Turn on thread page Beta

Chemistry Salters F332 june 2010 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowsss)
    hmm please say you guys got sulphur was oxidised?
    Yay!
    i did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bla_bla_bla_blaa)
    oh wow.. you sure? will we get marks off if we wrote 22 then? :Confused:

venus' concentration was lower than the earth's, why would they ask how much venus > earth.. doesnt make sense

that's exactly wat i was thinking in the exam hall which is why i got confused. maybe i should have just written 22...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowsss)
    hmm please say you guys got sulphur was oxidised?
    i wrote hydrogen :O

it went from H2O (since hydrogen bonds with another hydrogen, oxidisation state is 0)

to H+

increase in oxidisation state = hydrogen is oxidised

sulphur may well have been oxidised too tho.. i didnt check, i saw the H+ so all i concentrated on was hydrogen lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drummermean)
    Couldn't agree too much more.
    At least it's not just me then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhasan)
    that's exactly wat i was thinking in the exam hall which is why i got confused. maybe i should have just written 22...
    lol when im not sure about whether i should include something i just write it in brackets :s

but yeah, they'll probably just end up forgetting the whole question, and making the paper out of 98..

they've done that with GCSE before - i remember

ReputationRep:
    oh wow.. you sure? will we get marks off if we wrote 22 then? :Confused:

venus' concentration was lower than the earth's, why would they ask how much venus > earth.. doesnt make sense

Venus had more nitrogen because of the increased pressure in the atmosphere (91 times?)

I ended up getting 4 times as much nitrogen, no idea if thats right though!!

ReputationRep:
    By the way people; probably made a stupid mistake. :
    When it says what the primary alcohol turned into, was it an aldehyde or carboxylic acid?

I changed mine towards the end to an aldehyde because it is the first thing it oxidises into. =/

Help?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh that's what I put.
    But I just looked it up.
    Apparently atmospheric pressure would increase amount of molecules so it would be 3.5 x 8000 / 78 so the answer would be like 360 x =/
    =[
    yeah i did think about that in the exam but then figured that if 78% nitrogen was in the atmosphere then that would be how many molecules and that the atmospheric pressure was just close the molecules were to each other rather than the amount of molecules...dont think that makes sense :confused:
    Plus i thought hey its a 2mark question, 1 mark must be for remembering the percentage of nitrogen on earth and the other for the right answer...oh well

ReputationRep:
    By the way people; probably made a stupid mistake. :
    When it says what the primary alcohol turned into, was it an aldehyde or carboxylic acid?

I changed mine towards the end to an aldehyde because it is the first thing it oxidises into. =/

Help?
    it's carboxylic acid, as it said it was heated under reflux

ReputationRep:
    i wrote hydrogen :O

it went from H2O (since hydrogen bonds with another hydrogen, oxidisation state is 0)

to H+

increase in oxidisation state = hydrogen is oxidised

sulphur may well have been oxidised too tho.. i didnt check, i saw the H+ so all i concentrated on was hydrogen lol
    H2O = H-O-H

Hydrogens bonded to another hydrogen? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jetmanchandi)

yeah i think so (even though I put aldehyde too).

ReputationRep:
    i was gonna put aldehyde, but then i thought it must be carboxylic acid as it said it was heated under reflux with the reagent, if it said just heated with the oxidising reagent it would be aldehyde

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jetmanchandi)

For grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Hopefully I still got the UMS (like high 70-% or something) needed to get an A overall - chances are getting slimmer though :B

Will resit if needed.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    well i have to say i thought it all went rather well. i was looking for ages for the value of nitrogen in the earth, then i just had to plump for 78%.

ReputationRep:
    Really can't tell if that went well or not - too many 1 markers! I know I made a few careless errors too (as always). I would like an A, but it's not likely.

ReputationRep:
    You had to times the decimal by 91(venus' pressure compared to earths). I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR_KING)
    well i have to say i thought it all went rather well. i was looking for ages for the value of nitrogen in the earth, then i just had to plump for 78%.
    Same!! I did not know we were meant to know it :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    bromine water formed bromo alcohol!!! Oh noooooooo, I attached two Bromine atoms on my stupid skeletal formula!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    no wayy :O was it br (aq) damn !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattmitch22)
    H2O = H-O-H

Hydrogens bonded to another hydrogen? :confused:
    H20 = o charge overal. Oxygen always has -2. so the H must be +1 since there are 2. Then on the other side it said H+ so it stayed the same =]

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2010

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.