you could always read an economic analysis (adam Smith- on the Welath of NAtions), not satire books but also informative ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    very good, gets you thinkin, other books ppl suggested like Catch-22, 1984, Animal Farm are very good or you could always read an economic analysis (adam Smith- on the Welath of NAtions), not satire books but also informative ones.
    have you read the sequel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    Basically, I want to read something new. I have been reading for months and months books by Virginia Andrews (and her ghostwriter).
    I have read and loved the Harry Potter books but I'm looking for a book(s) which are really interesting and that are adultish because I'm stuck in the same book rut which I really need to get out of.
    I was considering Life of Pi but I don't know if its any good and a few of the BBC Big Read Books. Any ideas?
    You should try some Stephen King he is brialliant. I know it isn't considered very highbrow to like King, but I don't care he is my favourite author of all time. Brilliant

ReputationRep:
    rae
    sorry NO, i wanted to but never found it and then couldnt be bothered, its supposed to be gd though

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestion guys!

I have to study Great Expectations for AS and I'm currently ploughing my way through it (read about 7 pages a day) but because the print is a little too small for me I have to wear my glasses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rae)
    the diceman, luke rhinehart
    has anyone else read it? what did you reckon?
    ive read it and it defintely does get you thinking. me and my mate tried doin the dice thing but it ended kinda badly (drink was invloved)
    i do think its a really interesting concept though. daeryxxx

ReputationRep:
    Terry Pratchett's Discworld
    Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials
    Aaron Allston and Michael A. Stackpole's Star Wars:X Wing Series
    J.R.R.Tolkein's Lord of The Rings
    Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird

That should do for starters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    Terry Pratchett's Discworld
    Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials
    Aaron Allston and Michael A. Stackpole's Star Wars:X Wing Series
    J.R.R.Tolkein's Lord of The Rings
    Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird

That should do for starters
    I dont know about pratchett for sixth formers, like harry potter, it was good about four yrs ago. Same goes to philip pullman, although it does have some interesting ideas. And Harper Lee's is gd but it was a set book, if your gonna read about racism read a kids book called Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman.

ps the other two are good though

ReputationRep:
    His Dark MAterials for sure - gotta read it if you havent, it's SOOOOOO good. think cooler harry poter for grown-ups!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    His Dark MAterials for sure - gotta read it if you havent, it's SOOOOOO good. think cooler harry poter for grown-ups!
    It's only the third (and partially The subtle knife) that provoke interesting ideas. m sorry i read them basically as soon as each came out, so a coupla yrs ago and even them i found them a lil childish.

The most amusing thing is that adults are as obsessed with HP as children are, and its not at all like HP. Both arte good but in their own way and i dont think so about recommended reading for 6th form. You want something fun but also something that would help you.

ReputationRep:
    1984 is great....pride and prejudice is really amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    I dont know about pratchett for sixth formers, like harry potter, it was good about four yrs ago.
    You BLASPHEMER

Comparing Harry Potter to Discworld is like comparing LOTR with Thomas The Tank Engine!

Unless you mean the one which he wrote for kids (it was a parody on The Pied Piper) :P

Terry Pratchett is as universal author.

I like him, a year 10 I know likes him, a Uni student likes him, my dad likes him.

To say he belongs to a certain age range is a little bit harsh.

Read some of his books - if it doesn't make sense to u - make sure u read Colour Of Magic and its sequel The Light Fantastic. Those books build the world in which his books are set.

And try to read them in order - Pratchett likes to re-use charachters (like Sam Vimes) a lot and knowing about their earlier exploits can be very useful, if not critical, to his future books.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should read "To Kill A Mockingbird" - such an amazing book.

And Harry Potter is much better than Discworld I've read some Terry Pratchett but I'm not a huge fan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XmAkInA)
    You BLASPHEMER

Comparing Harry Potter to Discworld is like comparing LOTR with Thomas The Tank Engine!

Unless you mean the one which he wrote for kids (it was a parody on The Pied Piper) :P

Terry Pratchett is as universal author.

I like him, a year 10 I know likes him, a Uni student likes him, my dad likes him.

To say he belongs to a certain age range is a little bit harsh.

Read some of his books - if it doesn't make sense to u - make sure u read Colour Of Magic and its sequel The Light Fantastic. Those books build the world in which his books are set.

And try to read them in order - Pratchett likes to re-use charachters (like Sam Vimes) a lot and knowing about their earlier exploits can be very useful, if not critical, to his future books.
    i read lotsa his books and they are great, but like hp, (not as in the same), ive grown mainly outta them. Doesn't mean i wont read the l8est one, just that i don't find them as gd as they were. ps wats ur fav

ReputationRep:
    can some1 who has done GCSEs last year help me?

ReputationRep:
    Paradise lost by Milton

Im reading it at the mo and its is just so woo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizi)
    can some1 who has done GCSEs last year help me?
    what with?

ReputationRep:
    I highly recommend The Comedy by Dante.

ReputationRep:
    ive just started to read LOTR its a good book but very different from the movie... or shud i say the movie is different from the book as the book did come first.
    ive read the harry potter books they were brilliant
    read abit of to kill a mocking bird.. good book too
    half way thru stephen kings insomnia .. very hard to read dont understand it, so ive stopped.

ReputationRep:
    of mice and men is good, what i remember of it from GCSE anyway.

1984-fantastic
    handmaids tale-great too
    lord of the rings is an essential, but slightly heavy read,extremely enjoyable, the hobbit is more accessable and a good introduction to the trilogy
    wouldnt touch H.potter with a barge poll
    fight club, which the film is based on is good.
    dark materials great too!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.